Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests

How fast can the Streak Drive climb hyper bands?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How fast can the Streak Drive climb hyper bands?
Post by SWM   » Thu May 29, 2014 2:41 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Dreamrider,

I suppose it depends on your point of view.

The fact the MAlign are still years and years away from matching or duplicating the RMN's micro-miniaturization tech; FTL.comms, mini-fusion reactors, computers, Apollo's etc, to say nothing of MDM's despite at least ten years of concentrated effort despite knowing it could be done indicates they're far behind, and the Detweilers have admitted it.

The Streak Drive and Spider drives are new, but they seem more like new discoveries that the MAlign's DARPA analogue is desperately trying to weaponize all too quickly, only to find all the unk-unks [unknown-unknowns] biting them on the rear end.

The Sharks were supposed to be training not warships, because they were so crude.

Given how things aren't going to plan, I expect to see the Sharks used again in combat, only things don't go so well for them, ie much higher casualties, as the Detweilers readily admit.

The Spider drive is so new the Sharks don't have a compensator but grav plates with decks angled 3 ways from each other which seems rather crude to me, besides other textev.

Yes, its a strategic breakthrough, like Fulton's working submarine with a sail for strategic transport; but it's a very primitive capability and demonstrating it so early could be considered another eventual nail in the MAlign's coffin.

L

The Sharks were supposed to be used for training because they were smaller and finished before the giant Detweilers, not because they were crude. And the reason they don't have compensators is not because they are crude, but because they don't have impeller drives. Without an impeller wedge to use as a sump for inertia, a compensator does not work. And you can't put both a spider drive and an impeller ring on the same ship--the required shapes are incompatible. Therefore, a spider drive ship must use grav plates to counter acceleration instead of using an inertial compensator. It isn't because the spider drive ships are crude--it is a necessity of physics.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu May 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Jonathan_S,

Quite right. ;)

We have the textev that it can reach 4500C, but that doesn't mean it always will, the various hyper bands shifting as they will.

L

Do you recall where that bit of text-ev was? I don't recall it from reading, and I only turned up two indirect references to the streak drive's speed when I looked.

I just did another trawl through the ebooks to see if maybe it was in one of the newer books, but I still couldn't find it... (Which is why I'd taking a shot at calculating it based on the two streak drive transit times we'd gotten, from MoH and SftS)
Post by drothgery   » Thu May 29, 2014 4:00 pm

drothgery
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:The Streak Drive and Spider drives are new, but they seem more like new discoveries that the MAlign's DARPA analogue is desperately trying to weaponize all too quickly, only to find all the unk-unks [unknown-unknowns] biting them on the rear end.
I don't actually think we've seen a streak drive warship yet.
Post by Lilybelle   » Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Lilybelle
Midshipman

The Streak Drive has so far only been used to equip dispatch boats-I have wondered if the power requirements may be so high that MAlign hasn't got the power budget to use the streak drive on a larger ship. However, when Simoes starts working with the GA physicists and engineers, they will probably be able to incorporate the streak drive into warships fairly soon (comparatively.) RFC mentions that "more and more dispatch boats are being equipped with the streak drive." (sorry, don't remember which book) which makes me think that MAlign may be retrofitting the streak drive onto existing dispatch boats. Given Manticore's expertise in fusion technology, the GA may be able to do a lot more with the streak drive than MAlign does, at present.
Post by SWM   » Thu May 29, 2014 5:31 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Lilybelle wrote:The Streak Drive has so far only been used to equip dispatch boats-I have wondered if the power requirements may be so high that MAlign hasn't got the power budget to use the streak drive on a larger ship. However, when Simoes starts working with the GA physicists and engineers, they will probably be able to incorporate the streak drive into warships fairly soon (comparatively.) RFC mentions that "more and more dispatch boats are being equipped with the streak drive." (sorry, don't remember which book) which makes me think that MAlign may be retrofitting the streak drive onto existing dispatch boats. Given Manticore's expertise in fusion technology, the GA may be able to do a lot more with the streak drive than MAlign does, at present.

Given that a dispatch boat has far greater constraints on available power than a warship, it seems unlikely that they have not installed the streak drive on their warships. The fact that the text did not mention the streak drive on Ghosts and Sharks does not mean they did not have them. We simply have not seen those ships in hyperspace.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Lilybelle   » Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 pm

Lilybelle
Midshipman

SWM wrote:
Lilybelle wrote:The Streak Drive has so far only been used to equip dispatch boats-I have wondered if the power requirements may be so high that MAlign hasn't got the power budget to use the streak drive on a larger ship. However, when Simoes starts working with the GA physicists and engineers, they will probably be able to incorporate the streak drive into warships fairly soon (comparatively.) RFC mentions that "more and more dispatch boats are being equipped with the streak drive." (sorry, don't remember which book) which makes me think that MAlign may be retrofitting the streak drive onto existing dispatch boats. Given Manticore's expertise in fusion technology, the GA may be able to do a lot more with the streak drive than MAlign does, at present.

Given that a dispatch boat has far greater constraints on available power than a warship, it seems unlikely that they have not installed the streak drive on their warships. The fact that the text did not mention the streak drive on Ghosts and Sharks does not mean they did not have them. We simply have not seen those ships in hyperspace.

Point.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri May 30, 2014 10:40 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi SWM,

Aldona's yacht is much bigger than a db, Albrecht's yacht is the size of a BC and as well armed, both have Streak Drives, but the ~20 MT Leonard Detweiler SD's will have them but they are still years away from commissioning.

L

SWM wrote:

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by drothgery   » Sat May 31, 2014 1:19 pm

drothgery
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi SWM,

Aldona's yacht is much bigger than a db, Albrecht's yacht is the size of a BC and as well armed, both have Streak Drives, but the ~20 MT Leonard Detweiler SD's will have them but they are still years away from commissioning.
Huh? There's no textev that the LD's are that much bigger than conventional SDs (all we know for sure is that they're bigger) and certainly none that they have a streak drive (we know they have a spider drive, but we haven't seen a ship with a streak hyper generator and a spider drive rather than an impeller drive yet, and there's a small pile of textev and authorial hints saying you can't have both a spider drive and an impeller drive).
Post by Vince   » Sat May 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

drothgery wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi SWM,

Huh? There's no textev that the LD's are that much bigger than conventional SDs (all we know for sure is that they're bigger) and certainly none that they have a streak drive (we know they have a spider drive, but we haven't seen a ship with a streak hyper generator and a spider drive rather than an impeller drive yet, and there's a small pile of textev and authorial hints saying you can't have both a spider drive and an impeller drive).

We do know the Leonard Detweiler class does have a hyper drive* and Warshawski sails*, courtesy of the author stating? snerking? on this forum that they can pass through wormholes. That being established, since all the streak drive is when all is said and done is a souped up military hyper generator that can reach 2 bands higher in hyperspace, why wouldn't the Mesan Alignment equip the LD's with streak drive hyper generators, instead of limiting them to standard military hyper generators?

*Both a hyper generator and Warshawski sails are needed to transit a wormhole, per much textev. The best and most complete description of transiting a wormhole is given in Honor Among Enemies. Nearly all of chapter 9 is given over to a complete step-by-step description of a wormhole transit.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by TheMonster   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:53 am

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Vince wrote:We do know the Leonard Detweiler class does have a hyper drive* and Warshawski sails*, courtesy of the author stating? snerking? on this forum that they can pass through wormholes. That being established, since all the streak drive is when all is said and done is a souped up military hyper generator that can reach 2 bands higher in hyperspace, why wouldn't the Mesan Alignment equip the LD's with streak drive hyper generators, instead of limiting them to standard military hyper generators?

*Both a hyper generator and Warshawski sails are needed to transit a wormhole, per much textev. The best and most complete description of transiting a wormhole is given in Honor Among Enemies. Nearly all of chapter 9 is given over to a complete step-by-step description of a wormhole transit.
But if a Lenny Det has Warshawski sails, then it has Alpha nodes. And if it has Alpha nodes, it might just as well have Beta nodes too, and be able to produce a wedge.

What am I missing here? Is there something about the triple-keel design of a spider-drive ship that allows it to mount sails but not a wedge? What could that "something" possibly be?

Return to Honorverse