Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

She knows enough! Hell, she knows there's a secret cabal. If you seriously think that Audrey O'Hanrahan wouldn't trip Clean Killer's mouse trap...

Stop! Put down Stilthy weed. She's too big a-hunk-o-cheese...

My money would be on O'Hanrahan getting her wig unceremoniously split.

Clean Killer isn't looking for specifics. Clean Killer is looking for complicity.

Clean Killer isn't looking to interrogate anyone.

Clean Killer is looking to provide a live demonstration of the definition of a treecat's enemy.

<You didn't quite understand the definition of trecat enemies> Clean Killer signs to Harahap. <Clearer, they are either alive or O'Hanrahan>

<Best way to get them to spill their guts is to open them up>

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:She knows enough! Hell, she knows there's a secret cabal. If you seriously think that Audrey O'Hanrahan wouldn't trip Clean Killer's mouse trap...

Clean Killer isn't looking for specifics. Clean Killer is looking for complicity.

Clean Killer is looking to provide a live demonstration of the definition of a treecat's enemy.

<You didn't quite understand the definition of trecat enemies> Clean Killer signs to Harahap. <Clearer, they are either alive or O'Hanrahan>

Harahap knows there's a cabal. But O'Hanrahan undoubtedly knows a real lot more. Certainly about key people.
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
cthia wrote:She knows enough! Hell, she knows there's a secret cabal. If you seriously think that Audrey O'Hanrahan wouldn't trip Clean Killer's mouse trap...

Harahap knows there's a cabal. But O'Hanrahan undoubtedly knows a real lot more. Certainly about key people.

Undoubtedly.

You're injecting too many variables into the equation.

Let's not get it twisted. It isn't the point that Harahap knows, as far as Clean Killer would be concerned.

It is the fact that O'Hanrahan knows, which would be fatal enough for her to trip the mouse trap fantastic. Any treecat would eat her alive, being incessantly bombarded with the rage of the memory song.

<If a picture is worth a thousand words, the Yawata song is worth a thousand cuts>

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

O'Hanrahan is not a telepath. Try to sing at her would not effect her.

Unless she IS a telepath, but even the strongest human psychics we've seen haven't been able to hear a memory song without a) a memory singer and b) a bunch of Treecats on the assist.

Even if she was as powerful as a Treecat she couldn't get the full picture unless it was from a memory singer so an attack like that would do little more than anger her at the half-assed mind control attempt and tip her off (and by extension Darius) to her true potential.

Unless you meant the Treecat would be driven in a rage to attack her, which seems unlikely. Firebrand knew far more, and was deeper inside the Onion than O'hanrahan. She probably doesn't even know that the Yawata strike was from the Malign. Furthermore, a Treecat isn't a mind reader. Said Treecat would not know of her involvement.

Even if the Treecat attacked the best possible outcome is Manticore murders a reporter who was investigating their complicity in the attacks on Mesa. Congragulations! For all intents and purposes Manticore has confessed to everything. Very few people will mourn them when Darius's stealth ships burn their worlds.

What I suspect is far more likely, is that O'hanrahan explains her findings and a little bit about human society to the misinformed Treecats. Notably she can explain about the (potential) Manticorian involvement in terrorist attacks, the proper response to terrorist attacks. In particular she can explain how the Yawata strikes mirror Manticore's attack on Monica. She can explain that the strikes were clearly targeted at military targets only; had they been aimed at planets the devastation would have been vastly greater. Finally, she can explain the human capacity for self-deception and how humans can trick themselves when it is convenient for them. They alter their memories to make things more favorable to themselves. She can end it by asking why haven't they already been told these truths?
Post by n7axw   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

The point of my post is that she doesn't know detail. She was recruited early and shipped off to the Solarian League. I suspect she was educated there. She won't know about the onion or the Detweilers although she probably is aware of a cabal without having detail about it. It's called need to know and Aubrey doesn't to do her job. Her handler has probably been her only contact for many years.

Would a cat sense her loyalties? Maybe. But I suspect that her mindset would be that of an investigative reporter rather that a member of the Alignment. That is what the cats would pick up on first. And would be the truth, just not the whole story.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:The point of my post is that she doesn't know detail. She was recruited early and shipped off to the Solarian League. I suspect she was educated there. She won't know about the onion or the Detweilers although she probably is aware of a cabal without having detail about it. It's called need to know and Aubrey doesn't to do her job. Her handler has probably been her only contact for many years.

Would a cat sense her loyalties? Maybe. But I suspect that her mindset would be that of an investigative reporter rather that a member of the Alignment. That is what the cats would pick up on first. And would be the truth, just not the whole story.

Don

-

The 'cat would sense it if she gave the wrong answers to certain questions, though. "Do you know anyone who is a member of the Mesan Alignment?" "Have you ever been recruited to the Mesan Alignment?" "Have you ever reported anything that you knew, at the time, to be false?" "Are you working for anyone outside the Solarian League?"

It doesn't even need to be a formal interview. A meet and greet for the press, where certain topics of conversation are brought up.

My impression was that she was from a multi-generation family of sleepers, btw, not a recent immigrant to Sol.
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:The point of my post is that she doesn't know detail. She was recruited early and shipped off to the Solarian League. I suspect she was educated there. She won't know about the onion or the Detweilers although she probably is aware of a cabal without having detail about it. It's called need to know and Aubrey doesn't to do her job. Her handler has probably been her only contact for many years.

Don

-

You are still missing my point.

I really do not think that Clean Killer is even remotely interested in any kind of d e t a i l.

Go back and reread that video snippet again.

First off, the memory of the Yawata strike comes in the form of a song to the treecats. It is such a powerful memory song that it evokes a very devastating, heart wrenching, emotional memory. It is so debilitating to the cats that the memory singers had to sugar coat it plus isolate it from the baby kittens. Clean Killer mentions that he doesn't need the constant ditty, that most treecats can't get out of their heads, because he carries his with him just under his skin.

Really, reread that snippet again. Clean Killer is musing about exactly what he is going to do as soon as he comes within radar range of a suspect...

Clean Killer UH wrote:No, he volunteered because he hoped that some day, some way, he could come within claws reach of at least one of the evil-doers responsible for such slaughters, so many deaths. And on the day that he did...

Clean Killer is musing about exactly what he is going to do. It is clear. I imagine, as a reader, that he's thinking...

<If your intentions are to protect the evil two-legs before Clean Killer kills them, then you better catch me in the air while I'm somersaulting, because after I land there's only going to be swift retribution. The END>

Everyone seems to be caught up in the notion that Clean Killer will be caught up in HOW MUCH O'Hanrahan knows. At this point, Clean Killer is only concerned THAT O'Hanrahan knows.

O'Hanrahan's mindglow better not spike the built-in treecat lie-detector one bit!

Just the sight of a treecat may get her killed!

Post by n7axw   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:49 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Don

-

You are still missing my point.

I really do not think that Clean Killer is even remotely interested in any kind of d e t a i l.

Go back and reread that video snippet again.

First off, the memory of the Yawata strike comes in the form of a song to the treecats. It is such a powerful memory song that it evokes a very devastating, heart wrenching, emotional memory. It is so debilitating to the cats that the memory singers had to sugar coat it plus isolate it from the baby kittens. Clean Killer mentions that he doesn't need the constant ditty, that most treecats can't get out of their heads, because he carries his with him just under his skin.

Really, reread that snippet again. Clean Killer is musing about exactly what he is going to do as soon as he comes within radar range of a suspect...

Clean Killer UH wrote:No, he volunteered because he hoped that some day, some way, he could come within claws reach of at least one of the evil-doers responsible for such slaughters, so many deaths. And on the day that he did...

Clean Killer is musing about exactly what he is going to do. It is clear. I imagine, as a reader, that he's thinking...

<If your intentions are to protect the evil two-legs before Clean Killer kills them, then you better catch me in the air while I'm somersaulting, because after I land there's only going to be swift retribution. The END>

Everyone seems to be caught up in the notion that Clean Killer will be caught up in HOW MUCH O'Hanrahan knows. At this point, Clean Killer is only concerned THAT O'Hanrahan knows.

O'Hanrahan's mindglow better not spike the built-in treecat lie-detector one bit!

Just the sight of a treecat may get her killed!

Why would anyone ask Audrey the questions that would create that sort of spike? All Henke would know was that Audrey was a reporter... The treecat would be able to catch lies or evil intent. If both those things are absent, then what? O'Hanrahan doesn't have to lie. She is not under suspicion. As for evil intent, if a treecat finds no malice, there is probably nothing to detect. To boot, she has a long established record for hard nosed integrity.

As for Clean Killer, it will be as interesting to see how he develops under the influence of the bond as it will Harahap. Hopefully they will both find healing.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:06 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:The 'cat would sense it if she gave the wrong answers to certain questions, though. "Do you know anyone who is a member of the Mesan Alignment?" "Have you ever been recruited to the Mesan Alignment?" "Have you ever reported anything that you knew, at the time, to be false?" "Are you working for anyone outside the Solarian League?"

It doesn't even need to be a formal interview. A meet and greet for the press, where certain topics of conversation are brought up.

My impression was that she was from a multi-generation family of sleepers, btw, not a recent immigrant to Sol.

What they do is get angry and refuse to answer the question.

Or counter with I'm sure I have, if they exist. As undoubtedly you have. But speaking of mass murdering criminals, I can tell you where a man who murdered 8000 people, mostly children, is. He's on Mesa right now, so there is no excuse for your not arresting him. That is, unless you and your government employ people who murder on children.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Assuming that O'Hanrahan goes get an interview with Mike (and there would be a treecat present- at this point it is the one bonded to the Marine Srgt) I have to ask:

What possible background detail like WHY the Yawata Strike happened and who did it?
If she KNOWS- rather than some line like " Manticore claims that some previouisly unknown galaxy wide conspiracy perpetrated the strike" then there is a serious problem there for Hanrahan. Try getting out of that room....I doubt Mike is going to do a LIVE INTERVIEW.

How could she "know" who the persons would have done the Yawata Strike are- unless she is somehow either party to it or has critical information that should realisticly be shared with every known star system to guard against this happening again?

Return to Honorverse