Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by saber964   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:55 pm

saber964
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
cthia wrote:[uote="Weird Harold"]

You're thinking of Bolthole. I'm talking about the planet near Erewhon where Abigail's middie cruise took a violent turn.
saber964 wrote:The planet is Refuge the system is Tibiron

You are right. I confused the two. Thanks for the correction fluid.

On another front...

“From Admiral Sir Lucien Cortez, Fifth Space Lord, Royal Manticoran Navy,” she read, ...

snip

Fail not in this charge at your peril. By order of Admiral Hamish Alexander-Harrington, Earl White Haven and First Lord of Admiralty, Royal Manticoran Navy, for Her Majesty the Empress.”

I always wondered what that meant...

Fail not in this charge at your peril. Really, what does that ominous statement mean? Phuck up and you'll be castrated? Well, Young should have lost his gonads by order of the same archaic paper he read before assuming command of Warlock.

I believe that language comes from the British Royal Navy. Vaguely recall it from Hornblower and Aubrey.

Actually, when a captain screws up or loses a ship and survives, there is a hearing.[/quote]

The U.S. Navy uses a similar type of language. Remember Pavel Young did get nailed to the wall. A Dishonorable Discharge carries some significant penalties just by getting one. Hear is a list of some of the prominent ones.
1) No Veterans benefits of any kind. You can't even acknowledge you are a veteran on a employment application.
2) No federal employment, other government employment very sharply restricted.
3) No Veterans educational benefits
4) No Veterans retirement benefits if you qualified.
5) No burial in a national or veterans cemetery or burial at sea.
Post by kzt   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:The U.S. Navy uses a similar type of language. Remember Pavel Young did get nailed to the wall. A Dishonorable Discharge carries some significant penalties just by getting one. Hear is a list of some of the prominent ones.
1) No Veterans benefits of any kind. You can't even acknowledge you are a veteran on a employment application.

You are a federal felon, so can't vote or own a firearm.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:26 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
saber964 wrote:The U.S. Navy uses a similar type of language. Remember Pavel Young did get nailed to the wall. A Dishonorable Discharge carries some significant penalties just by getting one. Hear is a list of some of the prominent ones.

You are a federal felon, so can't vote or own a firearm.

Keep in mind that this is not the US. And for someone like Pavel Young there would be nothing like this. He comes from an aristocratic wealthy family. He went right into the House of Lords immediately and seemed not to have much in the way of social problems.

Also, in a space navy, in many cases the captain would be dead if the ship was blown. And, of course, you have cases with an admiral surrendering. In theory, every captain will face an inquiry afterwards.
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Reading SoV, I am appalled at the lack of privacy. Certain planets have listening devices everywhere and ban scramblers. So much for privacy. Which brings me to my point. I am surprised at the lackadaisical nature of which RMN officers are allowed to discuss operational matters in a public venue without these scramblers issued as SOP. An enemy could get a lot of info by just frequenting the RMN's popular grease spoons...

SoV Ch. 27 wrote:“I thought you’d like to know,” Helen said. “But he fact that he’s bringing another full squadron of Nikes and at least another squadron of Saganami-Cs with him is even better news from where I sit.”

“Absolutely,” Abigail agreed. “Especially after New Tuscany,” she added, her expression darkening once more.

“By the way, I’ll deny I ever said any of that if it should turn out you’re actually a deep admirer of Pierwszy Sekretarz Krzywicka.”

“And if I recorded it while you were saying it?” Nowak asked, sparring for time while he tried to deal with his astonishment.

“Well, in that case,” Harahap reached into his left hip pocket and slowly and carefully extracted a small device and held it up, “I will be bitterly disappointed in the box of toys my superiors sent me out with.”

“What’s that?” Nowak’s voice was suddenly deeper, sharper, and Harahap shrugged.

“Check your com,” he suggested.

Nowak looked at him suspiciously for a moment, then raised his left arm, shooting his jacket cuff to look at the bracelet on his wrist. He gazed at it for a moment, then his eyes snapped back to Harahap.

“I’m afraid you need a new one,” Harahap said pleasantly. “And this time you might want to invest in one that’s hardened against directional EMP. On the other hand, I think I can be pretty sure any recorders hidden about your person are equally dead. And unless the pulser in your pocket’s military grade—like the one in my pocket—I doubt you’ll be able to shoot me very well. So if it’s all the same to you, I’ll take my hand out if you’ll take your hand out and maybe we can talk like civilized men for a few minutes.” He smiled again, and this time there was genuine warmth in the expression. “I promise not to ask you to make any commitments or even tell me who you are…this time. But judging from your actions, and unless you’re a much better actor than I think you are, if you’ll pardon my frankness, I think you’ll find it worth your time.”

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Either I missed it, or it failed to resonate that Ginger Lewis is NOT a Sag Isle graduate.

Being himself a Sag Isle graduate plus ten years seniority, Lewis' XO finds himself in the same situation and opportunity for resentment as McKeon. Must be hard for certain COs to come in and take over that way.

Yet both are consummate professionals. True RMN officers.

I wonder how much Ginger's reputation hinges on her association with key officers. If you've served under Harrington, you smell like a Salamander.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Either I missed it, or it failed to resonate that Ginger Lewis is NOT a Sag Isle graduate.

Being himself a Sag Isle graduate plus ten years seniority, Lewis' XO finds himself in the same situation and opportunity for resentment as McKeon. Must be hard for certain COs to come in and take over that way.

I wonder how much Ginger's reputation hinges on her association with key officers. If you've served under Harrington, you smell like a Salamander.

She and Wonderboy (Aubrey Wanderman)graduated naval training together although they were in separate tracks. IIRC she was Merchant Marine and enlisted. She took over damage control when The Salamander [once again]ot her ship blowed up around her. Then she got the Princess Cruise aboard Hexapuma.

When you get good at patching the hul after your captain mamages to all-but-destroy a perfectly good ship, even Admiral Cortez takes notice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Theemile   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:Either I missed it, or it failed to resonate that Ginger Lewis is NOT a Sag Isle graduate.

She and Wonderboy (Aubrey Wanderman)graduated naval training together although they were in separate tracks. IIRC she was Merchant Marine and enlisted. She took over damage control when The Salamander [once again]ot her ship blowed up around her. Then she got the Princess Cruise aboard Hexapuma.

When you get good at patching the hul after your captain mamages to all-but-destroy a perfectly good ship, even Admiral Cortez takes notice.

Ginger was never in the Merchant marine, she was only a couple years older than Wanderman. It was another gentleman Honor promoted to Chief along with Ginger who had years of Merchant Marine experience.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by pappilon   » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote: Ginger was never in the Merchant marine, she was only a couple years older than Wanderman. It was another gentleman Honor promoted to Chief along with Ginger who had years of Merchant Marine experience.

Must be my "oldtimers disease" kicking in. Aphasia too. Thanks for the correction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:...Then she got the Princess Cruise aboard Hexapuma. ...

You missed a step: Ginger went "Mustang" and received an OCS commission before her tour on Hexapuma.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Bluesqueak   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
pappilon wrote:...Then she got the Princess Cruise aboard Hexapuma. ...

You missed a step: Ginger went "Mustang" and received an OCS commission before her tour on Hexapuma.

I suspect 'recommended for OCS by the Salamander' beats 'Saganami Island graduate'. :)

Return to Honorverse