Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 49 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:56 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:And about those other half dozen female adoptions, how did they go?

There's no textev except the comment that most female 'cat adoptions were Sphinx Forestry Service personnel and consequently didn't leave Sphinx.

The point here is that there are very few female 'cats bonding, so the majority of bonds are with male cats.

Genghis, Monroe, and the 'cat Michelle Henke works with are all males bonded to males, and I'd expect that to be the norm, or at best a 50-50 mix.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by lyonheart   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:55 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Weird Harold, Cthia;

Given the strategy of Manticore to use technology to appeal to Masada's younger generations, being able to almost eliminate the death of boy babies in such a traditionally patriarchal society would have been extremely popular [even with the older men I suspect], while withholding it would have been much worse, rubbing the nose of the Masadan's in their second rate status; just about the last thing Manticore would want to do.

Apparently there was quite a blow-back from the assassination attempt, so a retrenchment in what Masadans can do in space was probably enforced and future expansion plans drastically restricted, while those who permitted them such an opportunity have been smacked career wise.

I suspect treecat lie detectors are being used to identify more faithful sympathizers, at the request of both Manticore and Grayson, if not personal appeals by Ariel, Munro, Nimitz and Benjamin's cat guard.

L

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:We weren't aware it had been shared. Thanks for the update Harold. Can you recall the book?

There's no textev that it has been shared, just my thought that it would have been shared/published.

cthia wrote:And the concern was not for any direct moral objections of Allison, but a concern that Grayson proper wouldn't want Allison to help their mortal enemies.

The Masadan Occupation Force as describe in AoV Chapter Forty-four is conducting a "hearts and minds" campaign and providing modern medical care to those who wish to take advantage; they're winning over a significant portion of Masadans. I see no reason why the information about the gene-modification and its side-effect should be with-held from Masadans. I don't think most Graysons would object to "humanitarian aid" in any case.

cthia wrote:Edit:
Remember HotQ? Houseman suggested Grayson trade with Masada. That suggestion was hillarious to Honor, Couvosier and all of the Graysons. Actually, it was offensive to the Graysons of any suggestions to assist their mortal enemies.

Yet the assassination of Duke Cromarty and Chanceler Prestwick was made possible by just such economic trade. The ship that fired the RD/missiles was built in Endicott, Transported to Yeltsin in pieces and assembled for use as a sub-light ore carrier for Grayson's asteroid mining. It was owned and crewed by Masadans.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

IANS Hellbarde was a heavy cruiser of the Imperial Andermani Navy.
Around 1919 PD, the ship was commanded by Kapitän der Sterne Guangfu Gortz. She shadowed the Manticoran heavy cruiser HMS Jessica Epps, conducting a number of subtle provocations against it.

When Jessica Epps ordered a ship falsely transmitting an Andermani transponder code to stop, Hellbarde opened fire. In the following engagement, Hellbarde was pounded into a wreck, while Jessica Epps was destroyed with all hands. (HH10)

Hellbarde had a hard-on for Jessica no doubt. Could that have been the work of the MAlign? Could the MAlign have engineered a war between the then RMN and the Andermani? There'd be one hell of an alternate Honorverse if so. Too late now I think, but what if?

If the wrong officer would have been in Harrington's place, things may not have turned out so well. It was both Honor's level headedness and the respect most navies have for her that made lemonade out of lemons during that incident.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
Hellbarde had a hard-on for Jessica no doubt. Could that have been the work of the MAlign? Could the MAlign have engineered a war between the then RMN and the Andermani? There'd be one hell of an alternate Honorverse if so. Too late now I think, but what if?

If the wrong officer would have been in Harrington's place, things may not have turned out so well. It was both Honor's level headedness and the respect most navies have for her that made lemonade out of lemons during that incident.

If they wanted to do that, they failed. I think it was pure provocation by an "Andi" captain who just didn't like the "Mantis." You get a bit more about the Andermani position from Backfish *spelling?* and his insights given to Honor.

The Andermani already told Honor earlier that they would give Manticore a pass on armed merchants passing through without proper warning, on the fact that when the time came *the war was over* that the "Andis" would be given a free hand in their frontier, the confederacy.
"Battle Cruisers lead the way!"
Post by kzt   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:19 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

There was a detailed discussion of the issues by the AIN senior officer who verbally ripped up the regional flag officer for being an arrogant moron. He was not a happy camper.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
There was a detailed discussion of the issues by the AIN senior officer who verbally ripped up the regional flag officer for being an arrogant moron. He was not a happy camper.

Yes, I remember that tongue-lashing. It was the innate hatred that the AIN had for all that was RMN that I thought would allow for likewise manipulation similar to the SLN hatred for the RMN that so easily allowed the same.

As easy as pushing baby chicks into a stream of near pike?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

wiki wrote:
hexapuma—a six-limbed Sphinxian predator. Hexapumas are very quick for something their size and extremely territorial. There are several subspecies of hexapuma, which vary in coloration depending on the season and the climatic zone in which they are found. The largest species are located in Sphinx’s temperate zones, and adults of those species can be as much as five meters (16.4 feet) long with tails 250 centimeters (8.2 feet) long and weigh as much as 800 kilograms (1,763 pounds), more than most terrestrial horses. The treecat name is death fang.

As big as a horse, with the agility approaching a cat? Gees! I can't imagine the ingredients of the food chain on Sphinx. Little Honor went out into the Sphinx bush with terrors like that? My parents would have torn me a new ass...another new ass. After they got over a light stroke.

Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

SO, about as dangerous as parts of australia then...... :D

At least the weather on sphinx is nicer though.... XD

cthia wrote:
wiki wrote:
hexapuma—a six-limbed Sphinxian predator. Hexapumas are very quick for something their size and extremely territorial. There are several subspecies of hexapuma, which vary in coloration depending on the season and the climatic zone in which they are found. The largest species are located in Sphinx’s temperate zones, and adults of those species can be as much as five meters (16.4 feet) long with tails 250 centimeters (8.2 feet) long and weigh as much as 800 kilograms (1,763 pounds), more than most terrestrial horses. The treecat name is death fang.

As big as a horse, with the agility approaching a cat? Gees! I can't imagine the ingredients of the food chain on Sphinx. Little Honor went out into the Sphinx bush with terrors like that? My parents would have torn me a new ass...another new ass. After they got over a light stroke.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:45 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

I am fairly positive that that is 6 adoptions by female treecats with RMN personal. Male treecats do have a far higher adoption rate then female treecats, the whole scout thing. But I believe it was implied that female treecat bonds did happen, just not often and they almost never leave Sphinx.

Now MEMORY Singers who are bondmates, the list is to our knowledge Samantha, and its implied she is pretty darn unique.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

All of this talk of Economics and Houseman, can anyone remember how Willard Neufsteiler came to be Honor's financial advisor? Somehow, I think he was recommended by the Hauptmans. Am I correct? Who is the man in the hotseat for the Hauptmans, or does Willard handle both?

Who handles the financial affairs of the Queen? Her personal holdings?

Return to Honorverse