Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by saber964   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:53 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:I wonder where Honor would be buried? Not that there's a huge chance there'll actually be any remains recovered. Wasn't there a ceremony on Grayson, as well as on Manticore during her premature death?

Her home is Sphinx.

Yes, she was buried on both planets.
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
cthia wrote:I wonder where Honor would be buried? Not that there's a huge chance there'll actually be any remains recovered. Wasn't there a ceremony on Grayson, as well as on Manticore during her premature death?

Her home is Sphinx.

I wonder why there was no service on Sphinx. Regardless of whether she had many friends there. There must be some family on planet other than her parents.

At any rate, being the galaxy's most decorated naval officer should see Sphinx wanting to have some claim on her for posterity.

I suppose a statue or two would do, paling to Grayson's statue.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:01 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:

Her home is Sphinx.

cthia wrote:I wonder why there was no service on Sphinx. Regardless of whether she had many friends there. There must be some family on planet other than her parents.

At any rate, being the galaxy's most decorated naval officer should see Sphinx wanting to have some claim on her for posterity.

There may well have been a number of commemorative services, but her STATE FUNERAL being set up by the crown, with all the dignitaries, nobles, and serving officers was all rfc took the room in the book to describe. :D And, at that point, he wasn't spending any time on Honor's family. . .

Rob
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:58 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:

Her home is Sphinx.

cthia wrote:I wonder why there was no service on Sphinx. Regardless of whether she had many friends there. There must be some family on planet other than her parents.

There may well have been a number of commemorative services, but her STATE FUNERAL being set up by the crown, with all the dignitaries, nobles, and serving officers was all rfc took the room in the book to describe. :D And, at that point, he wasn't spending any time on Honor's family. . .

Rob

This reminds me of the riddle: If a plane crashes in the middle of the Rio Grande (border between US and Mexico), where do they bury the survivors?

Answer: The survivors didn't die there so they get buried when and where died.

There was no body, remember? So they could have funerals everywhere.

I would guess that if Harrington dies intact, there will be a way to split her remains (which could be ashes) and bury her in a few places: Sphynx, Grayson, and White Haven on Manticore...next to her husband and wife.
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:

Her home is Sphinx.

Rob
ldwechsler wrote:This reminds me of the riddle: If a plane crashes in the middle of the Rio Grande (border between US and Mexico), where do they bury the survivors?

Answer: The survivors didn't die there so they get buried when and where died.

There was no body, remember? So they could have funerals everywhere.

I would guess that if Harrington dies intact, there will be a way to split her remains (which could be ashes) and bury her in a few places: Sphynx, Grayson, and White Haven on Manticore...next to her husband and wife.

I suppose it is that whole thing about our spirits, or something, hanging out at our burial site, or something, and we can go and talk to them there, or something. ::shrug::

As a result of this conversation, I now wonder where bonded treecats will be buried? Beside their persons? Albeit, I do know that Nimitz is represented as a part of the statue on Grayson, atop Honor's head, iinm.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by glott   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:13 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I've been wondering about bow sidewalls.

Now we can, IMHO, assume that no one in the SLN has the slightest idea that such a thing is possible. I believe that not even their few (their very few :) ) competent ONI analysts could speculate about the feasibility of it. I think that even if any SDF observers saw any evidence of bow sidewalls and included it in their reports, that part the report would have been deleted, as an obvious impossibility, before the report was passed on to the SLN ONI.

The MAlign, on the other hand, could possibly know about them, if those SDF observer reports did indeed include any mention of bow or stern sidewalls (granted that is a big "IF"). Because IMHO the MAlign would have done its very best to get copies of ALL of those SDF observer reports, the original unedited reports.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber
Post by The E   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 pm

The E
Admiral

glott wrote:I've been wondering about bow sidewalls.

Now we can, IMHO, assume that no one in the SLN has the slightest idea that such a thing is possible. I believe that not even their few (their very few :) ) competent ONI analysts could speculate about the feasibility of it. I think that even if any SDF observers saw any evidence of bow sidewalls and included it in their reports, that part the report would have been deleted, as an obvious impossibility, before the report was passed on to the SLN ONI.

Wrong on all counts, I'm afraid. The theory behind bow or kilt walls is well understood; consider the scene where we first get introduced to the concept, and the main objection there not being "That's impossible", but rather "sure you could do that if you didn't need to accelerate while the wall is up".

Just like MDMs, the basic concept is so simple that it doesn't take a lot of imagination to come up with it; in both cases, the main obstacle wasn't the theory, but how to make it work (for the MDM, the issue was engineering: how do you keep nodes from destroying each other? For bow walls, the problem was tactical: until the advent of the Shrike, no one had reason to build a ship that had an interest in approaching a target bow-on and thus really needed the extra shielding a bow wall provides while also considering the reduction in acceleration and maneuverability a minor price).

Whether or not the SLN knows about bow walls is beside the point. Even if they do, they do not have a vessel like the Shrike that needs it to perform its primary function
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

while it is true that a bow wall is vital only for the shrike type craft, clearly the RMN finds the ability to mitigate throat and kilt damage useful. as bow and stern walls are now included as standard on all new construction hyper capable (probably all new construction but I don't recall a mention of it on anything beyond ferret LACs aside from scotty's wing of Shrikes) and have been since late in the first war.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

The E wrote:Wrong on all counts, I'm afraid. The theory behind bow or kilt walls is well understood; consider the scene where we first get introduced to the concept, and the main objection there not being "That's impossible", but rather "sure you could do that if you didn't need to accelerate while the wall is up".

That is all true for full bow or stern walls, but I think the "Buckler" style of bow and stern walls are going to be a nasty surprise to the SLN. Of course, a SLN ship has to survive the double and quadruple broadsides that off-bore missiles can provide and make a "buckler" useful, before they are likely to get a good read on the bow and stern walls.

The SLN doesn't have "off-bore" missile capability that makes keeping the open throat of the wedge to the enemy during an engagement possible, so they would have had no reason to develop "bucklers" or consider the possibility.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
The E wrote:Wrong on all counts, I'm afraid. The theory behind bow or kilt walls is well understood; consider the scene where we first get introduced to the concept, and the main objection there not being "That's impossible", but rather "sure you could do that if you didn't need to accelerate while the wall is up".

That is all true for full bow or stern walls, but I think the "Buckler" style of bow and stern walls are going to be a nasty surprise to the SLN. Of course, a SLN ship has to survive the double and quadruple broadsides that off-bore missiles can provide and make a "buckler" useful, before they are likely to get a good read on the bow and stern walls.

The SLN doesn't have "off-bore" missile capability that makes keeping the open throat of the wedge to the enemy during an engagement possible, so they would have had no reason to develop "bucklers" or consider the possibility.

IIRC, bow and stern walls developed in two stages. The first completely sealed up the end (bow or stern). Oversteegen had the earlier stage when he was at Refuge with Abby. He had to cut power to use the stern wall. But the newer stuff, the Rolands, the Sag Cs and up all have the later stage wall which permitted the vessel to continue accelerating with the wall activated. These walls cover most of the bow or stern but leave enough open to allow the vessel to move under power. Conceivably a laser could slip past this wall, but the possibility of it doing so is low.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse