Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], markusschaber and 129 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:59 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Don,

From their MoH conversation, E&E know the MAlign has false fronts who will be bitterly opposed to genetic slavery.

Given nanotech assassins, the GA will insist treecats be present with all strangers, and said treecats have been very discrete in alerting the humans what the stranger is thinking, so the RF leaders will have to risk it when their announce themselves.

The patient long game would be more MAlign like, but my impression of the clone sons is that they're even more impatient than their father, and will make even greater egregious mistakes.

From their bios the RF leaders have been groomed to be opposed to genetic slavery in word and deed, yet can they hide their thoughts from treecats?

I look forward to O'Hanrahan's interview with Mike, to see how alpha lines deal with treecats; though Mike should have had her more permanent treecat guardian delivered by Tourville, along with Medusa's since Samantha has met both.

The db sent to Manticore through the Visigoth termini ought to get there in less than 176 hours [7&1/3 days] so it could return in less than 15.

His Celeryness may have something special for Mike's treecat, a real cowboy who likes Maine coon cats and cigars. 8-)

Brigade XO is quite correct the SLN will discover some of their worst nightmares in Silesia, since SoS mentioned Sarnow had 12 times as many warships in the SEM's ~49% of Silesia while the TC had close to 18 times the volume [SoS chapter 11, 4th page -page 149 in the HB].

If Kumalo had only 25 warships [I think it was more like 3 dozen, but that's my minimum], that'd be 300, or more than 20% of the RMN's strength in the critical summer of 1920, an incredible burden to the RMN at such a critical time, although RMN ship construction had easily exceeded this by April 1921 [HoS].

Silesia has some 65-69 star systems, so Sarnow might have been dealing with twice as many systems as Kumalo [in 4.5% of the volume], but averaging ~9 warships per star, before the 48 Kamerling's system control cruisers are added to the LAC's with their special bases mentioned in passing etc.

Of course the IAN may have an even higher density of warships, missile pods and LAC's in its 51% of Silesia.
8-)

I'm curious who thought of the merchant raiding plan; Kingsford, or did some MAlign agent [not Gwoen] suggest it to get the best FF ships out of the shell and the verge when the SL needs them there more than ever, and the mission is almost certain suicide.

I have lots of questions for UC to answer. :)

L

n7axw wrote:I doubt that the RF's intentions and it's ties with the Alignment will be evident when they publicaly declare their star nation. That will take time to come out; in all likelihood a quite a bit of it...

Don

-
n7axw wrote:Good to see your post, Lyonheart. It does inspire one comment. I suspect that they would pass the treecat truth test with flying colors on the subject of genetic slavery. Textev suggests that a quite a few individuals in the outer layers of the onion find both Manpower and genetic slavery repulsive. The subject of human improvement through genetic manipulation would be an entirely different matter, however, and could evoke a different response...

Don

-

Joubert's initiative?

These posts makes me consider the notion of a tailored battery of questions in the company of Clean Killer, designed to flesh out a Malign operative in or out of the Onion, posited anywhere in the galaxy. Maybe they didn't have time to get the kill switch either. And if they did, that's just one more Malignant operative cleaned.

1) What do you think about the Yawata Strike?
2) Do you have any idea who perpetrated it?
3) Have you ever been on a planet most of the galaxy is unaware of?
4) You ever been on what is called a streak boat?

ONI investigation on wheels.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The notion of a certain bonded guess appearing on INTO THE FIRE with Audrey O'Hanrahan suddenly asking her pointed questions is intriguing.

Has O'Hanrahan received the kill switch? Pointed ONI interrogative questions designed by Joubert suddenly killing Audrey O'Hanrahan right on HD in sight of billions is very intriguing.

"The RMN has been trying to tell you people about this for quite some time. CAN YOU HEAR US NOW?"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:44 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
Joubert's initiative?

These posts makes me consider the notion of a tailored battery of questions in the company of Clean Killer, designed to flesh out a Malign operative in or out of the Onion, posited anywhere in the galaxy. Maybe they didn't have time to get the kill switch either. And if they did, that's just one more Malignant operative cleaned.

Yeah, these wouldn't work all that well.

The answer to number one from a non-Malign, well-informed person: "Police, there's a wanted terrorist in front of me."

The answer to number one from a Malign agent: "Police, there's a wanted terrorist in front of me."

Clean Killer will be destroyed. Then Firebrand can be extradited to Kornati to face trial for his role in the terrorist attacks on Kornati. Then executed.

Also I assume that most worlds (at least worlds with half-decent governments) have laws preventing intelligent alien species from being taken from their planets. Otherwise you'd get things like horribly abused Medusan circus performers and other terrible things. Although in the case of a Treecat found in the company of a wanted terrorist, they'll probably need to dissect the thing to check for bioweapons.

And a wanted terrorist getting caught with a Treecat will go over great in the media on Kornati. And by great I mean great for the Malign.

Unless these questions are done on Manticore. In which case the Malign agent can just refuse to answer any questions and then tip off the Kornati police about where they saw Firebrand. Similarly, its entirely possible a a regular civilian might tell Firebrand to bugger off. They could try it, but they'll be chasing false positives forever. A individual with a good security team or simply a bit of paranoia might be able to make Firebrand too.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:The notion of a certain bonded guess appearing on INTO THE FIRE with Audrey O'Hanrahan suddenly asking her pointed questions is intriguing.

Has O'Hanrahan received the kill switch? Pointed ONI interrogative questions designed by Joubert suddenly killing Audrey O'Hanrahan right on HD in sight of billions is very intriguing.

"The RMN has been trying to tell you people about this for quite some time. CAN YOU HEAR US NOW?"

I doubt O'Hanrahan would ever want to be within a mile of any treecat. Having an intelligence expert with a bonded treecat would be shattering. Having Honor with Nimitz might be excruciating.

Remember she knows at least some things about MAlign. How much we don't know. But she would be a source of great information. And if Cachat got to interrogate her with a treecat nearby...well, that could really be fun.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:The notion of a certain bonded guess appearing on INTO THE FIRE with Audrey O'Hanrahan suddenly asking her pointed questions is intriguing.

I very much doubt O'Hanrahan would have a kill switch that triggers in response to pointed questions. Even IF that did happen it would just look like Manticore assassinated a reporter with the most insane cover story ever.

ldwechsler wrote:Remember she knows at least some things about MAlign. How much we don't know. But she would be a source of great information. And if Cachat got to interrogate her with a treecat nearby...well, that could really be fun.
GA agent kidnaps and tortures a reporter? Congratulations! You've won the "Mass Murdering Dictatorship Award."! It comes with a free round of relativistic strikes by ships you still can't detect on ALL OF YOUR PLANETS!

Unless you meant a peaceful interview in which case I'm sure O'Hanrahan has dealt with politicians who try and change the subject. Wouldn't be a very good reporter otherwise. Also if she got within range of a Treecat it would be bad. She could explain the history leading up to the Yawata strike, how Manticore started it by their role in murdering thousands of children, how the day of Sorrow was from Manticorian debris falling down upon the planet, how Manticore chose to place the Treecats in harms way when they placed their military station, and how Manticore started a war when it couldn't protect the Treecats from the consequences. She can say all this truthfully, since its conclusions she could reasonably come to from the facts and evidence. She might need to use the appropriate conditionals, since she probably isn't sure of all of it. Don't forget she has no idea about the operational details either. :evil:

This should be particularly effective, since the Treecats don't really understand deception or propaganda. Of course, the highest effectiveness would be if one of the GA people reflexively denies something they know is actually true.
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
cthia wrote:
Joubert's initiative?

Yeah, these wouldn't work all that well.

The answer to number one from a non-Malign, well-informed person: "Police, there's a wanted terrorist in front of me."

The answer to number one from a Malign agent: "Police, there's a wanted terrorist in front of me."

Clean Killer will be destroyed. Then Firebrand can be extradited to Kornati to face trial for his role in the terrorist attacks on Kornati. Then executed.

Also I assume that most worlds (at least worlds with half-decent governments) have laws preventing intelligent alien species from being taken from their planets. Otherwise you'd get things like horribly abused Medusan circus performers and other terrible things. Although in the case of a Treecat found in the company of a wanted terrorist, they'll probably need to dissect the thing to check for bioweapons.

And a wanted terrorist getting caught with a Treecat will go over great in the media on Kornati. And by great I mean great for the Malign.

Unless these questions are done on Manticore. In which case the Malign agent can just refuse to answer any questions and then tip off the Kornati police about where they saw Firebrand. Similarly, its entirely possible a a regular civilian might tell Firebrand to bugger off. They could try it, but they'll be chasing false positives forever. A individual with a good security team or simply a bit of paranoia might be able to make Firebrand too.

I don't imagine that either of the duo are afraid of dying.

Don't make the mistake of suffering from shortsightedness or unimaginative muster. Remember, the Honorverse has so many methods of changing ones identity. When they finish with Harahap, his own mother wouldn't recognize him. On top of that, no one who does know him expects him to be bonded. Besides, donning disguises and displaying the talents of a chameleon as he adapts for the mission at hand is what he does.

1) And Damien Harahap is good at what he does. It is a shame to think that he cannot continue in his destiny—his and Clean Killer's manifest destiny. I think he has the makings of an extraordinary spy.

Now factor in Clean Killer. Clean Killer is not your average treecat. He is an awakened giant, as deadly and dangerous as Foraker when she was awakened, and wise to the dangers that lay beyond the stars in a way that it lives festering beneath his skin. He must avenge Silver Claw and her family and the Black Rock clan. He can no longer live content and happy within his place in the treecat world. Not yet.

The treecats are not pets. They are People too. They have just as much to lose as the two-legs, have just as much to avenge as the two-legs. It is an emotional burden that weighs much heavier on their hearts. The treecats have pledged to assist the humans in every conceivable way that they can, to protect, and to see that justice is done. Let them do that. I imagine that Clean Killer tasted in Harahap what he had longed for since his sister's death. Someone who can help him see this through. Someone with the wherewithal to take him beyond the stars into the unknown worlds and cities of the two-legs in search of what must be found. Clean Killer can no longer return to his innocent, naive life of a contented cat. He has much too bigger fish to fry.

<I will not go gentle into that good night>
<So much rage against the dying of the light>

2) It doesn't have to be Harahap and Clean Killer who take on this missive.

And. It. Is. Their. Right!

UH wrote:Yet he had discovered he could not go back to his everyday life as one of Mossy Tree's scouts. He could no longer roam the netwood and golden leaf, hunting and warding, guarding the clan from Death Fangs and snow hunters. Not when he knew that other far greater threats hid beyond the stars. And so, when the Memory Singers sent forth a summons—seeking volunteers to venture among the two-legs and guard them against the threat they could not taste themselves, the other two-legs, who had evil-doers somehow compelled to slay even their closest friends—Clean Killer, scout of Mossy Tree clan, was among the first to volunteer. And not just because of his need to protect the two-legs as he fought to protect all the People. People and two-legs alike, of his world. No, he volunteered because he hoped that some day, some way, he could come within claws reach of at least one of the evil-doers responsible for such slaughters, so many deaths. And on the day that he did...

Last edited by cthia on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

I doubt O'Hanrahan would ever want to be within a mile of any treecat. Having an intelligence expert with a bonded treecat would be shattering. Having Honor with Nimitz might be excruciating.

Remember she knows at least some things about MAlign. How much we don't know. But she would be a source of great information. And if Cachat got to interrogate her with a treecat nearby...well, that could really be fun.

Do you blame her?

Yet, life doesn't always deal us the cards we want. Sometimes, it just so happens that shit just seems to run down our legs.

Regardless, you can't deny it'd be such a wonderful sight to see. In fact, in spite of all of the legal ramifications, it'd be just swell to see Clean Killer cleanly sever her head from her shoulders on system-wide HD. But I'll swallow that impulse for the sake of the greater good.

EXTRY! EXTRY!
READ ALL ABOUT IT!

AUDREY O'HANRAHAN DIES
AT THE HANDS OF A HANDYMAN
AND HIS CLEAN KILLER

Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Eloise gets back to Haven and comes face to face with the opposition, her 'cat protector is going to have a field day with all the hatred emanating from them.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by n7axw   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:50 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think all of you are badly over estimating what O'Hanrahan actually knows. She was recruited for her job as a teenager, iirc. Then she has spent years away from Mesa out of the loop without any need to know. Highly intelligent, she probably has some good hunches about what is happening, but not detailed knowledge... maybe not as much as Harahap.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:57 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

As far as I can tell O'Hanrahan knows she's part of a lineage of individuals who believe that genetic enhancement can be a force for good and she occasionally gets really great tips for her investigative reporting from them.

Just try calling her on that without coming off as racist.

Look O'Hanrahan is a top tier investigative reporter. Henke is not going to corner her in an interview. Especially if Henke is trying to hide anything.

Return to Honorverse