Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:17 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Mycroft is essentially a program with hardware attached that is designed to really do a job on attacking ships. It uses a lot of the new tech designed by Manticore like Ghostrider and Apollo to shatter offenses against a planet.

Chances are it wipes out missiles as well as ships. And, keep in mind, that most navies really hate the idea of losing a lot of ships.

That is why Imbesi is interested. If you're not that high a priority target you might not be attacked unless a navy can do it without much chance of damage. Add a really strong defense system to that low priority and chances are you won't even be attacked. And if you are you are pretty well-protected.
Post by cthia   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It would seem that Tremaine and Harkness manufactured their own version of a Tripple Ripple. Shannon and Honor both will be proud of them. LOL

Sov wrote:The seventy-two missiles of Tremaine’s “Barricade” drove directly through the heart of Tamaguchi’s first five hundred-missile salvo. Although a Mark 23’s impeller wedge was bigger than any standard missile’s, it remained considerably smaller than the outsized wedges counter-missiles used to sweep incoming fire out of existence.

Not very long ago I asked if this was possible. It seemed so. Of course, I was suggesting targeting enemy launches under power, which seems possible in conjunction with the accuracy of Apollo.

Of course the author saw a more likely use, of targeting enemy missiles during the ballistic phase.

However, it appears that Tremaine and Harkness missed a trick. After their launch completed their swashbuckling trip through the first three of the SLN salvos, why didn't those surviving missiles from "Barricade" continue on to target enemy ships? They destroyed the Solarian launch during their ballistic flight profile by wedge fratricide, not by warheads or by collision. The surviving Manty missiles should have been usable, and able to receipt new orders and new targets on the fly. Plenty of time had to be left on their drives -- since the enemy missiles were met in-between enemy ships, simply an inline waypoint. IOW, Barrricade's missiles didn't have to travel out of the way to target enemy missiles. All-in-all, in a nutshell it seems possible, despite the fact that the trick of using missiles for CMs seem to require lower initial acceleration.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Not sure why the Barrricade missiles would not have been usefull against the SLN ships unless they were either ultimatly destroyed by wedge fratricide of their missile targets or ended up too far from the SLN ships and never entered their engagement range of those ships.

Given that The SLN was chasing- presuming they were going on the same vector and Tremain's force wasn't attempting to curve away to a closer point of the hyper limit- they should have ended up flying right through the remains of any of those RMN vollies. While the power supply for the missiles wedges might have been drained, that doesn't have to mean that the warheads would be dead. Even one laser head going off infront of the SLN ships would have had some effect if nothing more than forcing them to concentrate some sensor capability to other ballistic weapons.
Post by cthia   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Not sure why the Barrricade missiles would not have been usefull against the SLN ships unless they were either ultimatly destroyed by wedge fratricide of their missile targets or ended up too far from the SLN ships and never entered their engagement range of those ships.

Given that The SLN was chasing- presuming they were going on the same vector and Tremain's force wasn't attempting to curve away to a closer point of the hyper limit- they should have ended up flying right through the remains of any of those RMN vollies. While the power supply for the missiles wedges might have been drained, that doesn't have to mean that the warheads would be dead. Even one laser head going off infront of the SLN ships would have had some effect if nothing more than forcing them to concentrate some sensor capability to other ballistic weapons.

BARRICADE I suppose we as readers should give a moment of silence and appreciation for Tremaine's first battle tactic, born of his first battle plan.

There's plenty of the Old Lady in this plan and a little of Foraker too. We must study our enemy musn't we?

I'm not sure why they wouldn't have been useful either. Unless they were all destroyed, which I didn't get the feeling that that was the case. Subsequent launches also attacked to get more of the SLN missiles that were missed. But I kept waiting for the part that the surviving missiles would carry on.

As a matter of fact, since the Barricade missiles had lower acceleration and the follow up launches would overtake them easily, perhaps they could have been made to arrive very closely together -- after the Barricade missiles had passed through the Solarian launches with plenty of time left on their drives.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I also must add that I am concerned not simply because it seems possible, but because it would eliminate the "wasteful" aspect of the notion. The same waste that the SLN admiral commented on, paraphrasing... "It seems wasteful for such obviously expensive missiles." But I suppose as Honor was fond of saying, again paraphrasing...

"If you don't agree that it's cheaper than people and ships, bill me!"

Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:20 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:I also must add that I am concerned not simply because it seems possible, but because it would eliminate the "wasteful" aspect of the notion. The same waste that the SLN admiral commented on, paraphrasing... "It seems wasteful for such obviously expensive missiles." But I suppose as Honor was fond of saying, again paraphrasing...

"If you don't agree that it's cheaper than people and ships, bill me!"

The real issue may be that the leadership of the League is desperate. Without a victory, they look really weak, making them a target.

Losing a few million people might not bother them all that much if it leads to a victory--even a Phyrric one, where they lose more than the victory is worth.
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Brigade XO wrote:Not sure why the Barrricade missiles would not have been usefull against the SLN ships unless they were either ultimatly destroyed by wedge fratricide of their missile targets or ended up too far from the SLN ships and never entered their engagement range of those ships.

BARRICADE I suppose we as readers should give a moment of silence and appreciation for Tremaine's first battle tactic, born of his first battle plan.

There's plenty of the Old Lady in this plan and a little of Foraker too. We must study our enemy musn't we?

I'm not sure why they wouldn't have been useful either. Unless they were all destroyed, which I didn't get the feeling that that was the case. Subsequent launches also attacked to get more of the SLN missiles that were missed. But I kept waiting for the part that the surviving missiles would carry on.

As a matter of fact, since the Barricade missiles had lower acceleration and the follow up launches would overtake them easily, perhaps they could have been made to arrive very closely together -- after the Barricade missiles had passed through the Solarian launches with plenty of time left on their drives.

It was also noted that Tamaguchi was towing lots of pods. I just knew they were going to be targeted by stealthy probes and destroyed. But perhaps it was concluded that more of the missiles could be destroyed while in their balliistic phase than by stealthy armed probes.

I also thought Tamaguchi would give tit-for-tat as far as the tactic of hypering out and microjumping out of the other side of the system to bring the Charles Ward to bear. They might have been able to destroy the fleet auxiliary. She would have made a nice prize, if so.

Post by lyonheart   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:53 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi cthia,

Again, are you trolling?

Since you overlooked that being inside the hyper limit means you can't hyper out to micro-jump?

BTW, Barricade is inherently wasteful of MDM's, every tactic has a cost, but attacking the enemy formation isn't its purpose; and trying to match them with the primary attack volley would only work in very few cases where the enemy was far more inept than Tamaguchi.

L

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:quote="Brigade XO"Not sure why the Barrricade missiles would not have been usefull against the SLN ships unless they were either ultimatly destroyed by wedge fratricide of their missile targets or ended up too far from the SLN ships and never entered their engagement range of those ships.

Given that The SLN was chasing- presuming they were going on the same vector and Tremain's force wasn't attempting to curve away to a closer point of the hyper limit- they should have ended up flying right through the remains of any of those RMN vollies. While the power supply for the missiles wedges might have been drained, that doesn't have to mean that the warheads would be dead. Even one laser head going off infront of the SLN ships would have had some effect if nothing more than forcing them to concentrate some sensor capability to other ballistic weapons.quote

It was also noted that Tamaguchi was towing lots of pods. I just knew they were going to be targeted by stealthy probes and destroyed. But perhaps it was concluded that more of the missiles could be destroyed while in their balliistic phase than by stealthy armed probes.

I also thought Tamaguchi would give tit-for-tat as far as the tactic of hypering out and microjumping out of the other side of the system to bring the Charles Ward to bear. They might have been able to destroy the fleet auxiliary. She would have made a nice prize, if so.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:53 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

We all know the phrase "The best laid plans", etc. Tamaguchi was snookered...until he figured it out too late.

And the point is that all over the League, the Sollie fleets are losing. That will cost. Sometimes they will lose some really good officers.

And all the planets in THIS sector will soon know of the defeats.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:41 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:We all know the phrase "The best laid plans", etc. Tamaguchi was snookered...until he figured it out too late.

And the point is that all over the League, the Sollie fleets are losing. That will cost. Sometimes they will lose some really good officers.

And all the planets in THIS sector will soon know of the defeats.

Unfortunately for Tomaguchi, he was up against a senior Captain (and crews) with levels more experience and training than he had, not to mention the tech indifference. As sneaky and devious as he may be, he was quite simply out of his league. Ironically, against a more conventional RMN officer, he still wouldn't have had a chance, though he might have landed some punches (and got more of his people killed) in the process.

As for the Ward - despite her size, she has a max velocity in the 675g range, that's ~60% more than an SLN BC can pull at 80% max accel. Scotty is a good enough tactician that he would create an illusion of the Ward being vulnerable, but without it quite being vulnerable.

Assuming the 5 Chansons each had 15 firecontol slots, and the Ward ~50, they can volley 1000 Mk 23s every 12 seconds or so from Apollo pods; using tubes, the 16 Nevadas/Indefatigables would be limited to about 430 missiles every 35-45 seconds - or a trade off of at least 7:1. We've already determined that 120 Mk 16Gs will kill a BC - ~75 Mk23Ds should do the same, so the chances of a BC surviving two 1000 missile salvos in fighting trim is about zero.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse