Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by lyonheart   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:48 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Michael Everett,

You're absolutely right, I WAS very tired last night.

I'd correct it but it'd make your post seem pointless.

Kudos.

L

Michael Everett wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi SWM,

Given how well off HH's parents are from decades of top level surgery etc, I suspect they had their own financial recommendations, NTM those of many many grateful clients, who would be more than willing to suggest someone to manage HH's growing naval surplus. ;)

Personally, the scene in FIE at Cosmo's was wonderful for several reason's, from the financial aspect of Hancock, the camaraderie, to the hint of Stephanie and Lionheart's tale 8-), it was all great.

L

FIE?
Flag in Exile?
I thought that the Cosmo's Scene was in FOD (Field of Dishonor), the book before FIE.
Other than that, I agree.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by BobfromSydney   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:56 am

BobfromSydney
Commander

Given that the Queen's own is an operational unit I doubt White Haven would be 'eligible'. Although I do not doubt his loyalty or personal courage I think he doesn't really fit the 'job description' of a bodyguard.

Consider that he's got little skill/training in close combat and firearms and once joked with Honor that if they were set upon in a dark alley he would happily stand behind her and let her mop them up. Keep in mind that that he is also a Naval officer, so will have less knowledge and experience in ground/atmospheric ops and specifically VIP protection or the 'police-work' side of it (e.g. investigating threats). It would certainly be a misuse of his skills and abilities and probably sub-optimal from a performance perspective as well.
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:53 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Thanks Bob. You nailed it.

I was gonna reply last night with most of those points, but I was just too wiped. Actually went to bed before the wife!

dreamrider
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:55 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

BobfromSydney wrote:Given that the Queen's own is an operational unit I doubt White Haven would be 'eligible'. Although I do not doubt his loyalty or personal courage I think he doesn't really fit the 'job description' of a bodyguard.

Consider that he's got little skill/training in close combat and firearms and once joked with Honor that if they were set upon in a dark alley he would happily stand behind her and let her mop them up. Keep in mind that that he is also a Naval officer, so will have less knowledge and experience in ground/atmospheric ops and specifically VIP protection or the 'police-work' side of it (e.g. investigating threats). It would certainly be a misuse of his skills and abilities and probably sub-optimal from a performance perspective as well.

Thanks for replying to this. I wasn't really thinking in terms of White Haven actually doing anything, and if he did do something I was thinking more of the sting ship role. Although why I think he could actually fly a sting ship is beyond me. No, I was just trying to think of a way to legitimately keep an officer, who was placed on half-pay by an asshole like Janacek, in a position to be redeployed instantly if need be. I always hated that half-pay status. I noticed that Honor was never placed on half-pay??? Was she? She was just run out of dodge.

I bet Honor could fly a sting ship! And do lots of stinging too. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:12 am

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:I always hated that half-pay status. I noticed that Honor was never placed on half-pay??? Was she? She was just run out of dodge.

She was definitely placed on half-pay after Field of Dishonor.
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:31 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

The E wrote:
cthia wrote:I always hated that half-pay status. I noticed that Honor was never placed on half-pay??? Was she? She was just run out of dodge.

She was also on half-pay during the early part of WoH, under the Janacek Admiralty before the Sidemore Station appointment. Recall that they brought her back on active duty, to a distant station, to curtail her political activities. Of course, for Honor, half-pay was rather a meaningless term. After all, when she is on the beach she feels little compunction about living in keeping with her real income, whereas when she is on-duty she feels constrained to maintain a style more like that of her service contemporaries.

dreamrider
Post by Duckk   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:38 am

Duckk
Site Admin

dreamrider wrote:She was also on half-pay during the early part of WoH, under the Janacek Admiralty before the Sidemore Station appointment. Recall that they brought her back on active duty, to a distant station, to curtail her political activities. Of course, for Honor, half-pay was rather a meaningless term. After all, when she is on the beach she feels little compunction about living in keeping with her real income, whereas when she is on-duty she feels constrained to maintain a style more like that of her service contemporaries.

dreamrider

She was faculty on Saganami Island during the ceasefire, so I'm pretty sure she's drawing full pay.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
I always hated that half-pay status. I noticed that Honor was never placed on half-pay??? Was she? She was just run out of dodge.

E wrote:

dreamrider wrote:
She was also on half-pay during the early part of WoH, under the Janacek Admiralty before the Sidemore Station appointment. Recall that they brought her back on active duty, to a distant station, to curtail her political activities. Of course, for Honor, half-pay was rather a meaningless term. After all, when she is on the beach she feels little compunction about living in keeping with her real income, whereas when she is on-duty she feels constrained to maintain a style more like that of her service contemporaries.

dreamrider

Thanks guys. I don't know how I missed that. Probably got lost in my head amidst all of the other political and social crap that 'is' Honor. She probably couldn't even pay Neufsteiler with her full Navy pay.

Are there Pearls on pay grade?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:25 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
BobfromSydney wrote:Given that the Queen's own is an operational unit I doubt White Haven would be 'eligible'. Although I do not doubt his loyalty or personal courage I think he doesn't really fit the 'job description' of a bodyguard.

Thanks for replying to this. I wasn't really thinking in terms of White Haven actually doing anything, and if he did do something I was thinking more of the sting ship role. Although why I think he could actually fly a sting ship is beyond me. No, I was just trying to think of a way to legitimately keep an officer, who was placed on half-pay by an asshole like Janacek, in a position to be redeployed instantly if need be. I always hated that half-pay status. I noticed that Honor was never placed on half-pay??? Was she? She was just run out of dodge.

I bet Honor could fly a sting ship! And do lots of stinging too. :lol:

The Queen's Own is an active unit, so an officer on half-pay is not eligible for it.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:The Queen's Own is an active unit, so an officer on half-pay is not eligible for it.

So much for my loophole.

But since we're on this subject...I always thought it criminal for Janacek to place an officer of White Haven's and Harrington's calibre on half-pay status during wartime. Even the Havenites made a remark about not believing the RMN would beach White Haven and Harrington. Talk about sleeping with the enemy, hell Janacek acted more like he was a Malign operative! It also bemused me that the Queen's hands are tied in those matters. She's the Queen for gosh sakes! I just found it ironic and rather interesting that she doesn't enjoy the same level of power as Protector Benjamin. Sometimes, storyline made me feel like Elizabeth was nothing more than a figurehead.

You know, that half-pay status crap always made me consider the possibility of that happening to the US. Could our best Naval officer be beached in the middle of an important war, for something just as politically poignant?

Return to Honorverse