Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:14 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

kzt wrote:
Yow wrote:Seconded

He has some really good books, and some clunkers too.

The Flinx storyline (and assorted other related offshoots) was a lot of fun, though I've never read the most recent books.

His short story collections are really great. His first collection "With Friends Like These" has "Why Johnny Can't Speed", which has inspired more then a few games.

Yeah... there's a few of what could be called "clunkers" but even those are an enjoyable read for me. Maybe I'm just not quite as critical as others?

Why Johnny Can't Speed is one of my favorites of his short stories, as well as Gift of a Useless Man, which I first read in either Analog or Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine (I had subscriptions to both). I can't recall if GoaUM is in With Friends Like These... or ...Who Needs Enemies?, and my books are currently packed awaiting my move to S. Carolina next week. After 10 months of being unemployed, I finally got a job.

cthia wrote:Thanks Maxx. I have placed the material on my reading list. The posted link to the site is awesome; thanks for it also. And a hearty thanks to all who chimed in as well. The aforementioned author received a one, two, three thumbs up. So how can I pass.

Here's a link to the suggested reading order for *just* the Flinx and Pip books: http://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/frameset.htm

This is a link to the chonological reading order of *all* the Commonwealth books (and short stories) he's written (as well as a timeline for the entire Commonwealth - Note: B.C. is Before Commonwealth, and A.A. is After Amalgamation (the forming of the Commonwealth)): http://www.alandeanfoster.com/version2.0/frameset.htm

Novels are in orange and short stories are in green

Edit: Well, it appears both links only go to the main page, so just go to the sidebar and click on the FAQ. The chronological order of the Flinx and Pip books are the first question there. To get to the chronological order of *all* the Commonwealth books, go to the same sidebar and click "Chrono Data" under the Data category.
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Could Honor have somehow been promoted while she served in the Elysian Space Navy?

Just humor me here. If Honor & Co. had remained on Hades for quite some time more, they could have set up their own command structure. Honor could have made Fleet Admiral before leaving Hades.

That would have made her a hell of a Fleet Admiral. :roll: :lol:

Grayson would have accepted it. :cry:

She's a hell of a Fleet Admiral now.
She just could have made it sooner.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:05 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Could Honor have somehow been promoted while she served in the Elysian Space Navy?

Just humor me here. If Honor & Co. had remained on Hades for quite some time more, they could have set up their own command structure. Honor could have made Fleet Admiral before leaving Hades.

Honor was a full fleet admiral, the second ranking officer in the Grayson Space Navy since Flag in Exile.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SWM   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:31 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Could Honor have somehow been promoted while she served in the Elysian Space Navy?

That would not have worked, really. To have "set up their own command structure", they would basically have to declare themselves an independent fleet. They would no longer be operating as prisoners of war escaping captivity. By seizing Havenite ships and declaring such an independent fleet, they become pirates. Manticore and Grayson would have to disavow them.

As long as they operated as prisoners of war, they all retained the ranks they earned in their home navies. If they set up their own ranks, they are no longer operating as captured members of those navies.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Vince   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

SWM wrote:

That would not have worked, really. To have "set up their own command structure", they would basically have to declare themselves an independent fleet. They would no longer be operating as prisoners of war escaping captivity. By seizing Havenite ships and declaring such an independent fleet, they become pirates. Manticore and Grayson would have to disavow them.

As long as they operated as prisoners of war, they all retained the ranks they earned in their home navies. If they set up their own ranks, they are no longer operating as captured members of those navies.

Or alternately issue their own Declaration of Independence. Of course, that leads directly to the need to successfully carry it through.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

I wonder if Nesbit the politician is going to let slip the location of Bolthole (if he knows where it is) to Nesbit the spy, thus giving the Malign a new target for their "invisible" ships.

Just a thought

T&R
GJS
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Amaroq   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:49 am

Amaroq
Captain of the List

George J. Smith wrote:I wonder if Nesbit the politician is going to let slip the location of Bolthole (if he knows where it is) to Nesbit the spy, thus giving the Malign a new target for their "invisible" ships.

Just a thought

T&R
GJS

I'm surprised Nesbitt the spy hasn't been eliminated to clear up a loose thread. Maybe he's too valuable in his position at the moment for drastic action like that?
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A treecat's name for each other may change during different stages of a cat's growth. My niece brought up the fact that Honor was bonded at such a young age; therefore it is interesting that her cat name hasn't changed, to reflect Honor's inevitable change in resolve, maturity, resolution, et cetera. Certainly "Dances On Clouds" was young Honor. It is interesting that it hasn't changed. Did Nimitz' treecat name change?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Did Nimitz' treecat name change?

Nope.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:
Did Nimitz' treecat name change?

Nope.

Thanks.

I can believe that Elizabeth's "Soul of Steel" would remain the same because "she" hasn't changed, perhaps because she was forced to grow up so quickly and had become who she is very early on.

Honor, OTOH, seems to have come a very long way internally. It seems likely that it's high time her treecat name changes. "Dances On Clouds" seems an appropriate name given a precocious teenager apt to go traipsing off on an excursion alone in the Sphinx brush with her bonded cat.

Return to Honorverse