Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by saber964   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 pm

saber964
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
pappilon wrote:...Then she got the Princess Cruise aboard Hexapuma. ...

You missed a step: Ginger went "Mustang" and received an OCS commission before her tour on Hexapuma.

She has got a lot of recommendations behind her. First she received a meritorious advancement from the Salamander from PO2 to SCPO. Then she received the Osterman Cross which comes with a recommendation to OCS and probably a strong encouragement to accept from the Salamander. BuPers is going to take notice. Then she goes to an advance course under Terikov. Ginger Lewis is on the fast track from hell. She took a ten year jump in seniority during her first cruise and she's a full commander as Cheng after another ten or so years including a stint at OCS. I wouldn't be surprised her next promotion will jump her over CAPT(SG) to Commodore or even possibly RADM.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:08 am

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:On another front...

“From Admiral Sir Lucien Cortez, Fifth Space Lord, Royal Manticoran Navy,” she read, ...

snip

Fail not in this charge at your peril. By order of Admiral Hamish Alexander-Harrington, Earl White Haven and First Lord of Admiralty, Royal Manticoran Navy, for Her Majesty the Empress.”

I always wondered what that meant...

Fail not in this charge at your peril. Really, what does that ominous statement mean? Phuck up and you'll be castrated? Well, Young should have lost his gonads by order of the same archaic paper he read before assuming command of Warlock.

Ask John Bynge, Admiral, RN. O, you can't. The Brits shot him for "failing to do is utmost" in defending/retaking the island of Minorca from the French, in violation of the Twelfth Article of War.

Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.

Voltaire, Candide
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:01 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Fox2! wrote:On another front...

“From Admiral Sir Lucien Cortez, Fifth Space Lord, Royal Manticoran Navy,” she read, ...

snip

Fail not in this charge at your peril. By order of Admiral Hamish Alexander-Harrington, Earl White Haven and First Lord of Admiralty, Royal Manticoran Navy, for Her Majesty the Empress.”

Fail not in this charge at your peril. Really, what does that ominous statement mean? Phuck up and you'll be castrated? Well, Young should have lost his gonads by order of the same archaic paper he read before assuming command of Warlock.

Ask John Bynge, Admiral, RN. O, you can't. The Brits shot him for "failing to do is utmost" in defending/retaking the island of Minorca from the French, in violation of the Twelfth Article of War.

We've sort of gone over this before but it simply means that as captain you are responsible for your ship. If something goes wrong, you are on the hot seat.

Young did face trial for his actions and, thanks to politics, did not get fully punished...just tossed out of the navy but he went right into the Lords.

Most don't have that option.

Even today, if there is a mishap, for example the collisions of the US Navy ships in the Pacific, there is a Court of Inquiry.
The language is old but we have kept the concept and so has RFC.
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I will post it later as probably my most favorite passage yet, but I asked quite some time ago about whether Honor ever found out that Tourville erased the sensor data from Tepes allowing her and her party to escape. RFC handled that concern of mine in the most tear-jerking way imaginable with the exchange between LaFontaine and Sinead. Simply tear-jerking and will undoubtedly become my most favorite passage.

WOW!

Completed SoV. I love it! There are lots of goodies. I will respond at length when time permits. Toys-For-Tots and other volunteering duties still taking loads of my time until January. The poorness of some smaller cities and towns brings tears to my eyes.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Another concern. I thought that Sinead got off of the Charles Ward and booked passage aboard an armed freighter transport. But she arrived to see Terekov still aboard the Charles Ward? Perhaps a reread is in order.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by robert132   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:She has got a lot of recommendations behind her. First she received a meritorious advancement from the Salamander from PO2 to SCPO. Then she received the Osterman Cross which comes with a recommendation to OCS and probably a strong encouragement to accept from the Salamander. BuPers is going to take notice. Then she goes to an advance course under Terikov. Ginger Lewis is on the fast track from hell. She took a ten year jump in seniority during her first cruise and she's a full commander as Cheng after another ten or so years including a stint at OCS. I wouldn't be surprised her next promotion will jump her over CAPT(SG) to Commodore or even possibly RADM.

You made the same points I was about to, "past success is an indicator of future success." - Paraphrased.

Ginger has made success a habit much as Duchess ADM Alexander-Harrington did early in her own career and like the Admiral many of those successes were spectacular in their own way, so it stands to reason BuPers will take notice.

The next step in her career will greatly depend on how that Bridge Chair fits her, but then I think you all understand that.
Last edited by robert132 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by robert132   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Fox2! wrote:
cthia wrote:On another front...

Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.

Voltaire, Candide

If I remember my history correctly (or not) one of the things Admiral Bynge was accused of was cowardice. And as I recall when the time came to face the firing squad he refused the blindfold and gave the order himself for the squad to fire.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

robert132 wrote:
If I remember my history correctly (or not) one of the things Admiral Bynge was accused of was cowardice. And as I recall when the time came to face the firing squad he refused the blindfold and gave the order himself for the squad to fire.

Correct. He wasn't a physical coward; what basically happened was that he was in the same situation as the fictional Terenkhov, having a somewhat mixed and slightly obsolete squadron to respond to an emergency.

However, unlike Aivars, Byng seems to have set out already half defeated in his own mind. He arrived at Minorca to relieve the garrison, fought an inconclusive battle in which he failed to take his flag captain's advice, wandered around for three days doing nothing much, then sailed back to base without relieving the garrison. Which, unsurprisingly, fell after waiting for a relief that never came.

I'm not really surprised that RFC gave him the 'honour' of having an idiotic Solly Admiral named after him. :!:

The fuss was because, while everyone thought he deserved to be court-martialed and cashiered, nobody in the Navy thought he ought to be shot. The King, however, did. So he was.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:52 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

robert132 wrote:

Bynge was acquitted of the charge of personal cowardice. But the 12th Article of War mandated death for those who did not do their utmost in either offense or defense. And it became a political football between George II and his prime minister, who thought that being the Elector of Hanover was a conflict of interest with his obligations as the King of England, Scotland and Ireland. Among other personal and political issues.
Bynge's family is still trying to have his conviction overturned. To no avail.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
cthia wrote:I keep coming back to this, when remembering Honor's attempt to lead the Havenites into a trap in the aftermath of Hancock Station, I always thought that systems could be seeded with a sea of ambush pods similar to what was setup by Henke's last stand.

Then, upon desperation like what Honor was under at Hancock, they could...

"Helm, Are we close enough to an ambush station?"

Isn't that - in a nutshell - what Mycroft is intended to do?

MYCROFT

Honestly, I wasn't quite sure what Mycroft is. Textev in SoV has enlightened me a bit... just a bit, mind you. It probably has a myriad of undocumented potential uses before Honor analyzes it.

“Yes.” Imbesi nodded vigorously. “I’m not sure I understand Mycroft fully, and I’m damned sure Tomas doesn’t. I’m not positive about Alessandra, but I think it’s probably what tilted her towards the ‘yes’ side of the vote.”

“They want to keep the hardware tightly held, at least for now, and I can certainly understand that,” Roszak said, stirring the wok’s simmering contents. “But they’ve been pretty good about sharing the system’s capabilities, and as I understand them, it should provide pretty good security against another Yawata Strike. Essentially, what they’ve done is to take the networked system-defense platforms and missile pods Foraker came up with for the Havenites, couple them with God’s own holy horde of additional sensor platforms, add FTL transmission to the sensor and fire control net, and replace the regular missile pods with those God-awful FTL-commanded MDMs.” He grimaced. “Believe me—nothing their sensors get a whiff of is going to last long enough to launch any missiles, Walter.”

“It was my impression that their thinking is that the missiles themselves were deployed quite some distance—possibly several light-minutes—from their actual targets and came in unpowered on ballistic profiles,” Imbesi pointed out.

“And that’s undoubtedly what happened.” Roszak nodded and removed the wok from the heat. “I don’t care how good their super-secret drive technology is, they would not have wanted a fleet capable of firing that many missiles swanning around the Manticore Binary System. Way too much chance of something getting picked up, no matter how hard to see their drive is. But one or two small, very stealthy ships with the same sort of drive would be a very different proposition, and they have to’ve gotten some sort of targeting array in-system. Something had to update those birds after that long a ballistic flight. In fact, the Manties detected an encrypted transmission from what was almost certainly exactly that sort of array just before the attack missiles came into attack range. They think—and I agree—that the transmission was most likely from an unmanned platform that self-destructed after serving its purpose, and they’ve nailed down a pretty firm locus for where it was transmitting from. But as I just said—and as Admiral Givens pointed out to me when we discussed this—getting that sort of platform into position required them to penetrate the system in the first place. They may’ve gotten away with it using one or two ships when no one knew to be watching for them; they won’t find it very easy to do a second time.”

He began ladling the pad Thai onto the plates laid out on the bar.

“Something else she pointed out to me was that the Yawata Strike was so overwhelmingly successful only because no one saw it coming. They’ve analyzed the actual number of missiles—including those ‘graser torpedoes,’ or whatever the hell we decide to call them in the end—and the Alliance could have launched several times that many birds from a single squadron of SD(P)s. If the Manties’ defenses had been active, or if they’d even had time to interpose the impeller wedges of their standby freighters to protect the space stations, the way doctrine specified, the damage would’ve been enormously lighter. So their thinking is that with the additional warning their new, denser short-range sensor shell’s likely to provide, and with the higher readiness state they’ve adopted—permanently—for their antimissile defenses, any future attack using the same technique would be relatively ineffectual. And if the bad guys want to come dance with them in an attack that doesn’t incorporate that lengthy ballistic flight, they’ll be just as delighted as hell to set up the dance floor. Trust me, they want these people.”

“And they’re prepared to supply that—all of it, including the sensor shells—to us?” Imbesi asked.

“They are.” Barregos picked up his chopsticks as Roszak set the wok aside and settled back onto his own stool. “They won’t be able to provide it immediately. They’re still in the process of emplacing it in Beowulf. For that matter, they don’t have it fully in place even in Manticore. But Beowulf and Haven are churning out the platforms in enormous numbers. Admiral Givens’ estimate is that they can have their own capital systems outfitted with the all-up Mycroft within the next sixty T-days or so, and Erewhon, Maya, and Torch could be covered in another couple of T-months, given how their production rate’s ramping up. They’ll be able to provide similar protection to all of the other star systems in the Maya Sector within an additional four T-months. And, as she pointed out, it’s highly unlikely the Alignment has a ‘ghost fleet’ strike force already organized to go after you or us. It’ll take time for them to decide we might be worth hitting, and coupled with the relatively lower priority they’d give to hitting us as opposed to the Alliance, the threat to our infrastructure and populations has to be minimal, Walter.”

“I don’t think anyone in Erewhon’s especially happy about even minimal chances of something with the casualty totals the Yawata Strike produced,” Imbesi said somberly. “Despite which, I’ve been authorized to sign on the dotted line if you can convince me the risk is manageable.”

Return to Honorverse