Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Grashtel and 11 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by drothgery   » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:39 am

drothgery
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1872
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

cthia wrote:Is it just me, or does the author seem to delight in killing innocent kids?

It's more that kids aren't going to be in the story unless it's one of
1) A child of a main character OR
2) An actual main character in a YA-focused story OR
3) People who something bad is going to happen to in order demonstrate just how evil the bad guys are.
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 8466
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

drothgery wrote:
cthia wrote:Is it just me, or does the author seem to delight in killing innocent kids?

It's more that kids aren't going to be in the story unless it's one of
1) A child of a main character OR
2) An actual main character in a YA-focused story OR
3) People who something bad is going to happen to in order demonstrate just how evil the bad guys are.

The first two are no reasons to kill off innocent kids. Very interesting, promising and very lovable, innocent kids -- which unfortunately, validates your number three quite well.

Anyone notice how the great authors can build up -- and endear you to -- a character in a single paragraph, writing them under your skin, piercing a major artery leading to your heart?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:59 am

ldwechsler
Captain of the List

Posts: 418
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

cthia wrote:
drothgery wrote: Is it just me, or does the author seem to delight in killing innocent kids?

It's more that kids aren't going to be in the story unless it's one of
1) A child of a main character OR
2) An actual main character in a YA-focused story OR
3) People who something bad is going to happen to in order demonstrate just how evil the bad guys are.



I think it's also that there are not many kids in navies. And even not many really young kids taking part in revolutions. They tend to be collateral damage. Remember how many died at Yawata Crossing, etc.
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 pm

roseandheather
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:39 pm
Location: United Kingdom

cthia wrote:SNIP

Anyone notice how the great authors can build up -- and endear you to -- a character in a single paragraph, writing them under your skin, piercing a major artery leading to your heart?


::slightly insane laughter::

No, I hadn't noticed that... hadn't noticed that at all...

::returns to glugging vodka::
~*~


I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 8466
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

roseandheather wrote:
cthia wrote:SNIP

Anyone notice how the great authors can build up -- and endear you to -- a character in a single paragraph, writing them under your skin, piercing a major artery leading to your heart?


::slightly insane laughter::

No, I hadn't noticed that... hadn't noticed that at all...

::returns to glugging vodka::

:lol:

I deserved that from you. Of course, the insane laughter could be caused from glugging vodka. I certainly can't hang with you. Vodka seems to always put me in touch with my feminine side... "Mommy, help! I've fallen and can't get up. And don't want to!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 8466
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

There is something I don't rightly understand. Whilst reading SoV, there seems to be mention of certain systems without hyper capability. I'm not certain if that is referring to whatever naval component (or no) there is w/o hyper capability or the business sector as well.

I know there are navies w/o hyper capability? But would that limitation extend to the private sector as well? No freighters, dispatch boats, etc.? It seems funny that the private sector would have ships with such an important capability that the navy cannot emulate.

Also, in the Honorverse, I know that systems tend to be self sufficient. Yet it would seem that basic hyper capability would be as common as toaster ovens.

What disadvantages would a system suffer w/o hyper travel?

Of course, this all hinges on whether I've assimilated certain passages correctly.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Imaginos1892
Commodore

Posts: 842
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Most systems don't have shipyards. They're a gigantic chunk of capital, with huge operating expenses. Without a shipyard, each ship is also a huge capital expense, and an ongoing expense as you have to pay somebody else for maintenance. So a lot of systems don't own a lot of ships either. They buy a few LACs for defense and rely on somebody else, like the Manticoran cargo companies, to carry their trade.

If they're part of the Solarian League, they just leave system defense to the ISLN and might not own anything except a few in-system shuttles.

I'd guess that less than half of all star systems own even one hyper-capable starship.
———————————
Governments can only print money; they can't make it worth anything.
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 5483
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

Imaginos1892 wrote:Most systems don't have shipyards. They're a gigantic chunk of capital, with huge operating expenses. Without a shipyard, each ship is also a huge capital expense, and an ongoing expense as you have to pay somebody else for maintenance. So a lot of systems don't own a lot of ships either. They buy a few LACs for defense and rely on somebody else, like the Manticoran cargo companies, to carry their trade.

If they're part of the Solarian League, they just leave system defense to the ISLN and might not own anything except a few in-system shuttles.

I'd guess that less than half of all star systems own even one hyper-capable starship.
Which isn't to say that they aren't (at least occasionally) visited by other people's merchant ships.

Most countries on Earth, even ones with coastlines, don't have a real "blue water" navy. They've mostly got gunboats or other short ranged coastal defense craft. And most don't build or own merchant ships. It's enough that they can attract trade carried on other people's hulls. They don't want to, or can't afford the massive capital investments to build/buy, maintain, and operate freighters of their own (much less blue ocean warships). And of those that do own and operate freighters they're often foreign built - because South Korea (for example) does enough freighter construction that they've got significant efficiencies of scale and can sell you a ship for significantly less than it'd cost you to build it (even if you already had the shipyard)

Even fairly large and prosperous countries like Australia struggle to keep a naval shipbuilding / ship refit industry afloat - they just don't have the critical mass of work to keep the yards employed and the skills sharp.
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 8466
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Jonathan_S wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Most systems don't have shipyards. They're a gigantic chunk of capital, with huge operating expenses. Without a shipyard, each ship is also a huge capital expense, and an ongoing expense as you have to pay somebody else for maintenance. So a lot of systems don't own a lot of ships either. They buy a few LACs for defense and rely on somebody else, like the Manticoran cargo companies, to carry their trade.

If they're part of the Solarian League, they just leave system defense to the ISLN and might not own anything except a few in-system shuttles.

I'd guess that less than half of all star systems own even one hyper-capable starship.
Which isn't to say that they aren't (at least occasionally) visited by other people's merchant ships.

Most countries on Earth, even ones with coastlines, don't have a real "blue water" navy. They've mostly got gunboats or other short ranged coastal defense craft. And most don't build or own merchant ships. It's enough that they can attract trade carried on other people's hulls. They don't want to, or can't afford the massive capital investments to build/buy, maintain, and operate freighters of their own (much less blue ocean warships). And of those that do own and operate freighters they're often foreign built - because South Korea (for example) does enough freighter construction that they've got significant efficiencies of scale and can sell you a ship for significantly less than it'd cost you to build it (even if you already had the shipyard)

Even fairly large and prosperous countries like Australia struggle to keep a naval shipbuilding / ship refit industry afloat - they just don't have the critical mass of work to keep the yards employed and the skills sharp.

Noted. But Earth is a poor example. Countries here are not separated by astronomical non-traversable distances or cut off from locations that they may need to get to, like yesterday…

“Madam President. We have got to send someone to the League and discuss this matter! Immediately!”

Here on Earth there are planes, ships, trains, sailboats and the almighty transatlantic phone call.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 8466
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

There must be a galactic mail carrier, or Western Union services would leave loved ones high and dry. There are still people trying to get home from the mess caused by Lacoon.

Planets that have no hyper travel must make the days of the stagecoach or the Pony Express seem like Earth's 21st Century jet travel.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top

Return to Honorverse