Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 93 guests

Real life crazy desperation military actions that worked

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Real life crazy desperation military actions that worked
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sat May 31, 2014 2:49 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

Lord Skimper wrote:I think the 6000 romans who defeated 240,000 Britons might have been considered better sword and shield troops. Although the Spartans might have been in contention vs the Persians. But then they didn't do very well against the Romans.

Funny how all these great armies and warriors no longer are great warriors and armies. The Solarian League was once the mighty Romans but is now just the Italian Army. Who is next the royal Manties becoming the Imperial Manties?

Battle of the Teutoburg Forest? Not the Roman Army's finest hour. Just goes to show that you can have well trained troops, but if the CO is incompetent they're gassed.

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:While we discuss men taking limpets into harbors,
let us remember that the Italians had great success
with them against the Brits in the Mediterranian.
Two or three BBs in Alexandria Harbor, IfIRC.

HTM

Two in Alexandria Harbour - HMS's Queen Elizabeth and Valiant. They also caused a fair bit of damage in Gibralter as well. There they used an Italian tanker interned in Algeciras Harbour as a base.

IMHO, the Italians redeem their WW2 reputation by being damn good at small unit warfare. They were so succesful that the Royal Navy copied the Maiale concept with the Chariot. Properly led and equipped they were just as good as anyone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima_Flottiglia_MAS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_commando_frogmen

Oh, if you want a really good against the odds battle, what about the Finns at Tali-Ihantala?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tali-Ihantala

Mike. :)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat May 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Michael Riddell wrote:IMHO, the Italians redeem their WW2 reputation by being damn good at small unit warfare. They were so succesful that the Royal Navy copied the Maiale concept with the Chariot. Properly led and equipped they were just as good as anyone else.
On the 'equipped' front one of the things that really stuck with me from reading Few Returned: Twenty-eight Days on the Russian Front, Winter 1942-1943 was that as the German Army was reeling back from the Russians in disarray the Italian soldier was envious of how lavishly they were equipped in winter equipment and motor vehicles.

This is the same German Army that wasn't able to sustain their Russian operations due to lack of sufficient motorized logistics and was freezing to death because they hadn't brought up most of their winter gear (and there wasn't enough room in logistics pipeline to bring it forward after the attack bogged down in front of Moscow). The army that was significantly deficient in trucks compared to any of the Allied armies at the time.

If someone thinks the Germany army is well equipped at that point, their own army's equipment and logistics must be an unmitigated disaster.

(But yes, the Italian special ops units were very dangerous opponents; for various reasons the rest of their military was not so well equipped, trained, or led)
Post by Mobryan   » Sat May 31, 2014 6:41 pm

Mobryan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

jtg452 wrote:
saber964 wrote:[
Your facts are a little mixed up.

The attack on Singapore was IIRC an X-craft raid and damaged IJNS Takao. The raid you are referring to was Operation Frankton and was a Commando raid in sea going canoes on merchant ships in the French port of Bordeaux. It was later portrayed in the movie Cockelshell Heroes in 1955

Nope.

I may have Singapore wrong but there was a British officer in the Far East that tried to pull off kayak raids. He succeeded on the first one (blew up/damaged a couple freighters? not a lot of damage but it got the Japanese's attention), tried the second one, failed and I think he was killed during escape and evasion. I had a book about him when I was a kid. My grandmother loved haunting old second hand book stores and always picked up oddball books like this one for me (I also got a 1st edition of Robert Service poetry the same way). The dust cover had a painting of him on it and I remember the chest tattoo. It sounded like a work of fiction to me, too, but there were pictures of him and some of his men inside the book taken during their prep and training for the missions. I remember the formal picture of him in his uniform looked like the quintessential British officer of the era right down to the little garrison mustache and on the next page it showed him wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and shoes with the big tattoo of a tiger head on his chest beside a canvas kayak.

Like I said in the first post, I can't remember his name for the life of me. If I could, I'd do a web search and provide a link. It sounds crazy enough that it has to be either be pure fiction or something one of those crazy British officers of the era would try.

Army Captain Ivan Lyon, Operations Jaywick and Rimau. They sailed a fishing boat named the "Krait" 2000+ miles and successfully attacked a major anchorage in canvas kayaks...

The best reference I am aware of is the book "Return of the Tiger" by Brian Connelly. (Doubleday, 1960.)

Matt
Post by jtg452   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:57 am

jtg452
Captain of the List

Mobryan wrote:
Army Captain Ivan Lyon, Operations Jaywick and Rimau. They sailed a fishing boat named the "Krait" 2000+ miles and successfully attacked a major anchorage in canvas kayaks...

The best reference I am aware of is the book "Return of the Tiger" by Brian Connelly. (Doubleday, 1960.)

Matt

That's him.

Thank you for taking the time to look it up.

I did some searches on British Special Operations in the Far East but, since I didn't have an Operation code name, I was swamped with information. I'm in the process of wading through it but I'm not up to Operation J***** yet.

I wiki'd him and found a picture to be sure.

I'll get to searching a little later this week and see if there's a picture of the cover of the book by Connelly. I bet it came with yellow dustcover with a painting of Lyon on the front, shirtless with the tiger tattoo on his chest showing and holding a Sten gun at low ready.
Post by Mobryan   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:15 am

Mobryan
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

jtg452 wrote:
I'll get to searching a little later this week and see if there's a picture of the cover of the book by Connelly. I bet it came with yellow dustcover with a painting of Lyon on the front, shirtless with the tiger tattoo on his chest showing and holding a Sten gun at low ready.

Yep. My copy is dustcoverless, but Amazon shows that image on the copies they have. I did misspell the authors name, though. It's Connell, no "Y"

Matt
Post by Michael Riddell   » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:(But yes, the Italian special ops units were very dangerous opponents; for various reasons the rest of their military was not so well equipped, trained, or led)

Too many superheated farts with no substance at the top. Blame Il Duce for that, the Italians do! ;)

TBH, it's just as well Mussolini diverted so much equipment and men to Russia. If they'd been sent to North Africa and the whole Italian force there upgraded to the same level of motorisation it would have given 8th Army a bigger migraine than it had already.

Mike.
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------

Return to Honorverse