Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S, penny, ThinksMarkedly and 56 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by ti3x   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:11 am

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote:
pappilon wrote:I fyou're the only one annoing people here, I'm obviously not trying hard enough . keep up the good work Brother

Pappilon.
ldwechsler wrote:The horse has been dead for so long it can't even be put in cans for dog food.

Plus, we've already seen two major tech innovations: spider drive and streak drive. I don't know that MAlign is that far ahead on all that much else.

I think that horse was pretty much beat way before I joined the forum. I didn't get the retroactive email.

One thing is for certain. It is certainly TWTSNBN again by cthia. At least Honor got TWTSNBN to work twice. The one time really counted, when she saved Fearless and the rest of her crew against a Q-ship.

The worthless Solly junk never worked even once. Even when they were a fleet in the hands of their own navy raging for justice. Yet threads resurrecting their utility didn't receive what I received. As my parents always taught us, I'm looking at the bright side. As a result, one scene is made even more real to me...

Now I know what Hemphill felt like facing Honor on the WDB. I'm sure she'll never name that Voldemoort again either. LOL

Dude, TWTSNBN was a major source of fracture in the fandom, and has been a major pain in the side of the author since at least the original Baen's Bar web forum opened (and possibly earlier, when fans would congregate on Usenet). Your proposal is unlikely to even be the first for that particular setup.

This is an issue that has been around for over 20 years about a book that first came out 25 years ago. There are fans that are serving their country/raising families/finishing college that were not even conceived when DW was first being told by misguided fans how he could make a grav lance work in some special or specific vehicle...

...when the point of the story was the the lance was a weapon that could only work in the most improbable circumstances.

That floating Solly junk has nothing on TWTSNBN.

It's a major reason why I lurk instead of post, I'm disinclined to get involved in arguments that were little different back when I was in college.
Last edited by ti3x on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote: (polite snip)
I'm annoying the shit out of everybody? Just me? This is the first and only time I've ever broached TWTSNBN. I really didn't know it was an author's request. How can cthia be annoying the shit out of everyone as far as TWTSNBN goes? Which leads me to consider that the statement is generally meant that cthia is annoying the hell out of everyone generally.

-- cthia

If you're the only one annoying people here, I'm obviously not trying hard enough . keep up the good work Brother

Pappilon.

Thank you very much for the common decency Pappilon.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:07 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Now this is a bit rude. Just as Duckk is not immune to being human and is incapable of reading every post. So too am I. I try to at least sit in on technical threads when possible. But I normally have several threads at a time brewing in the pot myself. I am not making excuses, just stating facts.

I apologize for not getting the memo and missing the thread previously explaining the seriousness of TWTSNBN. I always took it as humor, similar to the many worthless solly junk threads...]

That post was intended to be read with your [sarcasm] and [humor] settings turned up a little more.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:07 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote: (polite snip)
I'm annoying the shit out of everybody? Just me? This is the first and only time I've ever broached TWTSNBN. I really didn't know it was an author's request. How can cthia be annoying the shit out of everyone as far as TWTSNBN goes? Which leads me to consider that the statement is generally meant that cthia is annoying the hell out of everyone generally.

-- cthia

pappilon wrote:
If you're the only one annoying people here, I'm obviously not trying hard enough . keep up the good work Brother

Pappilon.

Thank you very much for the common decency Pappilon.

Wasn't just hammering you! This was a case of pounding that damned cockroach --- after it survived nuclear winter --- before it crawled out of some other corner. Trust me, once you get the undead demon from hell sealed into the bottle with the Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse as the side dish and Freddy Kreuger as the aperitif, you don't let anyone crack that particular seal again!

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by munroburton   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:19 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:I think that horse was pretty much beat way before I joined the forum. I didn't get the retroactive email.

One thing is for certain. It is certainly TWTSNBN again by cthia. At least Honor got TWTSNBN to work twice. The one time really counted, when she saved Fearless and the rest of her crew against a Q-ship.

Not exactly. It's clear that Fearless could have hammered the Q-ship much harder earlier in the Battle of Basilisk if Fearless hadn't been refitted experimentally, destroying it with missiles alone.

My conclusion is that the presence of the grav lance+energy torpedo combo actually killed quite a lot of Fearless' crew - including the chief engineer, Dominica Santos - by depriving the ship of essential long-ranged firepower.

And that is why Honor debriefed the WDB with such fire and fury.
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote:I think that horse was pretty much beat way before I joined the forum. I didn't get the retroactive email.

Not exactly. It's clear that Fearless could have hammered the Q-ship much harder earlier in the Battle of Basilisk if Fearless hadn't been refitted experimentally, destroying it with missiles alone.

My conclusion is that the presence of the grav lance+energy torpedo combo actually killed quite a lot of Fearless' crew - including the chief engineer, Dominica Santos - by depriving the ship of essential long-ranged firepower.

And that is why Honor debriefed the WDB with such fire and fury.

I feel Hemphill's pain. It's horrible. We are now kindred spirits.

Now that you mentioned it. Exactly how much more firepower would Honor have been able to bring to bear on the Q-ship? Can't remember how many tubes she lost. But wouldn't she still have been limited by the same missile load out?

IOW, she would have had more tubes, but would that have equated to actually carrying more missiles? I always thought she'd have been able to fire more missiles at the Q-ship -- an increased throw weight -- but would have shot herself dry even sooner? Is that how it works?

It all boiling down to her being able to definitely stop the Q-ship much farther in-system, resulting in the final confrontation sooner?

And if course likely preventing as many deaths as you've pointed out.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
pappilon wrote:I fyou're the only one annoing people here, I'm obviously not trying hard enough . keep up the good work Brother

Pappilon.
ldwechsler wrote:The horse has been dead for so long it can't even be put in cans for dog food.

Plus, we've already seen two major tech innovations: spider drive and streak drive. I don't know that MAlign is that far ahead on all that much else.

I think that horse was pretty much beat way before I joined the forum. I didn't get the retroactive email.

The worthless Solly junk never worked even once. Even when they were a fleet in the hands of their own navy raging for justice. Yet threads resurrecting their utility didn't receive what I received. As my parents always taught us, I'm looking at the bright side. As a result, one scene is made even more real to me...

Now I know what Hemphill felt like facing Honor on the WDB. I'm sure she'll never name that Voldemoort again either. LOL
ti3x wrote:Dude, TWTSNBN was a major source of fracture in the fandom, and has been a major pain in the side of the author since at least the original Baen's Bar web forum opened (and possibly earlier, when fans would congregate on Usenet). Your proposal is unlikely to even be the first for that particular setup.

This is an issue that has been around for over 20 years about a book that first came out 25 years ago. There are fans that are serving their country/raising families/finishing college that were not even conceived when DW was first being told by misguided fans how he could make a grav lance work in some special or specific vehicle...

...when the point of the story was the the lance was a weapon that could only work in the most improbable circumstances.

It's a major reason why I lurk instead of post, I'm disinclined to get involved in arguments that were little different back when I was in college.

Thanks for the history. I wasn't aware of it.

I only joined the forum in 2014. I've never been a member of Baen's Bar. Or any other bar, real or imagined. In my entire hiatus it has only been about nothing but the Captured Solly Junk threads taking the blue ribbons for annoyance. So much so that the author formally scrapped them, in as of yet unpublished textev.

BUT! I finally got the belated memo. Even if in an unnecessary, ill-founded round of blistering battle steel...

IF ANOTHER SOB COMES IN HERE WITH SOME LAME ASS IDEA ABOUT HOW TO USE A GRAV LANCE I'M GONNA BEND HIM OVER PULL DOWN HIS LITTLE PINK PANTIES TAKE ME ONE OF THOSE WORTHLESS PIECES OF JUNK AND GREASE HER UP REAL GOOD WITH SOME WD-40 STAND HER UP ON END AND SHOVE IT UP HIS CANDY ASS ... inhale
WHILE ENGAGING THE FIRING MECHANISM!

Admiralty out!

Post by Dauntless   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

Now that you mentioned it. Exactly how much more firepower would Honor have been able to bring to bear on the Q-ship? Can't remember how many tubes she lost. But wouldn't she still have been limited by the same missile load out?

a courageous class CL had a 7 tube broadside and even with compensator tech as it was back then she had enough accel advantage to be able to use it.

as to number of missiles aboard while exact numbers are not given it is stated several times that the manginess were heavily down sized so extra energy torps could be fitted.

so basically almost 4 times the missiles per salvo and deep enough magazines to use them for a respectable amount of time (a CL after all like a DD is expect to keep fights short and sharp).

it is difficult to say how it would have changed her tactics but at the very least she would exposed the throat of her wedge much less and probably been able to use the PD mounts on her broadside rather then just the couple on her bow which in theory would have vastly reduced her damage.
Post by ti3x   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Cthia, dear, this isn't about you. This is about you raising a topic that is verboten for some very good reasons.

When you, however intentionally or unintentionally, step on everyone's collective dick, and are called out and razzed for it, you are not the victim. So skip the passive-aggressive martyred melodrama BS. Because while you may think this is about you, you're nothing more than one of (tens of? I want to say tens of) thousands of fans that's gone through this.

And every time the topic has not been shut down forcefully, it multiplies. Because every reasonably worded "no" from the author just gets fans to reasonably and insistently suggest a new way (that has likely been suggested dozens or sometimes hundreds of times before). Which gets another "no". After which the fan will typically insist on an explanation from the author because entitlement, and the author ends up spending all his time explaining again and again why the answer is still "no" until he decides that fan interaction is just "the worst" and decides to go back to his life and family. You saw it starting in this thread.

It once lasted for multiple years. We do not want a repeat.

Nuclear fire is the only way to kill this topic.

Really, again, this isn't about you. It's about the topic you raised. So while you got singed, the infestation has been burned out (for now), and is unlikely to spread to other posters (for now).

Also, that's not how "retroactive" works. That's not how that word works at all.

Since it's in the Q&A of the first post of the forum rules (and was there from the start) that you should skip suggestions involving grav lances, any ridicule you face is fully earned.

cthia wrote:

ti3x wrote:Dude, TWTSNBN was a major source of fracture in the fandom, and has been a major pain in the side of the author since at least the original Baen's Bar web forum opened (and possibly earlier, when fans would congregate on Usenet). Your proposal is unlikely to even be the first for that particular setup.

Thanks for the history. I wasn't aware of it.

I only joined the forum in 2014. I've never been a member of Baen's Bar. Or any other bar, real or imagined. In my entire hiatus it has only been about nothing but the Captured Solly Junk threads taking the blue ribbons for annoyance. So much so that the author formally scrapped them, in as of yet unpublished textev.

BUT! I finally got the belated memo. Even if in an unnecessary, ill-founded round of blistering battle steel...

IF ANOTHER SOB COMES IN HERE WITH SOME LAME ASS IDEA ABOUT HOW TO USE A GRAV LANCE I'M GONNA BEND HIM OVER PULL DOWN HIS LITTLE PINK PANTIES TAKE ME ONE OF THOSE WORTHLESS PIECES OF JUNK AND GREASE HER UP REAL GOOD WITH SOME WD-40 STAND HER UP ON END AND SHOVE IT UP HIS CANDY ASS ... inhale
WHILE ENGAGING THE FIRING MECHANISM!

Admiralty out!
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

One thing is for certain. It is certainly TWTSNBN again by cthia.

The acronym, "TWTSNBN," didn't give you a clue? What is it about "The Weapon That Shall Not Be Named" that suggested you should find a new use for it?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse