Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 54 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Vince   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Annachie wrote:I've always wondered. A planet that has only 1 possible religion, and that was unvisited by strangers for 800 years, has a tradition for seating non-believers in it's cathedrals.

Seriously how many non-believers could they possibly have had want to attend a church service?

In 800 years, there's bound to be a significant number of rebellious teens, agnostics, and outright atheists. But those people are going to have friends and relatives getting married, baptizing children, and being eulogized at funerals. Some of those non-believers are going to accept invitations to attend those church functions.

And we found out that Graysons do have religous differences of opinion in:
Flag in Exile, Chapter 22 wrote:"I didn't say that, My Lady," Gerrick said with a thin smile. "I said our records don't tell us where to look for him, and they don't. But while he falsified his application information, he had to give us his real fingerprints. I guess he figured we'd never put it together and even realize we should be looking for him, but we've got them, and we handed them over to Lord Clinkscales. He ran them against the Harrington database without finding anything, which confirmed our suspicion 'Maguire' was an outsider, but he also transmitted them under a deep security cover to a contact of his in Planetary Security, who ran them through the Sword database. And it just happens, My Lady, that as a teenager, Mr. 'Maguire' was once picked up for participating in a civil disturbance. It was a 'demonstration' against the Jerimites—they're a small, independent-minded group some members of the Church consider heretics—that turned violent, but because of his youth, he got off with a reprimand. He may not even have realized that the steading records on all criminal arrests, even the most petty ones, go into the Sword database and stay there.
Italics are the author's, boldface is my emphasis.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by khadijahbintalif   » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:57 pm

khadijahbintalif
Midshipman

I study religions as a avocation with most of my exposure in Islam, and Mormonism with a lot in Evangelical Christianity, and a tiny bit in Buddhism.

I'm reading book 5, "Honor in Exile", right now and the attitudes I see displayed in it are so true to form, matching very closely a number of very devout belief systems. I am amazed.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

khadijahbintalif wrote:I study religions as a avocation with most of my exposure in Islam, and Mormonism with a lot in Evangelical Christianity, and a tiny bit in Buddhism.

I'm reading book 5, "Honor in Exile", right now and the attitudes I see displayed in it are so true to form, matching very closely a number of very devout belief systems. I am amazed.

Good observation - yet wouldn't you expect that?

Each system is different yet intrinsically the same, a distillation of Deity - Good - Evil - Man.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What Then?

Hamish, Emily and Honor has disproved the old adage "Two's Company, Three's a Crowd." With that marriage, "Three's Company Too!"

Yet, what happens to Honor and Emily if Hamish is killed and they both become widows? With a traditional marriage, if one of the spouses die, the remaining spouse is automatically a widow, and thus are free to go back on the market. Yet, in a three-way, it has the possibility to become rather awkward - being that Honor and Emily would still be married to each other.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I remember reading a few times about the effects of a downward translation when trying to carry across a lot of velocity, on the crew - nausea, etc.

I'm trying to locate that particular info but am catching no joy. I think the references were all in various books. Not sure about any other sources. I looked but as I said, caught no joy.

Specifically, is there a limit to the amount of velocity one can choose to carry across? And is that limit only a function of the amount of "sickness" a crew can sustain? I.E., I seem to recall that the more experienced crew aren't as affected?

Also, is there any negative effects to the ship itself? I don't recall that there is.

Aside:
I apologize if using this thread offends anyone else bedsides a certain poster who claims I'm trying to run up post counts or something. :roll: But I created this thread expressly for the reason to ask questions/discuss things that I don't think merits an entire thread. Before this thread, I was simply butting in (rudely I thought) to other threads for an aside to ask questions that sometimes derailed that particular thread, even if only temporarily. Via my upbringing, that rubbed me the wrong way. So I created this thread. If it offends, please steer clear. Simple.

Thanks in advance. And thanks again.

Edit:
Addendum to previous post. One of my friends in Ireland rang me. She's pregnant and is having a difficult time with morning sickness. The doctor has her taking drugs that prevent or curtail her morning sickness and similar treatments are also administered to curtail certain kinds of motion sixkness. It struck me that the advanced medicines in the Honorverse would have that licked.

As per figure skaters. It seems little tricks are employed. Don't know what little tricks a crew could use but in the case of figure skaters, experience factors in as well...

Practice! Coaches generally limit novice figure skaters to just one or two rotations per spin. Only after months and years of training do skaters build up to seven or even eight revolutions. (Skaters must complete eight-revolution spins to secure the highest points.) They progressively work their way up from the three basic spins (upright, sit, camel) to complex variations on those such as the haircutter, the pancake or the doughnut. Although skaters can't rid themselves entirely of the dizziness sensation, most grow so accustomed to it that they hardly notice it—and it doesn't negatively affect their routines.
Coaches teach their pupils tricks, like staring at a fixed point at the end of the spin—much like travelers stare at the horizon to stop feeling nauseated. By settling their vision, figure skaters help their brains adapt faster. Some skaters, especially early in their careers, do breathing exercises. During training, they might spin as long as they can, stop to take a deep breath, and then spin again—repeating the pattern until they can handle multiple rotations.
Skaters also learn to mask dizziness-related imbalance from the judges. There are two moments in particular when spinning may cause dizziness: at the beginning of the spin, when the skaters are not yet used to the sensation, and at the end, when they must get re-acclimated to relative stillness. Skaters often compensate for post-spinning dizziness by integrating a small dance move into their routines before a jump. This interlude, of sorts, allows them to regain their balance

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... epeat.html

Last edited by cthia on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by saber964   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:50 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:I remember reading a few times about the effects of a downward translation when trying to carry across a lot of velocity, on the crew - nausea, etc.

I'm trying to locate that particular info but am catching no joy. I think the references were all in various books. Not sure about any other sources. I looked but as I said, caught no joy.

Specifically, is there a limit to the amount of velocity one can choose to carry across? And is that limit only a function of the amount of "sickness" a crew can sustain? I.E., I seem to recall that the more experienced crew aren't as affected?

Also, is there any negative effects to the ship itself? I don't recall that there is.

Aside:
I apologize if using this thread offends anyone else bedsides a certain poster who claims I'm trying to run up post counts or something. :roll: But I created this thread expressly for the reason to ask questions/discuss things that I don't think merits an entire thread. Before this thread, I was simply butting in (rudely I thought) to other threads for an aside to ask questions that sometimes derailed that particular thread, even if only temporarily. Via my upbringing, that rubbed me the wrong way. So I created this thread. If it offends, please steer clear. Simple.

There's several references to Translation Sickness in several books. IIRC there's one in HotQ when HMS Reliant made its translation Hamish could hear someone wretching in the background.

I'm thinking that Translation Sickness is analogous to seasickness. In that it affects people differently to varying degrees. With seasickness some have cast iron stomachs and others start being sick just going past the breakwater.
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
cthia wrote:I remember reading a few times about the effects of a downward translation when trying to carry across a lot of velocity, on the crew - nausea, etc.

Aside:

There's several references to Translation Sickness in several books. IIRC there's one in HotQ when HMS Reliant made its translation Hamish could hear someone wretching in the background.

I'm thinking that Translation Sickness is analogous to seasickness. In that it affects people differently to varying degrees. With seasickness some have cast iron stomachs and others start being sick just going past the breakwater.

Edited my last post to include this...

Addendum to previous post. One of my friends in Ireland rang me. She's pregnant and is having a difficult time with morning sickness. The doctor has her taking drugs that prevent or curtail her morning sickness and similar treatments are also administered to curtail certain kinds of motion sickness. It struck me that the advanced medicines in the Honorverse would have that licked.

As per figure skaters. It seems little tricks are employed. Don't know what little tricks a crew could use but in the case of figure skaters, experience factors in as well...

Practice! Coaches generally limit novice figure skaters to just one or two rotations per spin. Only after months and years of training do skaters build up to seven or even eight revolutions. (Skaters must complete eight-revolution spins to secure the highest points.) They progressively work their way up from the three basic spins (upright, sit, camel) to complex variations on those such as the haircutter, the pancake or the doughnut. Although skaters can't rid themselves entirely of the dizziness sensation, most grow so accustomed to it that they hardly notice it—and it doesn't negatively affect their routines.
Coaches teach their pupils tricks, like staring at a fixed point at the end of the spin—much like travelers stare at the horizon to stop feeling nauseated. By settling their vision, figure skaters help their brains adapt faster. Some skaters, especially early in their careers, do breathing exercises. During training, they might spin as long as they can, stop to take a deep breath, and then spin again—repeating the pattern until they can handle multiple rotations.
Skaters also learn to mask dizziness-related imbalance from the judges. There are two moments in particular when spinning may cause dizziness: at the beginning of the spin, when the skaters are not yet used to the sensation, and at the end, when they must get re-acclimated to relative stillness. Skaters often compensate for post-spinning dizziness by integrating a small dance move into their routines before a jump. This interlude, of sorts, allows them to regain their balance

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... epeat.html

Post by kzt   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:00 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Universe of Honor Harrington is what you should look at. No upper limit on velocity, but it is does have unpleasant side effects, like equipment wear, crew impact and emergence signal, all of which increase as velocity increases.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:31 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Universe of Honor Harrington is what you should look at. No upper limit on velocity, but it is does have unpleasant side effects, like equipment wear, crew impact and emergence signal, all of which increase as velocity increases.

Well there's no specific limit n how fast you're going when you drop down (well beyond the 0.6c rad shielding speed limit in hyper). However their is a max speed you can carry over into the next lower band. The "speed by hyper limit" table in the pearls also list the velocity drop from going up or down a hyper band.

If you crash down from the Theta bands the cumulative losses adds up to the most of your initial velocity.
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

saber964 wrote:
snippage

And of course, the original HH famously became sea-sick his first night aboard ship - at anchor.

Return to Honorverse