Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 100 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Is there a reason systems cannot be seeded with Forts, instead of Forts pretty much only being used exclusively for defending junctions? With the advent of Apollo and its long-legged missiles, it seems to me the time has come, actually making this feasible?

Forts are big, expensive, immobile structures. Fine for defending a relatively fix point in space, like WHJ or Terminus, or a gravity anchor, like a planet.

They're not really practical for defending a whole system.

Mycroft, (or Moriarty,) OTOH, uses a series of Cruiser sized command modules to control shoals of System Defense Missile Pods. (Apollo 4DSDMs, for Mycroft, "conventional" 3DSDM or 4DSDM for Moriarty.) An entire constellation of control modules for Mycroft or Moriarty takes about the same amount of materials (and dollars?) as a single fort and requires fewer people to man.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Is there a reason systems cannot be seeded with Forts, instead of Forts pretty much only being used exclusively for defending junctions? With the advent of Apollo and its long-legged missiles, it seems to me the time has come, actually making this feasible?

Forts are big, expensive, immobile structures. Fine for defending a relatively fix point in space, like WHJ or Terminus, or a gravity anchor, like a planet.

Mycroft, (or Moriarty,) OTOH, uses a series of Cruiser sized command modules to control shoals of System Defense Missile Pods. (Apollo 4DSDMs, for Mycroft, "conventional" 3DSDM or 4DSDM for Moriarty.) An entire constellation of control modules for Mycroft or Moriarty takes about the same amount of materials (and dollars?) as a single fort and requires fewer people to man.

IC.

But you don't have to defend the entire system. Just where your objectives are. Ballistic components carry the force of the long arm of the law.

Moriarty and Mycroft represent the RMNs latest technology. The US supplies stripped down versions of our earlier jets to allies, not our state of the art. But I suppose that if Apollo is compromised, so too is Mycroft/Moriarty.

Oh well. A pipedream with no pipe.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Moriarty and Mycroft represent the RMNs latest technology.

Moriarty is RHN technology, but well within the capability of anyone who can build a cruiser hull and stuff it with fire control links.

The point is that forts are big and expensive and not needed except as targets to distract invaders from the real control modules.

Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:45 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Moriarty and Mycroft represent the RMNs latest technology.

Moriarty is RHN technology, but well within the capability of anyone who can build a cruiser hull and stuff it with fire control links.

The point is that forts are big and expensive and not needed except as targets to distract invaders from the real control modules.

Moriarty we know is a pure relay system and needs a central control node and ideally a couple of back up control modes, that are best installed in big nasty forts to protect them from things like Mistletoe. Though those forts are pretty deep in the system. Possibly in planetary orbit.

Mycroft may have some more autonomous control capability in the cruiser sized Keyhole II derived relay nodes. But I'd bet that most if the time it's operating under the control of a manned control fort that again is probably near the planets. (It's advantage is 62x less control lag than Moriarty.

So even with those systems forts can still play a part. But that part is usually orchestrating the very long range missile control infrastructure while also retaining the onboard combat (and pod laying; possibly LAC deploying) capabilities should anything fight or sneak its way near the planet.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:14 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote: Moriarty we know is a pure relay system and needs a central control node and ideally a couple of back up control modes, that are best installed in big nasty forts to protect them from things like Mistletoe. Though those forts are pretty deep in the system. Possibly in planetary orbit.

We know no such thing:

At All Costs
Chapter Thirty-seven wrote:
In Arthur orbit, the installation codenamed Moriarty came fully on-line for the first time. It wasn't a very huge installation. In fact, it was no larger than a heavy cruiser, and it had been transported in two prefabricated modules aboard a fleet supply ship, then assembled in place in less than forty-eight hours.

As warship tonnages went, four hundred thousand wasn't a lot . . . unless all of it was dedicated to fire control.

Moriarty was Shannon Foraker's system defense answer to the individual inferiority of the Republic's missile pods. The control station was a flat, light-drinking black, constructed of radar absorbent materials. It was almost impossible to detect, as long as it practiced strict emission-control discipline, and the Manticoran recon arrays had missed it entirely.

Now it reached out through the other innocent-looking orbital platforms which had been seeded about the system at the same time. Each of those platforms was, in effect, a less capable, simpler minded version of the RMN's own Keyholes. They formed a network, an expanding spray of tentacles, which gave Moriarty literally thousands of fire control telemetry links. And what those links lacked in Manticoran-style sophistication they made up in numbers, because they could control the missiles assigned to them without break all the way to their targets.

Moriarty had only one real weakness, aside from the fact that if it had been detected, killing it would have been relatively simple. That weakness was the light-speed limitation on its telemetry. It simply couldn't provide real-time corrections as its missiles raced down range. On the other hand, neither could Honor's telemetry links. Aside from the superior seeking systems and more capable AIs aboard the Manticoran missiles, the accuracy playing field had just been leveled.

Moriarty does use command relays similar to Keyhole I but they are not Moriarty; that code-name is for the command module which is a heavy cruiser sized hull without weapons (or drives?) filled with fire control systems.

The Arthur system only had one Moriarty, but later in the book they upgraded to three widely dispersed Moriarty command modules.

(edited to correct hull size)

Post by kzt   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:14 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote: Moriarty we know is a pure relay system and needs a central control node and ideally a couple of back up control modes, that are best installed in big nasty forts to protect them from things like Mistletoe. Though those forts are pretty deep in the system. Possibly in planetary orbit.

We really don't know that. I'm hoping for Skynet myself, but I doubt David is going there.

But there are really huge issues that happen when you put the KH nodes light minutes away from the C&C nodes instead of a thousand KMs or so.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

We know no such thing:

At All Costs
Chapter Thirty-seven wrote:
In Arthur orbit, the installation codenamed Moriarty came fully on-line for the first time. It wasn't a very huge installation. In fact, it was no larger than a heavy cruiser, and it had been transported in two prefabricated modules aboard a fleet supply ship, then assembled in place in less than forty-eight hours.

As warship tonnages went, four hundred thousand wasn't a lot . . . unless all of it was dedicated to fire control.

Moriarty was Shannon Foraker's system defense answer to the individual inferiority of the Republic's missile pods. The control station was a flat, light-drinking black, constructed of radar absorbent materials. It was almost impossible to detect, as long as it practiced strict emission-control discipline, and the Manticoran recon arrays had missed it entirely.

Now it reached out through the other innocent-looking orbital platforms which had been seeded about the system at the same time. Each of those platforms was, in effect, a less capable, simpler minded version of the RMN's own Keyholes. They formed a network, an expanding spray of tentacles, which gave Moriarty literally thousands of fire control telemetry links. And what those links lacked in Manticoran-style sophistication they made up in numbers, because they could control the missiles assigned to them without break all the way to their targets.

Moriarty had only one real weakness, aside from the fact that if it had been detected, killing it would have been relatively simple. That weakness was the light-speed limitation on its telemetry. It simply couldn't provide real-time corrections as its missiles raced down range. On the other hand, neither could Honor's telemetry links. Aside from the superior seeking systems and more capable AIs aboard the Manticoran missiles, the accuracy playing field had just been leveled.

Moriarty does use command relays similar to Keyhole I but they are not Moriarty; that code-name is for the command module which is a heavy cruiser sized hull without weapons (or drives?) filled with fire control systems.

The Arthur system only had one Moriarty, but later in the book they upgraded to three widely dispersed Moriarty command modules.

(edited to correct hull size)

Also note that after the Missile Toe attack, Theisman reminisced that the original proposal was for SD sized control centers with a massive defensive suite, and in lite of the attack, future production would probably shift from the speedily produced CA sized control centers to SD sized control centers.

The question is, which will Mycroft use, the speedily built minimalist control stations, or a massive defensive control station.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:43 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

<snip>

Forts are not Immobile, they just have exceedingly poor tactical speed, and no strategic maneuverabily. Limited to ~100 Gs by the Grav plates used to counteract accel, they are able to Maneuver, form tactical formations, respond to enemy maneuverings, and redeploy (slowly) within a system.

Had the PRH taken the inner system defenses at Manticore, the Junction forts could have sent a portion of their strength into the inner system and attempted to retake the system. Unfortunately, with their poor accel, even MDM armed forts can be easily out-maneuvered by "mobile forces", making them really only good at defending (or retaking) a strategic point, where the enemy either must surrender the encounter and flee, or be forced to engage on the fort's terms.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Forts are not Immobile, they just have exceedingly poor tactical speed, and no strategic maneuverabily.

In practical terms, they are "immobile." Wherever a fort is when battle is joined, is where it will be found when the battle is over -- plus or minus a few thousand kilometers.

Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Theemile wrote:Forts are not Immobile, they just have exceedingly poor tactical speed, and no strategic maneuverabily.

In practical terms, they are "immobile." Wherever a fort is when battle is joined, is where it will be found when the battle is over -- plus or minus a few thousand kilometers.

I simply thought that all of the new and emerging technology has possibly given the utility of forts a new lease on life if seeded throughout the system with long-legged missiles that alleviate its previous liability of limited movement. Since it can target all existing enemies before they can enter their own missile envelope. Less the MAlign of course.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse