Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by roseandheather   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:38 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
King James
Mark 10:9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

This could be taken to mean that nuclear fission is against the dictates of christianity...
After all, it relies on splitting the atom...

Oh, for...

That is not how the Bible works. :roll:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:
King James
Mark 10:9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

This could be taken to mean that nuclear fission is against the dictates of christianity...
After all, it relies on splitting the atom...

:lol:
I suppose so if taken out of context. But that chapter in the Bible is quite clear.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Forgive me of my Barbara Bancroft kick. But the woman is rather fascinating.

Barbara Bancroft was revered as a heroine of Grayson, being called the Mother of Grayson, while she was called the Harlot of Satan by the Faithful. They made Bancroft the living example of their Doctrine of the Second Fall. Some on Grayson even compared her to the Lady of the Lake, a mythological figure. (HH2)

I always thought the Lady of the Lake was just myth as well, with no chance of truth. Then I stumble upon this. The old adage, there's always a little truth in legend?...
Claimed locations of the Lake: Wikipedia
A number of locations in Great Britain are traditionally associated with the Lady of the Lake's abode. They include Dozmary Pool, Llyn Llydaw, Llyn Ogwen, The Loe, Pomparles Bridge, Loch Arthur, and Aleines. In France, she is associated with the forest of Brocéliande.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:But he didn't die. Not that I'm aware of. Therefore she wasn't a widow. Hence my concern. But crewdude supplied the missing link to my understanding...

There is no mention of him or his descendants in any of the books. No mention of his death, true, but other than a LAC named for him, no mention at all, which is contrary to expectations for a prominent leader of the Faithful.

I can't say whether he died or not, but there's no trace of him in the books after Barbara's defection.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:But he didn't die. Not that I'm aware of. Therefore she wasn't a widow. Hence my concern. But crewdude supplied the missing link to my understanding...

There is no mention of him or his descendants in any of the books. No mention of his death, true, but other than a LAC named for him, no mention at all, which is contrary to expectations for a prominent leader of the Faithful.

I can't say whether he died or not, but there's no trace of him in the books after Barbara's defection.

I can't confirm or deny that, so I'll take your word for it. If so, it is quite surprising since I get the feeling that he was the most ... Gung-ho of the Masadans.
Also taken from Wiki:
Lord Jeremiah Bancroft, Steadholder Bancroft, was a Grayson steadholder and a leader of the Faithful during the Civil War.
He was known as the most zealous member of the Faithful. When he and his followers made plans to use a "doomsday weapon" on the Moderates, his wife Barbara defected to the other side and informed them of the plans. The Faithful were eventually defeated and exiled to the planet Masada. Bancroft Steading was disestablished by Benjamin the Great. (HH2)

Post by Weird Harold   » Sun May 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I can't confirm or deny that, so I'll take your word for it. If so, it is quite surprising since I get the feeling that he was the most ... Gung-ho of the Masadans.

He was indeed the leading fanatic of the Faithful. That's why I would expect to see his descendents figuring prominently in Masadan Hierarchy -- he doesn't.

Given the Faithful's reaction to failure, it wouldn't surprise me to find that he was executed by them because of his failure to "control his wife." Yet they did name a LAC for him; but then again it was only a LAC. :)

He was a leading figure in the Civil War but he seems to have been marginalized and/or forgotten by Masada. That to me strongly suggests he died in disgrace before arriving at Masada.

Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 6:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:I can't confirm or deny that, so I'll take your word for it. If so, it is quite surprising since I get the feeling that he was the most ... Gung-ho of the Masadans.

He was indeed the leading fanatic of the Faithful. That's why I would expect to see his descendents figuring prominently in Masadan Hierarchy -- he doesn't.

Given the Faithful's reaction to failure, it wouldn't surprise me to find that he was executed by them because of his failure to "control his wife." Yet they did name a LAC for him; but then again it was only a LAC. :)

He was a leading figure in the Civil War but he seems to have been marginalized and/or forgotten by Masada. That to me strongly suggests he died in disgrace before arriving at Masada.

Never thought of that. Good intuition Harold. Since you got me thinking along those lines, perhaps he drank himself to death. He must have felt himself the biggest failure in the eyes of Tester. Biggest zealot. Biggest failure.

Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 6:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This technology is the cat's meow, and I hope we find it in HotQ...
While Dempsey's were located throughout the Star Kingdom, its most notable feature was the fact that locations aboard space stations used actual recorded footage or near realtime images made near its ground-based restaurants, and other visual and audible cues, to make the restaurants appear to be actually based ground-side. 'Window' views changed in synchrony with those from ground-based Dempsey restaurants. Environmental systems could match local weather (even to the point of frosting windows when the view was of Gryphon during some of its interesting weather, and providing a roaring holographic fireplace to compensate), and even some recognizable smells were reproduced as well.

Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 6:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

wiki wrote:
Samson's Bane was a code-name of a sub-sect of the Sisterhood, women who had demonstrated a willingness to offer violence to men if the need arose. When the Exodus came, they were given priority for weapons and vac-suits. (HHA4.1: PL)
History
Origins
The name of the group was a reference to Barbara Bancroft, whom Masadan men had nicknamed the "Harlot of Satan", for having helped foil the Faithful's doomsday plot during the Grayson Civil War. (HHA4.1: PL)

I don't get it. How is 'Samson's Bane' a reference to Barbara Bancroft? Am I missing something or misreading it?

Does anyone know what happened to Judith, who was returned to Grayson because of the Sisterhood and their escape?

Post by Weird Harold   » Sun May 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Judith, who was returned to Grayson because of the Sisterhood and their escape?

She married Prince Micheal and her daughter Ruth is Torch's Head Geek

Return to Honorverse