Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Noted. But Earth is a poor example. Countries here are not separated by astronomical non-traversable distances or cut off from locations that they may need to get to, like yesterday…

Systems like Refuge (where Abby's middy cruise was interrupted) don't have any space based capability at all -- not even communications or weather satellites. Nor do they want any.

Others, like Nuncio, depend on others for Hyper travel.

I'm sure similar scenarios to either abound.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:Noted. But Earth is a poor example. Countries here are not separated by astronomical non-traversable distances or cut off from locations that they may need to get to, like yesterday…
Weird Harold wrote:Systems like Refuge (where Abby's middy cruise was interrupted) don't have any space based capability at all -- not even communications or weather satellites. Nor do they want any.

Others, like Nuncio, depend on others for Hyper travel.

I'm sure similar scenarios to either abound.

Refuge is a very poor example. They had no idea that anyone else even existed in the galaxy, let alone had any dealings with anyone else or had any need to be going anywhere... well, -- or whose livelihood was wrapped up inside of someone else's government.

I suppose that planets w/o hyper travel are exploited by those who have -- who supply intergalactic service. But that could place very important government personnel aboard common travel sources. Can you imagine the POTUS or key government figures traveling by train or bus or United Air where some weirdo/terrorist can simply gut you with a knife?

Just seems that a planet would at least own a dispatch boat.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Refuge is a very poor example. They had no idea that anyone else even existed in the galaxy, ...

Refuge was just recently colonized by religious dissidents from Haven. Sometime after Eloise Pritchard became president.

Refugeans may reject all the rest of the galaxy, but they know it's there.

Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:50 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:There must be a galactic mail carrier, or Western Union services would leave loved ones high and dry. There are still people trying to get home from the mess caused by Lacoon.

Planets that have no hyper travel must make the days of the stagecoach or the Pony Express seem like Earth's 21st Century jet travel.

I'd like to see a story about a Manticorian merchant ship with an owner-aboard captain aboard who was way beyond the other side of the SL out in a Verge like area (perhaps near the Judean League) when they got notified through a local system government (by somebody's local freight agent contact) about Lacoon 1 and the challanges of both getting safely back to Manticorian space AND finding enough cargo contracts to keep from going broke.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

There is a way in which the Honorverse is similar to the age of discovery on old earth, say roughly 18th-early 19th century. Takes forever to get somewhere, not a lot of knowledge of areas beyond the horizion, huge areas as yet unexplored, yet constant pushing the borders outward.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Rincewind   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Refuge is a very poor example. They had no idea that anyone else even existed in the galaxy, ...

Refuge was just recently colonized by religious dissidents from Haven. Sometime after Eloise Pritchard became president.

Refugeans may reject all the rest of the galaxy, but they know it's there.

No, it wasn't. It had previously been colonised not long after the Republic of Haven had become the People's Republic by a religious minority who had been encouraged* to emigrate, (after leaving all of their assets to the Government) some time before. The incident with President Eloise Pritchard that you are referring to relates to a tiny minority who had remained behind on Haven & having endured both the Legislaturalists & the Committee of Public Safety had had enough & decided to join their brethren on Refuge. To her credit Pritchard provided them with the transport to take them there, it was just their incredible bad luck that their ship was one of those intercepted by one of the Four Yahoos.

* For encouraged read viciously persecuted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:No, it wasn't. It had previously been colonised not long after the Republic of Haven had become the People's Republic by a religious minority who had been encouraged* to emigrate, (after leaving all of their assets to the Government) some time before. The incident with President Eloise Pritchard that you are referring to relates to a tiny minority who had remained behind on Haven & having endured both the Legislaturalists & the Committee of Public Safety had had enough & decided to join their brethren on Refuge.

The Refugeans still knew about the rest of the universe -- they knew the second wave was coming, after all.

Post by saber964   » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:20 pm

saber964
Admiral

You might read up on the TQ before it joined the SEM. IIRC Nuncio had a huge upswing in freighter traffic by having three freighters show up in the same month versus the same number in the previous six months.
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SoV wrote:Then another alarm sounded, and Jansen’s eyes jerked back to his own panel. He’d never heard that strident, two-toned, ear-piercing wail outside a training simulation, and he couldn’t really believe he was hearing it now.

But he was.

Something slammed into the interposed belly of Bernike’s impeller wedge and vanished with the instantaneous ferocity of a several hundred thousand-kilometers per second gravity gradient. But something else missed the wedge. It came sizzling through the tanker’s wide-open throat on a reciprocal course with a closing velocity of over 60,000 KPS, crossed the wedge’s interior at a sharp angle in approximately five-thousandths of a second, missed her enormous hull by no more than sixty or seventy kilometers, and went racing out the wedge’s kilt.

An object can enter the throat and travel the length of a ship exiting out of the kilt?????? :o

Say what? Did I read that right? Or is the spiked eggnog still taking effect?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:36 pm

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:An object can enter the throat and travel the length of a ship exiting out of the kilt?????? :o

Say what? Did I read that right? Or is the spiked eggnog still taking effect?

Why would that be surprising? It's unlikely, given how narrow the space between the two wedges is (I think it's a couple dozen kilometers?), but hardly unthinkable; Especially not when we're talking about a civvie ship that isn't doing evasive maneuvers.

Return to Honorverse