Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 19 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:00 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Ldwechsler wrote:Mueller might even drop dead.

PeterZ wrote:]Of course it would. Just as introducing a "Peep" as the newest family member would tick off the opposition.

roseandheather wrote:Then imagine the uproar when Queen Elizabeth announces that her cousin is gonna marry Lester Tourville.... :twisted:

Imagine those snobby Republicans in Haven throwing fits because their hero abandoned their values in favor of an...........aristocrat (spit on ground)!
ldwechsler wrote:Give me a break. Those Republicans would soon be gossip followers of all the aristos. Look at how American seem to worship just about any royal around. I could understand if it were Duke Ellington or Count Basie but they go nuts for Prince William, etc., who has done nothing except be his parents' (particularly his mother's) kid.

Within a year there might be a magazine in Nouveau Paris about the comings and goings of all the Mantie aristos.

And if there were a few intermarriages, and we know there will be overall now that Manticore and Haven are on the same side, any "Countess Whomever" who was born on Haven, will be a favorite.

A Countess Havenite? Royalty biased Haven sure never saw that one coming!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:43 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Maybe instead of homegrowing their next batch of aristos which is such a bother, Haven will petition for membership in the Star Empire! :lol:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:05 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

"Do you see, Peirre? The aristocracy is sneaking back in!" Yelled Jaques Sans-cullotte. "First they cozen to the Republic's heroes. Then they rip off the Republic's balls!"
Post by saber964   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:09 pm

saber964
Admiral

The Protectors Palace announces the engagement of

Miss Mayhew Rachel Mayhew and The Honorable James Harrington
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:26 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:The Protectors Palace announces the engagement of

Wouldn't that be Lord James Harrington, Mister/Master Harrington?
If a female heir to a steading is called Miss, then wouldn't the male counterpart be Mister/Master? Neither is directly the immediate heir, but are in the succession for their respective Steadings. Racheal is not in the succession for the Protectorship, but is technically an heir to the Mayhew Steading.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:48 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
saber964 wrote:The Protectors Palace announces the engagement of

Wouldn't that be Lord James Harrington, Mister/Master Harrington?
If a female heir to a steading is called Miss, then wouldn't the male counterpart be Mister/Master? Neither is directly the immediate heir, but are in the succession for their respective Steadings. Racheal is not in the succession for the Protectorship, but is technically an heir to the Mayhew Steading.

We're pushing far too hard for relationships. Not everybody in the books will wind up with someone else from the books. For all we know, Rachel might be gay and could wind up with Abigail (who somehow has never had a boyfriend that we know of).

There might be some marriages that do occur but we're turning RFC into Barbara Cartland.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:20 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote: We're pushing far too hard for relationships. Not everybody in the books will wind up with someone else from the books. For all we know, Rachel might be gay and could wind up with Abigail (who somehow has never had a boyfriend that we know of).

There might be some marriages that do occur but we're turning RFC into Barbara Cartland.

And you're saying that as if it is a really really bad thing. It gives a new meaning to the term "space opera" (actually returns it to its original meaning).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
ldwechsler wrote: We're pushing far too hard for relationships. Not everybody in the books will wind up with someone else from the books. For all we know, Rachel might be gay and could wind up with Abigail (who somehow has never had a boyfriend that we know of).

And you're saying that as if it is a really really bad thing. It gives a new meaning to the term "space opera" (actually returns it to its original meaning).

I'd also think it is a good thing. What, with prolong and being human, 200-300+ years without a mate is a hard pill for any Jill to swallow. And Jack too. Jack wouldn't want his favorite pastime to become his namesake. Especially since the bulk of the ones we discuss are stuck in the target poor vastness of space, going up against regs and dregs.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Does anyone else see the idea of SLN's officers patronizing the sex slaves reverting back to the days of the Roman and Greek armies who carried prostitutes at the rear of their armies for gratification on long excursions? 'Course, the SLN have not been at war and are not struck for prolonged periods of time out in the vastness of space.

Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:There might be some marriages that do occur but we're turning RFC into Barbara Cartland.

Except RFC can write much better than Barbara Cartland (or most other Romance novelists.) 8-)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse