Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

How fast can the Streak Drive climb hyper bands?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How fast can the Streak Drive climb hyper bands?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
n7axw wrote:I'm a bit obtuse on this subject, but apart from getting you where you need to go in a hurry, do streaks offer any tactical advantages apart from MAlign's very effective stealth?

Don

Honor could have used Streak Drives when Eighth Fleet was conducting deep penetration raids and also acting as Home Fleet's reserve. She would have been able to reduce the time spent traveling to and from the raids and been able to either raid more or spend more time reinforcing Home Fleet in fact as well as in reputation.

Streak Drives are probably more valuable in the way the MAlign has been suing them: faster information flow gives them a strategic advantage similar to Manticore's inside position on information to and from the League.
There are definite advantages to getting there in only 69% of the time it used to take (best estimate from the few data points we have on streak drive times).

But, yeah, they don't tend to be tactical ones. Ok, I guess it's arguably a tactical advantage to bypass an attempted hyperspace ambush by being in a higher hyper band than the ambushers can reach - but that's a stretch. :D
For the most part tactics come into play once you're back in n-space; where it doesn't much matter what kind of hyper drive you have.
Last edited by Jonathan_S on Wed May 28, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed May 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:There are definite advantages to getting there in only 69% of the time it used to take (best estimate from the few data points we have on streak drive times).

But they don't tend to be tactical ones. ...

Like I said, the Streak Drive's effect on information flow will have more effect on strategy than any tactical advantage. Even the example of Eighth Fleet's dual role is arguably a strategic advantage rather than tactical.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Relax   » Wed May 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:There are definite advantages to getting there in only 69% of the time it used to take (best estimate from the few data points we have on streak drive times).

But they don't tend to be tactical ones. ...

Like I said, the Streak Drive's effect on information flow will have more effect on strategy than any tactical advantage. Even the example of Eighth Fleet's dual role is arguably a strategic advantage rather than tactical.

Why get miffed? You posted a captain obvious statement and then added the word; probably. All he did was expand the "probably" part. Have no one to be miffed at other than yourself.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed May 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:Why get miffed?

Who's miffed. Not I. :shock:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Relax   » Wed May 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Relax wrote:Why get miffed?

Who's miffed. Not I. :shock:

Anytime someone types, "Like I said."

They are miffed.

Basic human verbal response indicating miffed state. If you do not want to come across that way, change how you speak, write.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by lyonheart   » Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi N7AXW,

It's apparent strategic purpose doesn't seem to have a tactical dimension as I mentioned in my first post.

The streak drive permits 50% faster travel in hyper, reaching the Kappa band with an apparent normal space velocity of 4500C, about 12.3 LY/day, my curiosity is wondering about potential tactical limitations, being slower than the normal hyper generators etc.

L

n7axw wrote:I'm a bit obtuse on this subject, but apart from getting you where you need to go in a hurry, do streaks offer any tactical advantages apart from MAlign's very effective stealth?

Don
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi N7AXW,

It's apparent strategic purpose doesn't seem to have a tactical dimension as I mentioned in my first post.

The streak drive permits 50% faster travel in hyper, reaching the Kappa band with an apparent normal space velocity of 4500C, about 12.3 LY/day, my curiosity is wondering about potential tactical limitations, being slower than the normal hyper generators etc.
Hmm, when I tried to figure out the streak drive speed I got ended up closer to 4350C; 45% faster travel. (But I was getting the minimum speed it could be based on the text-ev)

But if you go all the way up to 50% faster it doesn't fit the transit time from MoH as well. "the voyage from New Tuscany to Mesa, which would have taken anyone else the next best thing to forty-five T-days, had taken Anisimovna less than thirty-one - MoH" Going up to 4500C cuts that to 30 days exactly; which while less than 31 is unlikely to be phrased that way.

Of course 45% faster is 31 days on the nose, so likely it's between that 45% and 50%; but based on the text I'd guess closer to 45%.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu May 29, 2014 11:49 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Jonathan_S,

Quite right. ;)

We have the textev that it can reach 4500C, but that doesn't mean it always will, the various hyper bands shifting as they will.

L

Jonathan_S wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi N7AXW,

Hmm, when I tried to figure out the streak drive speed I got ended up closer to 4350C; 45% faster travel. (But I was getting the minimum speed it could be based on the text-ev)

But if you go all the way up to 50% faster it doesn't fit the transit time from MoH as well. "the voyage from New Tuscany to Mesa, which would have taken anyone else the next best thing to forty-five T-days, had taken Anisimovna less than thirty-one - MoH" Going up to 4500C cuts that to 30 days exactly; which while less than 31 is unlikely to be phrased that way.

Of course 45% faster is 31 days on the nose, so likely it's between that 45% and 50%; but based on the text I'd guess closer to 45%.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu May 29, 2014 12:35 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Relax,

You may be right, but it has to be more than just available power, because someone should have tried that long ago.

I would think warships would emphasize climbing quickly regardless of power concerns since they can tap hyperspace once in it, NTM since sidewalls don't work too well in hyper, and not at all in grav waves while the rest of the weapon suite's power budget is fairly low in a non combat situation.

It may be that the twice-the-size hyper generators have to be that big to generate the far bigger hyper-fields required, though I won't be surprised if the GA streak drives aren't somewhat smaller due to the GA's micro-miniaturization tech when they're built into new GA warships possibly in 2-3 years. :D

Of course that's entirely due to having Simoes able to explain all that the MAlign has learned over several decades or centuries! 8-)

If it is something along the line of generating the required hyper fields in the more compact -perhaps denser- hyper bands, the original research required probably provided other insights as well. ;)

I wouldn't be too surprised if some GA R&D team begins to think smaller fields could eventually be generated in higher hyper bands possibly for RD's or even missiles thanks to the GA micro-miniaturization tech, despite what RFC has pearled regarding hyper space missiles a long time ago. ;)

Who knows if he's reconsidered?

L

Relax wrote:Lyonheart:

You have brought up an issue I have been wondering about for many years. (Tried calculating travel times around a system for instance or between systems and there is this gigantic void at step number 1)

Other than the limitations, extrapolations, you have proposed, I have one more:

Brute force when commonly used refers to massive power applied. Generally speaking. Not difficult to accomplish, rather, $$$ intensive for operation.

*** We only know how long SLN SD's take to recharge ***

I would propose that total energy required is tied to mass and size of field. But how said energy is stored/discharged could easily vary depending on several factors. Streak drive could discharge its field much faster(higher power) than common designs.

1) More massive capacitors required for a quicker charge/discharge cycle

2) More massive power feed system required for a quicker charge

3) Efficiency of slower charging capacitors could be better(Fuel consumption) Or Capacitor density is superior.

4) MTBF of slower charging capacitors could be superior

5) All leads to: Cost of these faster dis/charging capacitors is more expensive

This leads to: How much $$$/mass a navy is going to designate as part of their ship design into the hyper generator instead of extra missiles, fuel for extended deployment etc.

I could easily see that DB boats have the $$$/Mass to dump into these superior hyper generator systems where Warships on the other hand have more pressing matters like Sidewall generators, CM's totals, MDM totals, along with patrol range before refueling. Especially when impeller drive ships have a semi-hard ceiling for tonnage. A spider ship on the other hand... :P :P :P does not.
Post by lyonheart   » Thu May 29, 2014 12:57 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Dreamrider,

I suppose it depends on your point of view.

The fact the MAlign are still years and years away from matching or duplicating the RMN's micro-miniaturization tech; FTL.comms, mini-fusion reactors, computers, Apollo's etc, to say nothing of MDM's despite at least ten years of concentrated effort despite knowing it could be done indicates they're far behind, and the Detweilers have admitted it.

The Streak Drive and Spider drives are new, but they seem more like new discoveries that the MAlign's DARPA analogue is desperately trying to weaponize all too quickly, only to find all the unk-unks [unknown-unknowns] biting them on the rear end.

The Sharks were supposed to be training not warships, because they were so crude.

Given how things aren't going to plan, I expect to see the Sharks used again in combat, only things don't go so well for them, ie much higher casualties, as the Detweilers readily admit.

The Spider drive is so new the Sharks don't have a compensator but grav plates with decks angled 3 ways from each other which seems rather crude to me, besides other textev.

Yes, its a strategic breakthrough, like Fulton's working submarine with a sail for strategic transport; but it's a very primitive capability and demonstrating it so early could be considered another eventual nail in the MAlign's coffin.

L

dreamrider wrote:Where have you gotten the idea that MAlign starship tech is crude? It isn't addressed directly in textev at all. The indirect evidence (the Sharks, the ghost scouts, the very existence of the streak DBs, etc) tends to indicate somewhat the opposite, IMHO.

Further, in some of RFC's posts and pearls he has referred to the MAlign as one of the few star nations that is even within shouting distance of Manticore's starship technical achievements and quality. Probably not as good as Grayson, but maybe on a par with the Empire (and Haven.)

dreamrider

lyonheart wrote:Hi all,

Given the crudity of MAlign starship tech, I think the former's more likely than the latter.

Your insights are more than welcome.

L

Return to Honorverse