Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Theemile and 25 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:11 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:I always thought that Ginger was a nickname, so I found it funny when she read her orders to take command of CW and she was addressed as Captain (Junior Grade) Ginger Lewis.

It's a common enough name. It's just not used all that much. It's like the name Samantha. It wasn't all that popular until the T.V. show Bewitched came out in the mid sixties. Then it went from the mid four hundreds to the top fifty in less than five years and has remained high for decades.

Why not Ginger as a name? I knew a redhead whose name was Ruby.
And Ginger does have read hair.
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:00 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

I just imagined that as Ginger is quite often used as a nickname for people with ginger hair, that was also the case with Ginger Lewis.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:I always thought that Ginger was a nickname, so I found it funny when she read her orders to take command of CW and she was addressed as Captain (Junior Grade) Ginger Lewis.

It's a common enough name. It's just not used all that much. It's like the name Samantha. It wasn't all that popular until the T.V. show Bewitched came out in the mid sixties. Then it went from the mid four hundreds to the top fifty in less than five years and has remained high for decades.
ldwechsler wrote:Why not Ginger as a name? I knew a redhead whose name was Ruby.
And Ginger does have read hair.

I never thought that Ginger was a nickname. I've known a few Gingers. They were all redheads from a family of reds and Gingers.

I know a Ruby Ginger Redding. Enuff red in a name? Most Gingers that I've met have really red hair.

I think it has a lot to do with the era.

An Aside:

Forgive our manners lcdrdata. Welcome to the forums and have a virtual suds on us.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

There is a lie detector chair used in Shadow of Victory. Isabel Bardasano had Damien Harahap sit in one. I wonder if the SEM uses treecats to, calibrate them? LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Also, in SoV, if I didn't misabsorb, it is implied that targeted nanotech was developed by the League -- to target diseases, but nonetheless, is that so? I thought that was specifically a MAlign development.

Post by cthia   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ok. More Star Trek baggage. Again, I went where no man had gone before. It’s a long trek back.

Something I’ve always wanted to know:
Is sidewall strength a function of wedge strength? IOW, an SD’s sidewalls would be much stronger than a Cruisers?

If so, then when sidewalls are damaged -- or sections taken out -- can the power that was normally used by that section(s) be diverted to other sections making them stronger? As in Star Trek, when power is diverted to the shields? shrug

Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Ok. More Star Trek baggage. Again, I went where no man had gone before. It’s a long trek back.

Is sidewall strength a function of wedge strength? IOW, an SD’s sidewalls would be much stronger than a Cruisers?

If so, then when sidewalls are damaged -- or sections taken out -- can the power that was normally used by that section(s) be diverted to other sections making them stronger? As in Star Trek, when power is diverted to the shields? shrug

Sidewalls strength appears to be primarily based off of sidewall generator power. A superdreadhaught mounts larger and power powerful sidewall generators (and has more redundency of them, so more have to be knocked offline before the sidewall weakens or gaps open).

There may be a little safety margin in those generators to run them above normal design load, but in general I'd say no; you can't divert power to other generators to bring some section of the sidewall to more than normally full power.

There may be some wedge interaction, but remember that the bow wall on a Shrike is said to be "is twice as powerful as the broadside sidewalls. That makes it as tough as most dreadnought's sidewalls" EoH. Maybe if you put that same generator on a DN the vastly more powerful wedge would let it generate a somewhat more powerful sidewall. But there's clearly plenty of variation of wall strength even on exactly the same wedge. I'm assuming that given the Shrike's attack profile they spent the limited mass and power budget cramming the most powerful sidewall possible into the nose and fitting smaller generators for the broadsides (though still probably much heavier than any old-style LAC had carried)
Post by pappilon   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Ok. More Star Trek baggage. Again, I went where no man had gone before. It’s a long trek back.

Sidewalls strength appears to be primarily based off of sidewall generator power. A superdreadhaught mounts larger and power powerful sidewall generators (and has more redundency of them, so more have to be knocked offline before the sidewall weakens or gaps open).

There may be a little safety margin in those generators to run them above normal design load, but in general I'd say no; you can't divert power to other generators to bring some section of the sidewall to more than normally full power.

There may be some wedge interaction, but remember that the bow wall on a Shrike is said to be "is twice as powerful as the broadside sidewalls. That makes it as tough as most dreadnought's sidewalls" EoH. Maybe if you put that same generator on a DN the vastly more powerful wedge would let it generate a somewhat more powerful sidewall. But there's clearly plenty of variation of wall strength even on exactly the same wedge. I'm assuming that given the Shrike's attack profile they spent the limited mass and power budget cramming the most powerful sidewall possible into the nose and fitting smaller generators for the broadsides (though still probably much heavier than any old-style LAC had carried)

The real estate agent that sold me this house was a "pumkin head named Ginger, but her real name was Frances.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by n7axw   » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:56 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

My mother's nickname was Ginger. Her real name is Virginia.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

OMG! Road rage—or technically air rage—is liable to get you shot down while simply returning from a doctor's visit in some systems. I suppose that's why they call it the Swallow System, you could be alive one minute and the next, swallowed by a missile. GEES!

Is it just me, or does the author seem to delight in killing innocent kids? Right away I fell in love with Edyta in SoV—the brilliant young chess player that reminds me of my niece, and her lovely friend Karolina Kresner? You simply gotta love a girl who clandestinely tries to trap an opponent's knight—then BOOM! Just like that, the two characters—who had just enough lead time to get under your skin and tug at your heart strings—are dead.

Mr. Weber, I realize that you and I haven't always seen eye to eye. I know that I am not your favorite poster right now after innocently stepping on your very own planted grav lance powered land mine. BUT DAMN, easy go on the heart strings will ya!?

Do forgive me if I've misremembered some facts. I am on Thanksgiving vacation visiting one of my sisters and the entire immediate family is present. We are volunteering to relieve some of the wonderful people who do amazing things throughout the year. Libraries, Homeless Shelters, Salvation Armys, toys-for-tots, etc., etc.

So do forgive me, I am away from my collection. Your kindness is all for a good cause. :D

Return to Honorverse