Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Yow   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:39 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
saber964 wrote:
There are always air currents on space ships.

1) Air movement from fans and what not.
2) Air movement from skin heating and cooling.
3) Air movement from bodies moving around.
4) Air movement from ordinary breathing.

But simply not enough. If you are part of a frisbee competition held inside, a coliseum for instance, there simply aren't enough air currents to compete if you are relying on them. Expensive, very light, very aerodynamic frisbees are used. They use what little current is available, and there is no danger of dumping a Cleveland in the English Channel, the Nantucket Sound or any ocean or forest.

But I assure you, getting a 175 gm frisbee to perform inside a coliseum is a no go, even for me, and I'm good. Now inside, playing frisbee football it's okay. Gooooo looong ...

Hi cthia, glad you had a great vacation :D
I'm not sure how future ship builders will cram environmental controls into a can in space but if it is anything like the ships I've sailed in not only will it be turbulent and noisy but it won't be enough :D Spacers will shove things into the vents to change the flow to their satisfaction much to the chagrin of the occupants in the next work center over. They will put there favorite beverages in the ducting to cool them down and some will invariably roll away creating odd eddies in the air flow and that mysterious clunking noise haunting the ship for ages. Then an industrious spacer actually gets around to fixing the impeller somewhere and finds it lodge in a corner rewarding them for their diligence ( at the other end of the ship four years later.) :lol:

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:37 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:He was throwing them, not serving them. And his arms a significantly shorter than ours are, so less leverage, and less speed.

Furthermore, it does not matter what kind of g field an object was being launched in if it is going in a mostly horizontal direction. While a high g environment would change the weight of the Frisbee or tennis ball, it would have no effect on the mass of the object, and momentum is proportionate to mass, not weight. All that would be changed would be the size of the parabola the motion would describe.
True enough, but on the other hand Honor and Nimitz's muscles are designed/adapted to moving in a higher g environment. (Stronger muscles)

So while it doesn't matter for impact energy whether they're throwing things a 1g or a 1.6g field it does matter a bit that they (with their high-g adaptation) are the ones throwing those things; rather than say your average Earther.
Post by SWM   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:36 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
crewdude48 wrote:He was throwing them, not serving them. And his arms a significantly shorter than ours are, so less leverage, and less speed.

Furthermore, it does not matter what kind of g field an object was being launched in if it is going in a mostly horizontal direction. While a high g environment would change the weight of the Frisbee or tennis ball, it would have no effect on the mass of the object, and momentum is proportionate to mass, not weight. All that would be changed would be the size of the parabola the motion would describe.
True enough, but on the other hand Honor and Nimitz's muscles are designed/adapted to moving in a higher g environment. (Stronger muscles)

So while it doesn't matter for impact energy whether they're throwing things a 1g or a 1.6g field it does matter a bit that they (with their high-g adaptation) are the ones throwing those things; rather than say your average Earther.

Depending on whether they are deliberately trying to throw hard or not.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
crewdude48 wrote:
He was throwing them, not serving them. And his arms a significantly shorter than ours are, so less leverage, and less speed.

SWM wrote:
Depending on whether they are deliberately trying to throw hard or not.

I would also imagine it matters who is on the receiving end. Higher gravity denizens equates to higher bone density, paired with Sphinxian's higher muscle mass. Also, it doesn't matter how hard anyone throws to me; I know how to catch it.

Textev already bore witness that Nimitz had some heat on his throws. A few were too hot for Honor. There was also mention of a "wicked" english placed on Nimitz' throw. You must impart lots of energy into that throw, to achieve that "wicked" english. Finesse and power is necessary for many tricks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
saber964 wrote:

But simply not enough. If you are part of a frisbee competition held inside, a coliseum for instance, there simply aren't enough air currents to compete if you are relying on them. Expensive, very light, very aerodynamic frisbees are used. They use what little current is available, and there is no danger of dumping a Cleveland in the English Channel, the Nantucket Sound or any ocean or forest.

But I assure you, getting a 175 gm frisbee to perform inside a coliseum is a no go, even for me, and I'm good. Now inside, playing frisbee football it's okay. Gooooo looong ...

Yow wrote:
Hi cthia, glad you had a great vacation :D
I'm not sure how future ship builders will cram environmental controls into a can in space but if it is anything like the ships I've sailed in not only will it be turbulent and noisy but it won't be enough :D Spacers will shove things into the vents to change the flow to their satisfaction much to the chagrin of the occupants in the next work center over. They will put there favorite beverages in the ducting to cool them down and some will invariably roll away creating odd eddies in the air flow and that mysterious clunking noise haunting the ship for ages. Then an industrious spacer actually gets around to fixing the impeller somewhere and finds it lodge in a corner rewarding them for their diligence ( at the other end of the ship four years later.) :lol:

Thanks Yow. The Cape Cod area is a slice of Heaven on Earth. Anything other than a nice vacation is impossible. My parents were very fond of it.

I enjoy your talk about wet navy ship life. I have nothing but respect for you military types and love to listen to those "insider" stories.

Thanks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What happens when two different treecats simultaneously "feel" the need to bond to the same person? Is there anything preventing the both of them from tasting exactly what they like? What are the implications of a threesome bonding? Logistics, for someone like Anton Zilwicki wouldn't pose a physical problem. He could carry them both, on either shoulder and wouldn't know they're there.

Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
saber964 wrote:

Forgot to post this. My niece reminded me. She likes seeing these throws. If you'll notice, they're using a 175 gm frisbee outside. The airbounce is an outside trick without a doubt. Unless you want it to bounce off the floor.

A trick of mine, all mine, is the cruncher. Behind the back thru the legs, bouncing off the ground. It'll come right back to you without moving. Difficult. If done wrongly you get busted family jewels. Wins much.

And playing catch with yourself. Fifty yard throw into the air and it comes right back to you, without taking a step. Outside trick - 175 gm.

Another personal trick is the cyclops. I call it that because you need an eye in the back of your head. You begin by holding the frisbee like a discuss throw, but upside down. The throw goes over your left shoulder as if you were completing a forehand in tennis. It comes right back at your head after a steep climb. But watch out. Catching it is a show of cooool and always gets an "oooooo!"

My favorite signature inside throw is the yoyo. Expensive frisbees only. A quick snap of the wrist and frisbee dives to the ground similarly to an air bounce but quickly returns to your hand as if pulled by a string. Verrry difficult.
http://ultimatefrisbeehq.com/trick-frisbee-throws/

Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Okay. Nimitz and Honor have an empathic connection. Honor can sense emotion thru Nimitz. When I first read of Honor's upcoming duels, I thought RFC had telegraphed what would happen. I thought Honor would sense a spike in Burdette's emotions through Nimitz, right before his attack - which, I surmised, would be better than the crease. Similar ditto, prior Summervale's draw. Did anyone else think the same?

Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Okay. Nimitz and Honor have an empathic connection. Honor can sense emotion thru Nimitz. When I first read of Honor's upcoming duels, I thought RFC had telegraphed what would happen. I thought Honor would sense a spike in Burdette's emotions through Nimitz, right before his attack - which, I surmised, would be better than the crease. Similar ditto, prior Summervale's draw. Did anyone else think the same?

Of course, I don't know how feasible this would be, being dependent on the speed of Honor's communication with Nimitz. I always thought it to be instantaneous, certainly for such short distances between Nimitz and Honor. Even FTL.

And of course dependent on RFC's willingness to "Picard" it so. :D

Picard it so?, I really need some sleep.

Post by timmopussycat   » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:24 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:Okay. Nimitz and Honor have an empathic connection. Honor can sense emotion thru Nimitz. When I first read of Honor's upcoming duels, I thought RFC had telegraphed what would happen. I thought Honor would sense a spike in Burdette's emotions through Nimitz, right before his attack - which, I surmised, would be better than the crease. Similar ditto, prior Summervale's draw. Did anyone else think the same?

In the Burdette case, nope, the textev saith not. From FIE:

She never knew, then or later, what William Fitzclarence's "crease" was. She simply knew she'd recognized it.

In the Summervale case the Honor/Nimitz link wouldn't be relevant. The protocol of a duel is that when x event happens, the duelist may either draw and/or aim, and fire.
Last edited by timmopussycat on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to Honorverse