Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Stuck in hyper space

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Stuck in hyper space
Post by Relax   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:17 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Or you could read the foundation Tech Bible for the entire series of books, appendix in Short Victorious War.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by SWM   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:04 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Here are more specific answers to your questions, Skimper:
Lord Skimper wrote:Stars produce gravity?

Don't warshaski sails produce the power for the ship, while in hyperspace?

No. Warshawski sails produce power for the ship while in grav waves. Grav waves represent a tiny fraction of the volume of hyperspace. Outside of grav waves, Warshawski sails produce neither power nor acceleration--they are useless outside of grav waves. Ships use impeller wedges in hyperspace except when they are in grav waves.
Also don't impellars have to worry about interacting with the grav bands not just grav waves. Particularly when crossing them.

No, impellers do not have to worry about interacting with hyperspace, or crossing hyperspace bands. The only thing they have to worry about is interacting with grav waves.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:20 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:You do realize that there are no topics about Warshawski sails and use in hyperspace in the Pearls! Unless it is hidden in another topic.

I couldn't find it.

IIRC, there is, however, a discussion by RFC somewhere on this forum. It just didn't make it into the Pearls. It ought to be in the flurry of discussions about how the Awesome Power of Plot in Torch of Freedom caused the Hali Sowli's hyper generator to break down, thus stranding Anton and Victor long enough for the rest of the plot to catch up and be ready for their revelations.

That discussion included a short discussion about being stranded in hyperspace instead of normal space, and how the decision is made.

The survival technique is simply to head for a well-trafficed system, stop in a traffic lane with your wedge up so you'll be noticed, and wait for someone to notice you.
Post by Vince   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:You do realize that there are no topics about Warshawski sails and use in hyperspace in the Pearls! Unless it is hidden in another topic.

I couldn't find it.

It isn't in the Pearls. It is in the Books!

<climbs on soapbox and shouts>

READ* THE BOOKS!

</climbs down from soapbox and resumes speaking normally>

* If you can't afford to buy the books and then read them, see if your library has copies, but Read The Books! If you don't read the books, and just rely on the bits of information given in the Pearls and the author's posts on this forum, you will be (to borrow this thread's title) Stuck In Hyper Space, probably without a paddle. You will also be wasting your time.**

** You have said you like to philosophize. If you wanted to have a meaningful discussion with someone, wouldn't you learn as much as possible about the subject before the discussion? For example, if the subject was about a particular style of music, wouldn't you actually listen (as opposed to just reading reviews or the lyrics - if the songs have lyrics) to many, many different songs in that particular style of music before attempting to discuss that style of music? If you don't put in the time and effort to thoroughly know the subject you want to discuss, you end up embarrassing yourself with your ignorance*** in front of everyone who listens to your statements in the discussion, as well as wasting both your time as well as whoever you are (attempting to, not succeeding) talking to in your (attempted) discussion.

*** Ignorance is NOT to be confused with stupidity. (For example a newborn baby is ignorant of almost everything in the world. It doesn't necessarily mean the baby is stupid.) As far as I know, science hasn't come up with a way to cure stupidity. But ignorance can be cured with education, provided the person who is ignorant of a subject applies their self to acquiring knowledge of that subject.

<climbs on soapbox and shouts>

SO READ ALL THE BOOKS.

READ ALL THE BOOKS AT LEAST ONCE.

THEN READ THEM ALL AGAIN.

</climbs down from soapbox and resumes speaking normally>

Continue to reread the books as necessary.

Then, come back to the forums to discuss topics from the books.

We now return you to your regular thread subject.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Relax   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:51 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

If you are on a budget: Buy the hardback Mission of Honor it has all of the books on a CD up to MoH. You even get ALL of David Webers published Baen books as well.

In fact you get other authors books as well.

Sure wish the free Baen author library didn't go away. I found several authors I now purchase books from in it.

Stupid Amazon deal. Truly the internet monster now. The Chinese equivalent is even larger. Not surprising as it is government controlled. Right, my bad, officially it is "privately owned". It is google/amazon/netflix/ebay all combined into one. The ol' axiom a capitalist will even sell you the rope to hang him is so true in this instance.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:If you are on a budget: Buy the hardback Mission of Honor it has all of the books on a CD up to MoH. You even get ALL of David Webers published Baen books as well.

Sure wish the free Baen author library didn't go away. I found several authors I now purchase books from in it.

All 28-ish CDs are still downloadable at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Relax   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Relax wrote:If you are on a budget: Buy the hardback Mission of Honor it has all of the books on a CD up to MoH. You even get ALL of David Webers published Baen books as well.

All 28-ish CDs are still downloadable at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

The links are there, the files are not. See my previous post due to the Amazon deal for selling Baen Books.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Relax   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:35 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Here is the Pearl regarding Warshawki sails. If you have not read the early books...

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/144/1

Bolding(spelling) mine:

When the wall is bent, energy is siphoned across it from the "higher" hyper band on its other side. Hyper-space is an area of inherently higher energy levels, and the siphon effect could be considered a sort of strictly limited, primitive ancestor of the "core tap" in the Mutineers' Moon Universe. The initial power for the wedge has to come from internal sources -- current generation and stored power. Once the initial energy investment is made, something like 60% of the energy necessary to maintain and power the wedge is drawn through the "siphon" effect. Warshawski sails, because of their interaction with the gravity ways(sp waves) in which they are used, provides a substantially more powerful version of the siphon effect; that's why a ship moving under sail can provide its total energy budget through its sails, whereas a ship moving under impeller wedge cannot.
Last edited by Relax on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by drothgery   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Relax wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:All 28-ish CDs are still downloadable at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

The links are there, the files are not. See my previous post due to the Amazon deal for selling Baen Books.

The CD.zip and ISO.zip links work (or at least something big starts downloading when I click on them). You can't go straight to the individual books, though.

Edit: The iso.zip link definitely works as of today (2014-06-02)
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:The links are there, the files are not. See my previous post due to the Amazon deal for selling Baen Books.

Fifth Imperium wrote:Effective January 5, 2013, this CD index has had its book links removed in compliance with a request by Baen. The individual books are no longer available for direct download. If you want one or more of the books on this CD, please go to the site home page and download the CD ISO or zipped CD contents. The individual files are no longer hosted on this server, so please do hunt for them.

The CD and ISO Zip files are still there. You just can't read them online or download single files.

I just re-downloaded and double-checked the Mission of Honor CD.zip and all of the files are there including the eARC of mission of Honor (which wasn't on the CD included with my first edition HB.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse