Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 165 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by pnakasone   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:06 am

pnakasone
Captain of the List

drinksmuchcoffee wrote:Which raises another funky issue.

SOP for every navy in the Honorverse is to put the crew in skin suits and pump at least some of the air when you go to General Quarters. Given that servicing the suits (either with an automated system or (ick!) manually) will take a nonzero amount of time, you could in theory catch a ship (and crew) with their collective pants around their ankles.

Perhaps you could use the Lorelei decoys to lead a system defense force on a long, tedious stern chase before they finally reveal themselves. Then when the hypothetical force realizes it has been had and give it some time to leave GQ your strike force hypers in.

This is analogous to what happened to Nagumo's carriers at a place called Midway.

This idea wouldn't work if the servicing time for a skin suit is minutes, but would work if it were measured in hours.

The simple solution for this problem would be to have at least one spare suit per person.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:00 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

pnakasone wrote:The simple solution for this problem would be to have at least one spare suit per person.

You could cycle it fairly fast. Use a high pressure detergent wash to get gross contamination off, dry it in vacuum, then flood the system with ethylene dioxide to sterilize it. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh, right: "At room temperature it[ethylene dioxide] is a flammable, carcinogenic, mutagenic, irritating, and anaesthetic gas, with a misleadingly pleasant aroma."..."It is extremely flammable and explosive and is used as a main component of thermobaric weapons".

Ok, maybe gamma irradiation?
Post by pnakasone   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:15 am

pnakasone
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
pnakasone wrote:The simple solution for this problem would be to have at least one spare suit per person.

You could cycle it fairly fast. Use a high pressure detergent wash to get gross contamination off, dry it in vacuum, then flood the system with ethylene dioxide to sterilize it. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh, right: "At room temperature it[ethylene dioxide] is a flammable, carcinogenic, mutagenic, irritating, and anaesthetic gas, with a misleadingly pleasant aroma."..."It is extremely flammable and explosive and is used as a main component of thermobaric weapons".

The extra suit adds redundancy so no matter how much of a cycle time skinsuits need between uses you would have one available.
Post by saber964   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:26 pm

saber964
Admiral

pnakasone wrote:
kzt" quote="pnakasone wrote:The simple solution for this problem would be to have at least one spare suit per person.

The extra suit adds redundancy so no matter how much of a cycle time skinsuits need between uses you would have one available.[/quote]

Can't have spare skinsuits per person it too expensive. IIRC Honorverse skinsuits are custom fitted to the wearer and are part of your personal equipment list. IIRC in EoH they tried to find a skinsuit for Honor but we're unable to do so. They also have emergency skinsuits.
Post by saber964   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:27 pm

saber964
Admiral

pnakasone wrote:
kzt" quote="pnakasone wrote:The simple solution for this problem would be to have at least one spare suit per person.

The extra suit adds redundancy so no matter how much of a cycle time skinsuits need between uses you would have one available.[/quote]

Can't have spare skinsuits per person it too expensive. IIRC Honorverse skinsuits are custom fitted to the wearer and are part of your personal equipment list. IIRC in EoH they tried to find a skinsuit for Honor but we're unable to do so. They also have emergency skinsuits.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
pnakasone wrote:
The extra suit adds redundancy so no matter how much of a cycle time skinsuits need between uses you would have one available.

Emergency spacesuits - those aren't skinsuits. Those will keep you alive, but way less functionality than skinsuits.

However I'm not convinced that cost (or storage space) is a sufficient bar to prevent Honorverse navies from issuing two pairs of skinsuits. Any naval repair yard or naval station would have the necessary suit fabbers to alter or build skinsuits - and a second skinsuit is cheaper than a new trained crewmember. So you'd have to crunch the numbers and see how often a second suit would save lives to see if it's worth doing -- or if that money / shipboard volume would be save more lives (or improve effectiveness) more if spend on something else.
Post by drinksmuchcoffee   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:18 pm

drinksmuchcoffee
Lieutenant Commander

Sometimes I think it is a more remarkable technological advance to have space suits that you can put on and take off by yourself and can comfortably wear for long periods in a 1g environment than faster-than-light travel would be.
Post by pnakasone   » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:]Emergency spacesuits - those aren't skinsuits. Those will keep you alive, but way less functionality than skinsuits.

However I'm not convinced that cost (or storage space) is a sufficient bar to prevent Honorverse navies from issuing two pairs of skinsuits. Any naval repair yard or naval station would have the necessary suit fabbers to alter or build skinsuits - and a second skinsuit is cheaper than a new trained crewmember. So you'd have to crunch the numbers and see how often a second suit would save lives to see if it's worth doing -- or if that money / shipboard volume would be save more lives (or improve effectiveness) more if spend on something else.

One thing is I believe that the RMN drills its crews in full battle conditions more frequently then most navies do. So having a spare suit in case a enemy is rude enough to show up after a dill is simply good thinking.

I think we are making a bigger deal of "custom fitted" then it really is.With the exception of the codpiece most the rest of a skin suit components could be made in a range of standard sizes that are then given final adjustments to fit the person their for.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pnakasone wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:]Emergency spacesuits - those aren't skinsuits. Those will keep you alive, but way less functionality than skinsuits.

One thing is I believe that the RMN drills its crews in full battle conditions more frequently then most navies do. So having a spare suit in case a enemy is rude enough to show up after a dill is simply good thinking.

I think we are making a bigger deal of "custom fitted" then it really is.With the exception of the codpiece most the rest of a skin suit components could be made in a range of standard sizes that are then given final adjustments to fit the person their for.

The human element is still sitting in on this meeting guys.

I can certainly see certain members of the crew, who routinely may have to suit up, having spares but I think it would be too much overkill and a waste of space and resources for everyone to have a backup.

Besides, the human element's two cents says that having a backup does not solve the problem, it can conceivably make it worse.

Having more dishes to use doesn't solve the problem of dirty dishes, it just supplies more dirty dishes to wash.

My roommates found that out during our college years.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One question comes to mind and that is... from whence did they scare that extra suit up that Honor used?

Initially, I was thinking that one could just borrow a suit from someone of ~ equal size in a pinch. But after thinking about it more slowly... Ewww! These suits would be as personal as toothbrushes.

And of course, there would be gender specific suits because of the different plumbing. I wouldn't think there are many women as tall as Honor available.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse