Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Or the RF can alienate those star nations most sympatico with Beowulf and get them to leave the SL 2.0. If the RF/MAlign spends the next few decades worming its way into the New League leadership, they can end up running the League. The League without the institutionalize abuses of the Old League.

Going this route gives the MAlign a leg up on their old plan of spending generations gathering traumatized star nations. If the can pull it off, they use the GA to galvanize the New League into a cohesive unit to enforce its will on the rest of the galaxy. Once the GA is destroyed, the rest is just a matter of time.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:
It makes far more sense in the short-run for the RF to show discretion. They don't really want to be noticed. And it would be better for them to infiltrate than conquer.

They went over half a millennium with a plan that went nowhere. Why rush into a new plan that could lead to even worse disaster?

But did it go nowhere? The Solarian League was everyone knew it is... gone. Hypatia and Beowuld, and several other core members (and allied worlds) are gone and not going back. The book ends on the calling for the convention for a new constitution.

Add the RF. we were assuming that they would be the calm ports in the storm as the SL shattered. What if, instead, they are the rock on which it breaks? They, and their allies, can form a vocal bloc in the constitutional proceedings, one perhaps that keeps the new constitution from ever coalescing. One that sows discord and breaks concession and compromise?

What would you get? A prolonged multi year process where each world slowly feels more isolated and naked with every day that passes. If the pot is stirred enough, worlds (especialy the shell) will continue to shed into the black. Eventualy a constitution would be signed, but the resulting SL would be much smaller, and probably without the RF and Allies.

Went nowhere? Absolutely not. The plan was incredibly fruitful. What they wanted was a coup de gras -- a shattered League. Done. The only remorseful result was the forming of an adversarial alliance. Which happened, more or less, because of the overall success of the plan. And the fear it garnered.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Or the RF can alienate those star nations most sympatico with Beowulf and get them to leave the SL 2.0. If the RF/MAlign spends the next few decades worming its way into the New League leadership, they can end up running the League. The League without the institutionalize abuses of the Old League.

Going this route gives the MAlign a leg up on their old plan of spending generations gathering traumatized star nations. If the can pull it off, they use the GA to galvanize the New League into a cohesive unit to enforce its will on the rest of the galaxy. Once the GA is destroyed, the rest is just a matter of time.

It seems intuitive even. I punched this ticket in a post far far away. The bulk of the League could end up with malignant owners. Part and parcel to the long range genius of the MA, I always thought.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:
It makes far more sense in the short-run for the RF to show discretion. They don't really want to be noticed. And it would be better for them to infiltrate than conquer.

They went over half a millennium with a plan that went nowhere. Why rush into a new plan that could lead to even worse disaster?

But did it go nowhere? The Solarian League was everyone knew it is... gone. Hypatia and Beowuld, and several other core members (and allied worlds) are gone and not going back. The book ends on the calling for the convention for a new constitution.

Add the RF. we were assuming that they would be the calm ports in the storm as the SL shattered. What if, instead, they are the rock on which it breaks? They, and their allies, can form a vocal bloc in the constitutional proceedings, one perhaps that keeps the new constitution from ever coalescing. One that sows discord and breaks concession and compromise?

What would you get? A prolonged multi year process where each world slowly feels more isolated and naked with every day that passes. If the pot is stirred enough, worlds (especialy the shell) will continue to shed into the black. Eventualy a constitution would be signed, but the resulting SL would be much smaller, and probably without the RF and Allies.

A new League Constitution and constitution. The collective galaxy will be holding its breath (and umbrella) for the skinny on that one.

What will become of the EE clauses? Will the RF lay down the law?

Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I don't think the RF will totally separate itself from the MA. They will fuel and support each other behind the scenes like an alliance, or a conflict of interest could develop down the road. If trouble in paradise occurs between the two, someone's going to send anonymous galactic maps of Darius to Manticore.

The ramifications of a formal [Constitution constitution] looming ahead begs to question the handling of MA and Darius within the [Constitution constitution] of the RF-run League.

Post by ywing14   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:41 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Theemile wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:

I am with Theemile, the plan went somewhere and it accomplished one of it's main goals, the destruction of the SL. The SL as Humanity know it is gone.

However, where I don't agree is that they'd try to screw up the new constitution. One because they've announced themselves and basically gone their separate way, but two because there whole existence is to be for lack of a better term "the good guy". They were supposed to be a shining beacon of humanity that was going to show genetic modification was great. Causing issues now or later does help. If anything, they'd be smart to start wooing all the worlds in the shell and verge. Build ties, and show what a great star nation they are as they slowly build towards their end goal. They've still got the other portion of the MA to do all the dirty work.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ok, So I've been warned countless times about soliciting facts from the drunken wiki, so I need corroboration of something found on the Mesan Alignment data chip that made me go...WHAT?!

Drunken_Wiki wrote:
Mesan Alignment

The Alignment had originally considered the Republic of Haven to be the largest threat to its plans (both public and covert) in the Haven Quadrant, due to its egalitarian polices and abhorrence of slavery. Its success as a colony and as a model polity was alarming, as was its serious commitment to the Cherwell Convention. As a result, the Alignment (aided as possible by overt and covert actions by Manpower and others) focused on the destabilization of Haven, helping malign developments such as the Legislaturalist aristocratic dictatorship and an economic and social devolution, leading to the expansionist DuQuesne Plan.

The Alignment is responsible for the Legislaturalists and, by extension, the DuQuesne Plan?

Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Drunken_Wiki wrote:
Mesan Alignment

The Alignment is responsible for the Legislaturalists and, by extension, the DuQuesne Plan?

That Wiki entry seems to be an extensive extrapolation of vague clues in textev. It is fairly accurate, IMHO, but not directly supported by textev.

I think it would be more accurate as far as textev to say the MAlign was largely responsible for the Dole, Dolists, and Dolist Managers.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:44 am

munroburton
Admiral

There was speculation that DuQuesne himself was a MAlign agent.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:There was speculation that DuQuesne himself was a MAlign agent.

Huh? WHAT THE F-F-FRONT door doing open? :o Was that speculation forum centric, this forum? Is there one particular tidbit of textev that is/may be responsible for causing a bulldog ONI investigator to grab that thread and hold onto it like a Raggedy Ann doll?

Return to Honorverse