Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 145 guests

LAC Shipkiller missile range?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
LAC Shipkiller missile range?
Post by Roguevictory   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:00 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I know LAC missiles have warheads equivalent to standard CL/DD grade missiles but do they have the same drive range as a single drive CL/DD weapon? I was discussing this with a friend, and I believe I read somewhere that they were shorter ranged than a DD/CL missile despite having an equivalent warhead but I can't recall where I read that, assuming that I am remembering correctly.
Re: LAC Shipkiller missile range?
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:I know LAC missiles have warheads equivalent to standard CL/DD grade missiles but do they have the same drive range as a single drive CL/DD weapon? I was discussing this with a friend, and I believe I read somewhere that they were shorter ranged than a DD/CL missile despite having an equivalent warhead but I can't recall where I read that, assuming that I am remembering correctly.

It's mentioned in AAC that the RMN LACS have the same missile range as the Havenite CA/BCs with single drive missiles at BoMA

There were still thirty-three battlecruisers and forty-one heavy cruisers waiting for the incoming strike, ready to begin punching missiles at it as soon as they had the range. But the Manticoran LACs' closing velocity was over fifty thousand kilometers per second. Current-generation Havenite single-drive missiles had a powered range from rest of just over seven million kilometers. Given the geometry, they had a theoretical maximum range of almost 16.5 million, as did the LACs' attack missiles. That sounded like a lot . . . except that, at the Manticorans' closing velocity, they would streak straight across the entire engagement envelope in 317 seconds.

*Bolding mine*
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:07 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I guess I was remembering incorrectly than. Thanks.
Post by drothgery   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:I guess I was remembering incorrectly than. Thanks.

You might have been thinking of Vipers, which are shorter-ranged than standard LAC offensive missiles.
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

drothgery wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:I guess I was remembering incorrectly than. Thanks.

You might have been thinking of Vipers, which are shorter-ranged than standard LAC offensive missiles.

Yeah I must have read about the Vipers being shorter-ranged and thought it applied to the ship-killers as well.
Post by Relax   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:Yeah I must have read about the Vipers being shorter-ranged and thought it applied to the ship-killers as well.

Keep thinking an upcoming book will have Vipers with ability to go to 1/2 power and 3x duration. Ah, 65,000g @225s. :D

16+ Mkm raaaaangeeeeeeee.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:Yeah I must have read about the Vipers being shorter-ranged and thought it applied to the ship-killers as well.

Keep thinking an upcoming book will have Vipers with ability to go to 1/2 power and 3x duration. Ah, 65,000g @225s. :D

Although if the drives can do that, then can they still do it if scaled up to DD/CL weight missiles?

Because 16 million km is marginally more than 50% power LERM range; and crossing that range in roughly 35 less seconds is nothing to sneeze at. 2nd Gen LERMs :D
Post by lyonheart   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:19 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi All,

I don't recall a reference to the Mk-31/Viper tonnage compared to the 12.5 ton old 1 M km CM, let alone the 1.5 M km of SoS, so I've expected something in the 25-30 ton range, has there been an update I missed?

L

Jonathan_S wrote:
Relax wrote:**quote="Roguevictory"**
Yeah I must have read about the Vipers being shorter-ranged and thought it applied to the ship-killers as well.**/quote**

Although if the drives can do that, then can they still do it if scaled up to DD/CL weight missiles?

Because 16 million km is marginally more than 50% power LERM range; and crossing that range in roughly 35 less seconds is nothing to sneeze at. 2nd Gen LERMs :D
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Relax   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:22 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi All,

I don't recall a reference to the Mk-31/Viper tonnage compared to the 12.5 ton old 1 M km CM, let alone the 1.5 M km of SoS, so I've expected something in the 25-30 ton range, has there been an update I missed?

L

Nope. Ya haven't gone that senile yet.

We will all let ya know when that happens :D
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Roguevictory   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:01 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Relax wrote:

It might be possible but I'm not sure how often the Vipers will be appearing for a while since SL LACS are almost certainly vastly inferior to their GA counterparts.

Return to Honorverse