Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests

LAC Shipkiller missile range?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: LAC Shipkiller missile range?
Post by WLBjork   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:54 am

WLBjork
Commander

Well, if you want to use a Mk16G to take out a LAC, be my guest.

Personally, I'd rather shoot it with a less resource intense Viper myself...
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:28 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

WLBjork wrote:Well, if you want to use a Mk16G to take out a LAC, be my guest.

That would depend on what I had available. If I'm commanding an SD(P) I'm going to use an Apollo Pod to take out any LACs that get it the way, 'cause that's what I've got in the magazines.

If I'm commanding anything other than a Katana or other new-style LAC loaded with Vipers, I'm going to use whatever happens to be loaded in the magazines.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Whitecold   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:57 am

Whitecold
Commander

Weird Harold wrote:

That would depend on what I had available. If I'm commanding an SD(P) I'm going to use an Apollo Pod to take out any LACs that get it the way, 'cause that's what I've got in the magazines.

If I'm commanding anything other than a Katana or other new-style LAC loaded with Vipers, I'm going to use whatever happens to be loaded in the magazines.

Every modern Manty ships that is able to fire newest generation countermissiles can be armed with vipers, so the question is if the fire from the main batteries is needed. But I'd rather err on the side of caution and expend more expensive missiles than end up with a swarm of energy-heavy LAC's at minimum range.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:55 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Whitecold wrote:Every modern Manty ships that is able to fire newest generation countermissiles can be armed with vipers, so the question is ...

Actually, the question would be, "are they making use of that ability?"

Vipers are expensive. Using them as counter missiles as well as anti-LAC missiles make sense for Katanas because of limited magazine space. It doesn't make as much sense for larger warships with more magazine space for conventional anti-ship missiles so they don't need the expense of dual-use CMs

Post by Whitecold   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:20 pm

Whitecold
Commander

Weird Harold wrote:Actually, the question would be, "are they making use of that ability?"

Vipers are expensive. Using them as counter missiles as well as anti-LAC missiles make sense for Katanas because of limited magazine space. It doesn't make as much sense for larger warships with more magazine space for conventional anti-ship missiles so they don't need the expense of dual-use CMs

On one of the raids Haven discovered this to their dismay that the Manties could launch Vipers without Katanas, so they made use of that.
More magazine space also means you can embark both types of missiles. How much would depend on expected opposition as well as magazine size.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Whitecold wrote:On one of the raids Haven discovered this to their dismay that the Manties could launch Vipers without Katanas, so they made use of that.

Any chance of you pointing me at that reference? I can't find any reference to "Vipers" that isn't about snakes or Katanas.

Post by Duckk   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

It's in the aftermath of the second Cutworm raids. Chapter 29 of AAC:

Of the four star systems Harrington had hit this time around, only Chantilly had mounted any effective resistance. Not for want of trying, he reminded himself grimly. Rear Admiral Bressand had done his best in Augusta, but he'd been totally outclassed and outgunned . . . and not as cunning as Jennifer Bellefeuille. Harrington's pod-layers had reduced his hyper-capable combatants to scrap metal in return for minor, if any, damage. And when his LACs had closed with suicidal gallantry, they had discovered that the Manties' counter-missile tubes, at least aboard their newer construction, were perfectly capable of launching the "dogfighting" missiles they'd developed for their damned Katanas.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:It's in the aftermath of the second Cutworm raids. Chapter 29 of AAC:

Thanks.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Duckk wrote:It's in the aftermath of the second Cutworm raids. Chapter 29 of AAC:

Thanks.
Glad Duckk found and posted it.
I've tripped up trying to locate that reference before, since it doesn't actually use the word "Viper". (Which makes sense in context, but does complicate a keyword search :D )
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi WLBjork,

One of the jobs of a Roland has as a screening element is to kill LAC's with its Mk-16's, be they 15 or 40 megaton warheads.

I suspect a Mk-16 is cheaper than a viper, or even a Mk-31 CM.

It can also kill them with its broadside lasers, which are too small to hurt much else.

That's what a destroyer is for after all.

L

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse