Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests

GA PR campaign for splitting and collapsing the SL

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
GA PR campaign for splitting and collapsing the SL
Post by lyonheart   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:46 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

"Howdy Everybody"

I meant to post this last Monday, but things kept getting in the way.

We haven't seen the GA's PR campaign in action yet.

Granted we should have, but what should it include?

Given there are quite a varied list of target population audiences among the ~1800+ members and 'several hundred protectorates', what should be the universal points common to all the campaigns?

While the OFS is one of the major leading crimes of the SL, the core system populations generally remain ignorant of what OFS does and the SL condones in their name.

Detailing the SL's callous attitude toward everyone one else beyond the 'old league' core (including the shell); despite their avowals of civilized behavior and claims they're civilized humanity's leaders, learning what the OFS really does, what it actually approves of the transtellar abuse, driving the protectorate's population into serfdom or virtual slavery to the transtellar who bought it from OFS, preventing the general economic improvement it's claimed as its purpose to justify seizing control in return for the theft of the system GDP via the protectorate service fees that can exceed 35% or more [Saltash was rather high, but evidently not the highest the RMN knows of] to feed the voracious cancer of the SL bureaucracies in violation of their own constitution.

Making it plain across all social media etc, with testimonials from eye witness investigators and survivors, leaked through government censorship [though such systems wouldn't be immediate targets] if necessary [given the GA's war-tech competition there ought to be many ways to subvert and avoid such censorship by a variety of communication tricks], to rip the ignorance away [and possibly some of their arrogance] to put the sollies on the defense psychologically, to leave them wondering what else they are ignorant of; ie preparing them for the later revelations including these that follow here:

1. First and Second New Tuscany should be near the top of the list; indicating the SL's and SLN's attitude towards other nations and navies.

I've posted before that the fleeing freighters from NT ought to have been able to get some sensor imagery showing a FF BC getting blown away from 40 million km, well beyond the SLN's missile range, and could have gotten free drinks in most of the pubs or taverns of the verge if not the shell, if they were careful, that was about a year ago, how many systems could they have visited, with many more copies being made and spread by other freighters each time as it gets to a new system, so how many systems have been visited by some freighter that claims to have "original" imagery of Byng getting blitzed?

Then there are the freighters who visited Spindle while the two trophy BC's were there that can corroborate 2nd NT actually happened.

2. Then there are the SL newsies that 'saw' the BoS; all the imagery of the 'discussions' between Crandall et al, visited the surrendered ships, talked with captured crews, possibly Admiral Cleary before she left etc; some of whom may be a mite miffed at being insulted as being part of some SEM trick; what that leads to will also be interesting.

Then there are all the freighters who saw it and spread it around, darn few of them headed to Sol, so their news will be the first for most of their viewers, and its been almost a year, so how many in the verge have now heard or seen that imagery?

3. Then there is Cachat and Zilwicki's "Mission to Mesa", as it will probably be known, :D that changed all the preconceptions about Manpower and Mesa; which has to be explained to minimize the potential misunderstanding while emphasizing the MAlign's plans, possibly with the Streak Drive confirmed by Aldona's trips between Mesa, Meyers, and NT etc.

4. Oyster Bay; which must explain what happened and what didn't, yet also emphasize the SL's reaction; an admission that they didn't and couldn't do it, yet didn't much care who did it or why or how but was really willing to take advantage of it to attack the SEM when it might be depressed or discouraged, ie the attitude more of a jackal or vulture or pirate than the nominal leaders of civilized humanity.

5. Nolan, Zunker, and Saltash: Nolan; SLN FF willingness to fire on merchant ships, followed by -Case Buccaneer-, since Governor Medusa mentioned it explain it to the curious in the protectorates, verge and shell.

Zunker; clear case of OFS sending FF to possible deaths and RMN restraint.

Saltash; Typical blatant misuse of power by OFS governor, 4 FF BC's destroyed by 5 RMN DD's, recovery of crews and ships, no evidence for any of Governor's claims.

Maybe the ship owner's will claim Duenas's out system wealth and pension for their lost profits. ;)

6. 2nd BoM; the SEM knew Filaretta was coming, tried to get Kolokoltsov to send somebody to order him to stand down and he repeatedly refused.

All the imagery from HA-H and Filaretta etc, I think the theory needs to be put out as one possible explanation, not by the GA leadership but one analyst among others.

7. Beowulf and Admiral Tsang; Imagery of admirals Simpson and Tsang being SL bullies, Beowulf's and Truman's responses.

8. Humiliation of Beowulf for saving SLN lives by the Mandarins, how corrupt the EC and everything on Terra is.

Beowulf's response; we quit.

9. Expected defeat of SLN at Beowulf; subtext you can't quit, we said so; but the GA begs to differ...

The mandarins may try 4-500 SD's this time, for around half of active BF captured or destroyed etc, with some damage to civilian property and lives that indicate again SL not worthy to be humanity's leader or assumed protector.

10. Mobius etc [Loomis when the GA finally visits]; exactly what OFS and FF do in the protectorates, why the SL doesn't have any friends out there.

11. Which provides the pretext to destroy the SLN reserves, their major bases and shipyards.

12. What is your system's decision? Where do you stand?

If you have more ideas, please feel free to share.

L

PS: what do you think are the top 3 or 4?
Last edited by lyonheart on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Re: GA PR campaign for splitting and collapsing the SL
Post by Garth 2   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:31 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

The SEM has always maintained a good PR base on Earth and therefore probably across the core of the SL (referenced from MoH when Admiral Weber was killed), so they can easily initiate a PR campaign.

However we also saw how the SL 'department for education' was able to easily drown them out and 'motivate' at least a part of the population.

The problem is that SL public are so use to being spoon fed lies/distortions and have the 'we're right your not' mentality (look at how the SL trader talked to the Manti Ship Captain and the underlying assumption without actually thinking about the available information as this was a planet a distance from Sol) that breaking that barrier is going to be hard.

Even when the SL news stations knew they where being tools for Public Information on Haven by broadcasting state propaganda (not investigative journalism) straight into the SL, the public never held them to account (even after Harringtons return from the dead, I doubt they really changed).

Also once it turns out that Anton is alive (and didn't set off a nuke), a fact that the SL news stations have been stating with out qualifications, isn't really going to fundamentally alter their behaviour (oh, well Mesa got it wrong and we never question them :roll: ).

On a local level there probably is enough 'honest journalists' to have an impact but until the courier news network starts to breakdown I expect them to be drown out on Interstellar affairs.
Post by SWM   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:23 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

We actually know from textev that Manticore has spread their version of 1 through 4 throughout the Solarian League, along with video footage. So there isn't much more they can do there; League members have already seen and heard it. League experts have declared the footage faked, and Manticore has maintained that they are real. I don't see what else Manticore can do on that front.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:28 am

namelessfly

The best, or at least most effective, PR gesture would be to respond to the impending attack on Beawulf by first destroying the SLN ships then making the short hop from the Beawulf terminus to Sol system with a squadron of SD(P)s to blow away all of the remaining SLN fleet (including reserves), SLN fleet bases, and shipyards known to build ships and parts for the SLN.

I suppose that the RMN should be gracious enough to grant the inhabitants of the various space platforms an opportunity to surrender and evacuate rather than just blowing them away from long range to kill millions of people as occurred at Oyster Bay.

The RMN might even take steps to ensure that no "fragments" from orbital facilities impact inhabited planets to kill millions.
Post by Hutch   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:39 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

namelessfly wrote:The best, or at least most effective, PR gesture would be to respond to the impending attack on Beawulf by first destroying the SLN ships then making the short hop from the Beawulf terminus to Sol system with a squadron of SD(P)s to blow away all of the remaining SLN fleet (including reserves), SLN fleet bases, and shipyards known to build ships and parts for the SLN.

I suppose that the RMN should be gracious enough to grant the inhabitants of the various space platforms an opportunity to surrender and evacuate rather than just blowing them away from long range to kill millions of people as occurred at Oyster Bay.

The RMN might even take steps to ensure that no "fragments" from orbital facilities impact inhabited planets to kill millions.

You're a bloodly-minded individual at times, fly. But I likes ya anyway (well, sorta 8-) :) ).

However, I do agree that a raid on SLN assets in the Sol systme is possible--not conquering perse, just do what you describe...and leave, without even talking to the Mandarins or the SL Government.

Psycologically (sic) it might be the hammer blow other systems need to say "^&(%%^&% this, I'm looking after myself first.

Or not. Knowing the mind of the MWW on this one is going to be tough.

We shall see, eventually. IMHO as always. YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:31 pm

namelessfly

Hutch wrote:
namelessfly wrote:The best, or at least most effective, PR gesture would be to respond to the impending attack on Beawulf by first destroying the SLN ships then making the short hop from the Beawulf terminus to Sol system with a squadron of SD(P)s to blow away all of the remaining SLN fleet (including reserves), SLN fleet bases, and shipyards known to build ships and parts for the SLN.

You're a bloodly-minded individual at times, fly. But I likes ya anyway (well, sorta 8-) :) ).

However, I do agree that a raid on SLN assets in the Sol systme is possible--not conquering perse, just do what you describe...and leave, without even talking to the Mandarins or the SL Government.

Psycologically (sic) it might be the hammer blow other systems need to say "^&(%%^&% this, I'm looking after myself first.

Or not. Knowing the mind of the MWW on this one is going to be tough.

We shall see, eventually. IMHO as always. YMMV.

Notice that I suggested that the RMN should not inflict such wanton destruction. However; the RMN should perform demonstration KE strikes on u.inhabited moons to remind everyone of OB
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:However, I do agree that a raid on SLN assets in the Sol systme is possible--not conquering perse, just do what you describe...and leave, without even talking to the Mandarins or the SL Government.

Psycologically (sic) it might be the hammer blow other systems need to say "^&(%%^&% this, I'm looking after myself first."

Both sides seem to agree that raids on the Sol System are off the table -- too much risk of unifying, rather than dividing, the League. So Sol and its major SLN facilities will be left to form the core of a new Solar League -- one which is more selective in its appeal.

Raids on other SLN bases and shipyards, on the other hand, should impress nearby systems with the League's impotence. Along with that, the PR campaign should be telling anyone who will listen about the GA's view of 'How We All Got Into This Mess'. Complete with whatever they've got that the Core Worlds can check for themselves. There are at least a couple of things:

1) The streak drive: include copies of Simões' debriefings, and say that, "our hyperspace physicists have looked into this and haven't found any flaws -- can yours do better?"

2) With the captured records of SLN ships, the Manties can construct a timeline for the movements of the squadrons of Byng, Crandall, and Filareti. Given the minimum times for orders to go out to assemble and move these forces, it looks a lot more like one planned offensive against the Manties than like a series of actions in reaction to prior events. So who's driving this, and why?

In addition, the GA could release POWs, say 1000 per month, to report on the conditions of their confinement -- and what they know about events like the Battle of Manticore. Send them back by various routes, not just via Beowulf, to be sure the word gets around.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:22 am

munroburton
Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:1) The streak drive: include copies of Simões' debriefings, and say that, "our hyperspace physicists have looked into this and haven't found any flaws -- can yours do better?"

Releasing the streak drive as open-source would be an interesting move, since it'd level the playing field somewhat. However, by doing so, the GA would deprive themselves of the opportunities to spot any of the MA's streak boats because their speedier transits no longer stand out.

The GA would also lose the advantage of speedier hyperspace transits over the League and anyone else(an advantage they do not have in use - yet). On the other hand, they would still control the wormhole bridges and thus continue to possess a strategical advantage over everyone, with the exception of the MA's secret wormhole network.

I would wait until a significant proportion of my own Navy was equipped with them. Aside from the obvious strategical reason, there's also the desirability of gaining operational experience with what is, after all, enemy technology.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:00 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

I sort of agree. Hyperion Station (the one orbiting Mars, see ART Chapter 27) is a legitimate military target. Since I seriously doubt if Mars has been terraformed (why would anyone want to?) there's no reason to worry about flying fragments. It's the SLN's single largest construction and service facility as well as the home of Logistics Command (LogCom). The other half-dozen SLN construction and service sites are smaller, although I suppose in aggregate they could well be larger.

They should, however, stop there as far as Sol is concerned. No demonstration strikes on minor targets, etc. Taking out LogCom all by itself would probably spoil any military bureaucrat's day.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:32 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:...Since I seriously doubt if Mars has been terraformed (why would anyone want to?) ...

According to "By The Book" by Charles E. Gannon in the anthology Beginnings implies that there is a small but significant permanent population on Mars at the beginning of the Diaspora. It likely has not diminished in the last 2,000 years, and probably grown.

By The Book
By Charles E. Gannon
in Beginnings
Edited By David Weber
wrote:
...So it was left—as so many dirty jobs were—to the Upsiders, that very small population that lived either on the moon, on Mars, or in the rotational habitats. It was they who maintained the satellites, mined the belt, or helped to build the slower-than-light starships that sent feckless, and usually obstreperous, bits of the human race off to colonize other star systems.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse