Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 118 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Are there any profoundly historical Havenite characters along the lines of Edward Saganami or the many in the Winton family, etc. :?:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:08 am

The E
Admiral

Certainly. We won't know their names until we get to House of Lies though.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:14 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

The one that comes to mind is Pericard(sp) the first President of the Republic
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by saber964   » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:42 pm

saber964
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:The one that comes to mind is Pericard(sp) the first President of the Republic

The spelling is Picard and is probably named in honor of the Piccard family. Which over the last century has set several world records.

Auguste Piccard set world altitude record in a balloon in 1938.
Jacques Piccard set world depth record (Challenger Deep) in 1961.
Bertrand Piccard first to circle globe in a balloon.

They are father, son and grandson.
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:The one that comes to mind is Pericard(sp) the first President of the Republic

The spelling is Picard and is probably named in honor of the Piccard family. Which over the last century has set several world records.

Thanks, I never would have come up with him unassisted.

Not sure he qualifies, but I could only think of DuQuesne.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Vince   » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:34 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

saber964 wrote:The spelling is Picard and is probably named in honor of the Piccard family. Which over the last century has set several world records.

cthia wrote:Thanks, I never would have come up with him unassisted.

Not sure he qualifies, but I could only think of DuQuesne.

Although it might be derived from the family, the name is spelled:
Mission of Honor, Chapter 6 wrote:Eloise Pritchart stood on the shuttle landing pad on the roof of what had once again become Péricard Tower following Thomas Theisman’s restoration of the Republic.
The massive, hundred and fifty year-old tower had borne several other names during People’s Republic of Haven’s lifetime, including The People’s Tower. Or, for that matter, the bitterly ironic one of “The Tower of Justice” . . . ​when it had housed the savagely repressive State Security which had supported the rule of Rob Pierre and Oscar Saint-Just. No one truly knew how many people had vanished forever into StateSec’s basement interrogation rooms and holding cells. There’d been more than enough, however, and the grisly charges of torture and secret executions which the prosecutors had actually been able to prove had been sufficient to win a hundred and thirty-seven death sentences.
A hundred and thirty-seven death sentences Eloise Pritchart had personally signed, one by one, without a single regret.
Pierre himself had preferred other quarters and moved his personal living space to an entirely different location shortly after the Leveller Uprising. And, given the tower’s past associations, a large part of Eloise Pritchart had found herself in rare agreement with the “Citizen Chairman.” Yet in the end, and despite some fairly acute personal reservations—not to mention anxiety over possible public misperceptions—she’d decided to return the presidential residence to its traditional pre-Legislaturalist home on the upper floors of Péricard Tower.
Some of her advisers had urged against it, but she’d trusted her instincts more than their timidity. And, by and large, the citizens of the restored Republic had read her message correctly and remembered that Péricard Tower had been named for Michèle Péricard, the first President of the Republic of Haven. The woman whose personal vision and drive had led directly to the founding of the Republic. The woman whose guiding hand had written the constitution Eloise Pritchart, Thomas Theisman, and their allies had dedicated their lives to restoring.
Italics are the author's, boldface and underlined text is my emphasis.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Is there anyone else besides myself, who is reminded and is awed by the parallel of the Free Masons or Freemasons, a secret and powerful sect with amazing purported abilities; a wealthy sect, whose machinations are carried out under a veil of secrecy?

Wouldn't art imitate art if RFC should allow the GA to discover some secret age-old-mesan symbol.

Wait! These Mesans also want to be free. Free to play outside in the jeans of genetics. That would make them Free Mesans as well?

Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Who is more in the hot seat or spend more time in the pressure cooker for carrying the weight of the Star Empire on their shoulders? I honestly can't settle on "who" might actually "feel" it the most? *As in, who would more accurately raise the treecats 'empathic thermometer' the most and the more?

Elizabeth?

Thomas Caparelli?

Honor?

An aside:
Can the treecat's empathic sense be more precisely compared to a geiger counter, a thermometer, an electrometer, a galvanometer or some other instrument 'who' hasn't tripped my gedanken lightbulb?

Post by darrell   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:05 am

darrell
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:An aside:
Can the treecat's empathic sense be more precisely compared to a geiger counter, a thermometer, an electrometer, a galvanometer or some other instrument 'who' hasn't tripped my gedanken lightbulb?

Although not quite accurate, I would guess that a cat's emphatic since can be best compared to that of an EEG (Electroencephalograph)

An EEG of someone that is happy is different from someone that is afraid or sad or angry.

They just have lots of experience "reading" the "brainwaves" of treecats, other animals, and two legs so that they know that a two legs EEG looks like this if they are angry, sad, lying, etc.
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Logic: an organized way to go wrong, with confidence.
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

darrell wrote:
cthia wrote:An aside:

Although not quite accurate, I would guess that a cat's emphatic since can be best compared to that of an EEG (Electroencephalograph)

An EEG of someone that is happy is different from someone that is afraid or sad or angry.

They just have lots of experience "reading" the "brainwaves" of treecats, other animals, and two legs so that they know that a two legs EEG looks like this if they are angry, sad, lying, etc.

Yes, an EEG. Two heads are better than one. Thanks.

Return to Honorverse