Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Thanks saber. I keep forgetting Paulo was a child when freed.

IIRC, Paulo was never a slave, his parents were and he carries the genetic markers but he was born after his parents were freed.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

IIRC, Paulo was never a slave, his parents were and he carries the genetic markers but he was born after his parents were freed.

This came up in another thread, and of course you're correct. He wasn't technically a slave. But he certainly thought of himself as a play toy/sex slave. It was his whole hang-up... "Hate me because I'm beautiful, Helen."

"Not a chance, boy toy."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:IIRC, Paulo was never a slave, his parents were and he carries the genetic markers but he was born after his parents were freed.

This came up in another thread, and of course you're correct. He wasn't technically a slave. But he certainly thought of himself as a play toy/sex slave. ...

It is really only relevant to whether, or when, he got Prolong. As a natural born Manticoran, he would have gotten third-gen Prolong, the same as Helen.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:IIRC, Paulo was never a slave, his parents were and he carries the genetic markers but he was born after his parents were freed.

This came up in another thread, and of course you're correct. He wasn't technically a slave. But he certainly thought of himself as a play toy/sex slave. ...
Weird Harold wrote:It is really only relevant to whether, or when, he got Prolong. As a natural born Manticoran, he would have gotten third-gen Prolong, the same as Helen.

'Tis true Harold. 'Tis true. It's relevancy surfaces in explaining why I always forget that he wasn't a sexslave—because he was always throwing shade, on himself. We all know how kids can be sexually abused. And Paulo was a gorgeous baby. I have a friend who surely wishes his babysitter would have abused him. LOL

Do accept my apology.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:50 pm

saber964
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Technically Paulo wasn't a slave because he was freed as a infant or young toddler.
Post by ywing14   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:04 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I think he’d still be considered an ex slave.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

ywing14 wrote:I think he’d still be considered an ex slave.

It's a matter of what's on his mind. I would guess a lot of others in his situation had issues. The children of Holocaust survivors are often haunted by things that happened before they were born.

A lot of it has to do with growing up with parents who actually were there. Same for Paulo. His parents were pleasure slaves. And, even worse than some things on Earth that are historical, he has genes that mark him.

And he has the bar code on his tongue. THAT came through. He is marked, forever. And if captured by MAlign would be considered a slave.

Things are not always simple.
Post by ywing14   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:21 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

ldwechsler wrote:

It's a matter of what's on his mind. I would guess a lot of others in his situation had issues. The children of Holocaust survivors are often haunted by things that happened before they were born.

A lot of it has to do with growing up with parents who actually were there. Same for Paulo. His parents were pleasure slaves. And, even worse than some things on Earth that are historical, he has genes that mark him.

And he has the bar code on his tongue. THAT came through. He is marked, forever. And if captured by MAlign would be considered a slave.

I would assume he had been born and was a toddler/infant.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

I agree. You both have valid points.

We know he was less than 9-yrs-old or he would have had to put out too. That is listed as the end of the age of innocence for sexslaves. His parents were sexslaves, so did Paulo ever get to witness what being a sexslave is? He certainly wasn't sheltered from it, in light of his ruminations and hang-ups which hindered his relationship with Helen. Although he may not have reached the end of his innocence doesn't mean he wasn't taken advantage of by some pervert behind closed doors, or was at least "sexually harassed" while his parents were "entertaining." At any rate, he's genetically a pleasure slave even if he was never "harvested."

Post by saber964   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:48 am

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:
ldwechsler" [quote="ywing14 wrote:I think he’d still be considered an ex slave.

I agree. You both have valid points.

We know he was less than 9-yrs-old or he would have had to put out too. That is listed as the end of the age of innocence for sexslaves. His parents were sexslaves, so did Paulo ever get to witness what being a sexslave is? He certainly wasn't sheltered from it, in light of his ruminations and hang-ups which hindered his relationship with Helen. Although he may not have reached the end of his innocence doesn't mean he wasn't taken advantage of by some pervert behind closed doors, or was at least "sexually harassed" while his parents were "entertaining." At any rate, he's genetically a pleasure slave even if he was never "harvested."

There's a possibility he was born after his parents were long free.[/quote]

No, his mother was killed in the attack that got him and his father rescued.

Return to Honorverse