Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 am

TFLYTSNBN

kzt wrote:
Exidor wrote:All-in-all, though - I'm about five-eighths convinced that all your arguments - be it regarding Honor's actions on Grayson, or how the Solarians viewed Beowolf as treasonous - are actually a way of getting around the fanfic restrictions Mr. Weber places on his work. :)

You should realize that there is no evidence that he's ever actually read any of the books. As far as I can determine, his hornorvere arguments are solely this based on some article in some wiki somewhere.

He has read the books thoroughly.

He just has the nerve to look under the skirt.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Exidor wrote:All-in-all, though - I'm about five-eighths convinced that all your arguments - be it regarding Honor's actions on Grayson, or how the Solarians viewed Beowolf as treasonous - are actually a way of getting around the fanfic restrictions Mr. Weber places on his work. :)

You should realize that there is no evidence that he's ever actually read any of the books. As far as I can determine, his hornorvere arguments are solely this based on some article in some wiki somewhere.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:He has read the books thoroughly.

Thank you FLY.

Some of these skirts are kilts. OOPS. They have no balls.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:11 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

There's been an important breakthrough with my friends during the latest conference.

"You've got the moral high ground, don't you?"

"I do."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:You should realize that there is no evidence that he's ever actually read any of the books. As far as I can determine, his hornorvere arguments are solely this based on some article in some wiki somewhere.

If he looked up Honor's skirt, her armsmen would shoot him quick as a wink. They'd stop feeling guilty as soon as they realized what he was saying about her.

Now there several posters who challenge the story and back their views darned well. They aren't looking up anyone's skirts to do it either.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:You should realize that there is no evidence that he's ever actually read any of the books. As far as I can determine, his hornorvere arguments are solely this based on some article in some wiki somewhere.

PeterZ wrote:If he looked up Honor's skirt, her armsmen would shoot him quick as a wink. They'd stop feeling guilty as soon as they realized what he was saying about her.

Now there several posters who challenge the story and back their views darned well. They aren't looking up anyone's skirts to do it either.

I'm a perfect gentleman, Peter. I'll look away even when the wind blows a skirt aloft. But, I can't erase the glimpse.

Personally, I've never had a problem getting a woman to remove her skirt, for me.

Since I've got the balls and the confidence to simply ask Honor, eat your heart out.

Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Let's revisit this . . .

SCENARIO:

When I was a kid there was an annual Easter Egg Hunt held at Easter. Kids had to find hidden eggs scattered about the grasses. There was always one special egg painted differently than all the other eggs that was especially valuable. The value being some prize that a kid would really want, like the latest game machine. Imagine the same contest as adults. But the special egg is now worth TEN MILLION DOLLARS!

Well, everyone enters the contest. It is suddenly revealed that a certain woman in the contest named Honor has a friend that can detect the special egg. Do you want that friend there?

"Hey, that thing can detect the special egg!"
"He won't tell her!"
"Says who!?"
"He won't tell her."
"Will you watch him and see that he doesn't whisper it or something? Or give some sort of signal? Can we just get him out of here!?"

If the ability is discovered after the contest, someone may be hunted down and killed over TEN MILLION dollars. On Grayson, ten million austins isn't on the line. Simply their souls.

I've shared on numerous occasions English teachers commending me on my ability to become the character. I charge the forum, for once in your lives. BE THE CHARACTER! Take the scenario above, substitute YOUR LIFE in the place of TEN MILLION dollars as the prize you are seeking for finding the special Easter Egg. At the moment someone else finds the egg first, you die.

Close your eyes and put yourself in the shoes of doom, the moment of realization.

CLOSE YOUR EYES! . . . NOW! . . .

"Oh shit!"

Tremors of fear move down your spine and you shake in you boots. You are doomed. Your hands are clammy. You can't speak. Pfft! You are gone.

LIFE or DEATH is the stakes. Do you honestly want the woman participating who can detect the whereabouts of the egg? Do you really think it's fair? Do you really want her friend, who can also detect the egg, to be present? Remember, it's your life.

Go on, tell the forum you really want her there and how fair you really think it is. Go on. :lol:

Post by PeterZ   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:53 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:If he looked up Honor's skirt, her armsmen would shoot him quick as a wink. They'd stop feeling guilty as soon as they realized what he was saying about her.

cthia wrote:I'm a perfect gentleman, Peter. I'll look away even when the wind blows a skirt aloft. But, I can't erase the glimpse.

Personally, I've never had a problem getting a woman to remove her skirt, for me.

Since I've got the balls and the confidence to simply ask Honor, eat your heart out.

Ah, but the confidence to ask does not reflect the suavity necessary to succeed in the circumstances under discussion. The positions you are advocating are both insulting and demeaning to Honor. Undeservedly so in my opinion. Casting underserved blame at a woman is hardly an effective tactic to get her feeling intimate.
Post by tlb   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:57 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:LIFE or DEATH is the stakes. Do you honestly want the woman participating who can detect the whereabouts of the egg? Do you really think it's fair? Do you really want her friend, who can also detect the egg, to be present? Remember, it's your life.

Go on, tell the forum you really want her there and how fair you really think it is. Go on. :lol:

Not the same thing: Burdette's only chance at life was to win the Trial by Combat; if he either refuses to fight or loses, then he dies. Given his guilt, it was very fair that he died, it would be very unfair to his victims if he had won.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Anyone atall got balls to be the character?

Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I'm a perfect gentleman, Peter. I'll look away even when the wind blows a skirt aloft. But, I can't erase the glimpse.

PeterZ wrote:Ah, but the confidence to ask does not reflect the suavity necessary to succeed in the circumstances under discussion. The positions you are advocating are both insulting and demeaning to Honor. Undeservedly so in my opinion. Casting underserved blame at a woman is hardly an effective tactic to get her feeling intimate.

Peter, I would have been able to discuss anything with Honor. Since I'd have been sleeping with her from way back On Basilisk Station. I would have cried like a baby over what happened to Honor. As a Queen's officer I would have damn near self-destructed had I not even known her personally. She'd only have had to sample my emotions and she'd have asked me out. If left back in the Star Kingdom, I'd have raised more hell over what happened to her than ten Catherine Montaignes! But through it all, I'd still have told her she made a bad call, just like if Paul would have pointed out to her the scandal she could be bringing to Grayson. And she'd have accepted it.

Honor, has always been a bastion of truth. Honor, would not want anyone pussyfooting around that truth. Honor, would have no problem admitting that truth to herself and to the world, should it ever be presented to her. Honor, would admit that allowing Nimitz to remain during the duel was not the correct strategic decision under the circumstances regardless of whether or not she intended to shun the unfair advantage. Honor would realize the severity of the mistake on a planet like Grayson.

Honor is only human. She made an error in judgement that can greatly impact Grayson. There is no way that I think she intentionally cheated. I don't even think her focus was on being fair to Burdette. She was wounded. Tired. Hungry. Angry. Sleepy and grieving. And she wanted to sever - Burdette's ties with the world along with his neck. Many professionals make an error in judgement in the midst of a lack of sleep and a whole lot less problems than Honor had.

But the THING is irrefutable.

Whether it went down like that or no, after learning her secret, would you not cry like a bitch about the unfairness of it all, if it was your head on the chopping block? Sure you wouldn't. :roll:

Return to Honorverse