Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
munroburton wrote:There was speculation that DuQuesne himself was a MAlign agent.

Huh? WHAT THE F-F-FRONT door doing open? :o Was that speculation forum centric, this forum? Is there one particular tidbit of textev that is/may be responsible for causing a bulldog ONI investigator to grab that thread and hold onto it like a Raggedy Ann doll?

Chapter 40 Mission of Honor has some textev

“If McBryde was right about the Alignment having been involved with the Legislaturalists—and especially with DuQuesne—then it may be possible for us to turn up evidence of it," LePic said thoughtfully. "I know we'd be going back a long way," he continued when the others looked at him, "but we never had any reason to suspect outside influence before. That puts a whole new perspective on how we got stuck with the 'People's Republic' in the first place, and if we look at the records from that angle, we may spot something no one even had a reason to look for at the time.”

Excerpt From
Mission of Honor-ARC
David Weber
This material may be protected by copyright.
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 am

munroburton
Admiral

MoH wrote:"If McBryde was right about the Alignment being involved with the Legislaturalists - and especially with DuQuesne - then it may be possible for us to turn up evidence of it." LePic said thoughtfully.

During the meeting where Haven's cabinet discuss the implications after being briefed by Cachat and Zilwicki.

So, yes. They're looking, but DuQuesne has been dead for a long time(he was before prolong, I believe).

Aw, sniped.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:41 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hello Munroburton,

It's been a long time, and always good to read your posts again.

I remember suggesting this about a dozen years back at the Bar, ie Baen's Bar, and discovering they had previously made the same conclusion long ago, possibly based on some comment RFC made that wasn't recorded at the fifth imperium etc.

RFC might remember, or Duckk, or someone else here familiar with the Bar back then, but I doubt any will respond to this particular thread, but here's hoping...

RFC's been quite communicative recently so who knows...

munroburton wrote:
MoH wrote:"If McBryde was right about the Alignment being involved with the Legislaturalists - and especially with DuQuesne - then it may be possible for us to turn up evidence of it." LePic said thoughtfully.

During the meeting where Haven's cabinet discuss the implications after being briefed by Cachat and Zilwicki.

So, yes. They're looking, but DuQuesne has been dead for a long time(he was before prolong, I believe).

Aw, sniped.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:59 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

munroburton wrote:

Aw, sniped.

Yeah it is certainly not conclusive or anything. But McBride hinted it. I also think there is more in Torch of Freedom.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:01 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
n7axw wrote:
It's going to be interesting what the RF does relative to the Alignments Eridani violations. Will they continue lockstep with the Alignments goals or will they decide that discretion is the better part of valor and choose to develop as a regular star nation leaving Darius and the Alignment isolated...

Don

-

It makes far more sense in the short-run for the RF to show discretion. They don't really want to be noticed. And it would be better for them to infiltrate than conquer.

They went over half a millennium with a plan that went nowhere. Why rush into a new plan that could lead to even worse disaster?

Indeed, it would probably be better in the long term for there to be a MAlign to be thorougly defeated.
Something that the RF can be part of destroying.
A houdini part two if you will.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by munroburton   » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 am

munroburton
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hello Munroburton,

It's been a long time, and always good to read your posts again.

I remember suggesting this about a dozen years back at the Bar, ie Baen's Bar, and discovering they had previously made the same conclusion long ago, possibly based on some comment RFC made that wasn't recorded at the fifth imperium etc.

RFC might remember, or Duckk, or someone else here familiar with the Bar back then, but I doubt any will respond to this particular thread, but here's hoping...

RFC's been quite communicative recently so who knows...

Aye, McBryde more or less confirmed that speculation. I'd be more interested in more recent MAlign agents - due to those snippets about how long ago Bolthole's rediscovery was.

I keep thinking Oscar Saint-Just could be a MAlign agent, even though we've had a look at his internal motivations and reasonings.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Genetic slaves, all forms of slaves, did not generally receive prolong. Did Paulo d'Arezzo ever get it?

Did the percentage of Torch's population who were able to receive it ever get it?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

cthia wrote:Genetic slaves, all forms of slaves, did not generally receive prolong. Did Paulo d'Arezzo ever get it?

Did the percentage of Torch's population who were able to receive it ever get it?

I bet he did - after he got away from the mesans. He's definitely young enough for 2nd generation; depending how old he was as he got free, maybe even 3rd generation prolong.
Post by saber964   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:Genetic slaves, all forms of slaves, did not generally receive prolong. Did Paulo d'Arezzo ever get it?

Paulo is a Manticoran citizen and likely received it as a child. As for Torch it's probably like any newly prolong available system like Grayson over 25 T-years to bad you've got depending on your age living an extra 20-30 years.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:

Paulo is a Manticoran citizen and likely received it as a child. As for Torch it's probably like any newly prolong available system like Grayson over 25 T-years to bad you've got depending on your age living an extra 20-30 years.

Thanks saber. I keep forgetting Paulo was a child when freed. Thank goodness, or marrying Helen without the same lifespan would have been problematical at least, and suicidal at best. Helen's menopause would have killed him! LOL :oops:

Was it ever stated why the slaves weren't given prolong? It seems so uneconomical. Why would you not want to preserve your experienced, free workforce?

In the Bible, Egypt was afraid of the growing numbers and a revolt. That isn't a concern on Darius. Supposedly.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse