Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Peter2 and 19 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I always thought there was a protocol missing from the duel.

The Russian protocol. One in the chamber, spin then shoot. Spin then shoot. Spin then shoot.

Can anyone remember the protocol that Young was under? It only had one round in the chamber.

Found it. It was the Dreyfus Protocol after all.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:38 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Honor's Achilles heel is Nimitz. Since the GA already knows about the MAlign, they should go ahead and unleash the full force of their nanite assassins.

On Earth of the present there are no shortage of terrorists willing to die for the cause with massive amounts of explosives strapped to their bodies. MAlign assassins weak point, IMO, seem to be their tactics. The subject under compulsion is surely going to die anyways. Why not strap him with the Honorverse's equivalent of C-4 implanted inside of his body just under the skin to minimalise the body's dampening effect, set to explode in close proximity to Nimitz or Honor? And surely the explosive yield has been greatly increased in the Honorverse. C-8. LOL

Or some other Honorverse highly explosive tech implanted inside the body.

They could be implanted inside of a pair of incredibly sized DD's as what happened in an episode of 1000 Ways to Die.

It would certainly give a new meaning to a pair of destroyers.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I didn't know there were 5 actual places on earth named Hell.

In Norway this is located, on the road to Hell. Notice how the road curves away from the church and that there is one last opportunity to pull over, stop and think about this visit?

How exactly does that conversation go when dating or meeting the folks?

"Where you from?"

"Hell."

"Where were you born?"

"Hell."

"Where did you grow up?"

"Hell."

"Where are your parents from?"

"Hell."

Can you imagine the name of some church called Hell Baptist Church? God would certainly be proud of that one. We know they teach fire and brimstone there!

The town would have a Hell High School. A Hell Junior High. A Hell Middle School.

And certainly a Hell Kindergarten. Gotta teach them little devils how to behave.

And in downtown Hell, Main Street is something busy. LOL

The High School football team is known as the Devils. The mascot is some dude in a red outfit with horns. The cheering squad are a bunch of "fallen" cheerleaders with a pic of a pitchfork on their spanks. The drill team twirls pitchforks for batons.

An all around nice town.

Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In Camp Charon, residents were forced to make their own hand-weapons from white, milky-looking stone to fend off local wildlife. Teams performing tasks outside the fence were frequently guarded by a group of spearmen, and most residents carried knives. —Wiki

There is no mention of specific wildlife.
Certainly there has to be a hell hound.

Post by saber964   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:22 pm

saber964
Admiral

Y'all forgot Hell's Canyon Idaho.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:Y'all forgot Hell's Canyon Idaho.

I sure did.

Get a load of this. I have a couple of friends that are pretty much still newlyweds in Romania. As a wedding gift they wanted all of the Star Trek series on DVD, after I gave them a trip to one of the conventions a few years back. Anyhow, they sent me an email asking me whether I realized that the Honorverse's Final Wars pretty much mimics Star Trek's Eugenics Wars. It somehow escaped me. This is how Kirk's arch nemesis Khan was produced.

The Eugenics Wars (or the Great Wars) were a series of conflicts fought on Earth between 1992 and 1996. The result of a scientific attempt to improve the Human race through selective breeding and genetic engineering, the wars devastated parts of Earth, by some estimates officially causing some thirty million deaths, and nearly plunging the planet into a new Dark Age. (TOS: "Space Seed"; ENT: "Borderland")
The script of "Borderland" stated forthrightly, "The Eugenics Wars are a dark subject."

Contents

Prelude

Records from this period are fragmented, but what is known is that the wars' roots lie in a group of Human scientists' ambitious attempt to improve the race through selective breeding and genetic engineering. They created a race of "supermen," popularly known as the Augments, who were mentally and physically superior to ordinary men and women. They were five times stronger than the average person, their lung efficiency was fifty percent better than normal, and their intelligence was double that of normal Humans. They also had enhanced senses, including an ability to hear beyond that of Human capabilities.

The Augments were created by the scientists in the 1950s cold war era in the hopes that they would lead Humanity into an era of peace in a world that had only known war. (Star Trek Into Darkness) One aspect these scientists overlooked was the personality of the Augments. Along with their superior abilities, the Augments were aggressive and arrogant, flaws which the scientists were unable to correct at the time due to the infancy of the science. One of the Augments' creators realized this, writing that "superior ability breeds superior ambition." That same scientist was ultimately killed by one of his own creations...

Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What about this?

I never thought to put the shoe on the other foot. Should — and would — Beowulf also deny the RMN transit through their termini into League space, in the event they do decide — or are forced — to attack the League?

Ch. 35 A Rising Thunder wrote:“I’ve been hearing from a lot of people who aren’t any too happy about the invasion highway Beowulf offers if the Manties decide to come after us right here. For that matter, I’m not too crazy about it either!”

“The worst thing the Manties could possibly do—from their perspective, not ours—is to attack the Sol System.” Kolokoltsov barked a laugh. “In fact, I wish they would! It’s the one thing I can think of practically guaranteed to get all the Core Worlds lined up to back us!”

“You really think so?” Agatá Wodoslawski sounded doubtful. “I mean, if they—and the Havenites, too; let’s not forget them—were to take out Old Terra, you don’t think that would terrify the rest of the League into throwing in the towel?”

“Only in the shortest possible term,” Kolokoltsov said positively. “Personally, I think it would convince most of the other Core Worlds that the Manties and their friends are just as expansionist and arrogant as we’ve been telling them they were all along. It would sure as hell knock any notion of distant, plucky little neobarbs defending themselves against Solarian aggression on the head and turn them into cynical imperialists striking at the very heart of the greatest star nation in human history! The most likely thing for the rest of the Core Worlds to do in that case would be to sue for a cease-fire just long enough to figure out how to build matching missiles of their own, then hammer this ‘Grand Alliance’ flat, and the Manties have to know it.”

He shook his head and looked straight at MacArtney even as he spoke to Wodoslawski. “I don’t see the Manties wanting to pump that kind of hydrogen into the fire, Agatá. Not unless we drive them to it. For that matter , I don’t see Beowulf wanting to piss off so many of its neighbors by allowing that sort of attack. Whatever happens to the League, eventually Beowulf’s going to have to live with the star systems around it again. If the Beowulfers stick that kind of knife into the League’s back, most of those star systems are going to be gunning for them once the smoke clears and the tech imbalance has leveled out again.”

“Assuming the damned Beowulfers are smart enough to figure that out,” MacArtney grumbled.

“I think they are,” Kolokoltsov said with just a bit more confidence than he actually felt. “Maybe so,” Wodoslawski said, “but there are other factors to consider . Like what’s going to happen if someone else decides to follow Beowulf’s example on this one. It could turn out Beowulf’s only the first drop of rain, and if that happens, we may find out just
how badly screwed we really are.”

Kolokoltsov grimaced and decided—again—not to mention his agents’ reports about Beowulf’s neighbors. There’d be time for that once he’d been able to confirm the accuracy of those reports. But the permanent senior undersecretary of the treasury had a point, and he nodded as he was forced to concede it.

Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I never thought to put the shoe on the other foot. Should — and would — Beowulf also deny the RMN transit through their termini into League space, in the event they do decide — or are forced — to attack the League?

Depends. Before or after they secede?

Before secession, they do have a responsibility to oppose invasion of the Solarian League by a hostile power, no matter who it might be. Given the close cooperation and friendship between Beowulf and the SKM, the question is unlikely to arise without at least consideration of secession arising first.

After secession, they are more likely to aid invasion than hinder it. They would have no legal reason to protect the Solarian League after they secede.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:21 am

munroburton
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:I never thought to put the shoe on the other foot. Should — and would — Beowulf also deny the RMN transit through their termini into League space, in the event they do decide — or are forced — to attack the League?

Before secession, they do have a responsibility to oppose invasion of the Solarian League by a hostile power, no matter who it might be. Given the close cooperation and friendship between Beowulf and the SKM, the question is unlikely to arise without at least consideration of secession arising first.

After secession, they are more likely to aid invasion than hinder it. They would have no legal reason to protect the Solarian League after they secede.

It's a bit late for that. They already let 60 RMN SD(P)s transit before Filareta arrived. After scaring Tsang away, another 100-150 went through to make it ~200 SD(P)s total parked at Beowulf's terminus.

Beowulf can't stop them now. But the GA are nice guys. They're waiting for Beowulf's secession to finish before using Beowulf as an avenue of attack.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

munroburton wrote:It's a bit late for that. They already let 60 RMN SD(P)s transit before Filareta arrived. After scaring Tsang away, another 100-150 went through to make it ~200 SD(P)s total parked at Beowulf's terminus.

Beowulf can't stop them now. But the GA are nice guys. They're waiting for Beowulf's secession to finish before using Beowulf as an avenue of attack.

"Warning! Beware Can-O-Worms! If opened, Weasel pops out!"

Return to Honorverse