Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], zyffyr and 45 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun May 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I don't see Masada granting Barbara Bancroft's freedom. I can't see Grayson thinking the idiots civil enough to even approach about it.

Where do you get the idea that Barbara Bancroft divorced or remarried? The only textev I can find referencing her simply says she escaped to warn the moderates about the doomsday device. As far as textev is concerned, she ceased to exist after warning the moderates.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 3:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:I don't see Masada granting Barbara Bancroft's freedom. I can't see Grayson thinking the idiots civil enough to even approach about it.

Where do you get the idea that Barbara Bancroft divorced or remarried? The only textev I can find referencing her simply says she escaped to warn the moderates about the doomsday device. As far as textev is concerned, she ceased to exist after warning the moderates.

Sorry Harold. Perhaps I should have included that reference taken from ...
Wiki wrote:
Barbara was the wife of Steadholder Jeremiah Bancroft. During the Civil War, she was on the Faithful side until she discovered that her husband's followers were building a doomsday weapon. She then defected to the Moderates and informed them of the danger in order to save her children. This eventually led to the defeat of the Faithful, and their exile to the planet Masada. (HH2)
With the war over, Madame Barbara married Protector Benjamin IV, becoming a member of the Mayhew Clan and helping more religiously conservative Graysons view themselves in accordance with the Moderates.

Some time later, Madame Barbara was assassinated in front of a crowd. The killer was literally torn apart by an angry mob, and the Protector, with the full support of the people, used the opportunity to crush all remaining pockets of violent extremism on Grayson. (Companion)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Uroboros   » Sun May 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

Weird Harold wrote:

It was in the companion book House of Steel. It stated she remarried and was later assassinated.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun May 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Sorry Harold. Perhaps I should have included that reference taken from ...
Wiki wrote:...

That wiki says nothing about divorce and I can find no reference to her husband or descendants in the Masadan Hierarchy. I don't know of any religion that bars widows from remarriage -- assuming they let widows survive the husband, that is.

Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 4:09 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

When I was in the seventh grade one of my classes went on a field trip to see the USS North Carolina battleship. It was one of the most exciting field trips I experienced. Oh the goose bumps I still get. I remember, my best friend, a few others and I had already previously made plans to make our way to CIC. We must have made that trip in less than five minutes.

Just three summers ago, I took the tour again for the first time since that field trip. It turned out to be a very hot, grueling several hour tour. No water fountains aboard ship or restrooms. Our organizers had supplied water bottles for us in the seventh grade. I found out how invaluable they were to us. By the time we got deep into the bowels of the ship, we were exhausted, dehydrated and couldn't breathe. Hot is not an accurate description for being deep into the bowels of that ship on the 4th July! I can't imagine the sailors who worked in the engine room. Pics showed them working shirtless. It was unbearably hot without that behemoth of an engine throwing off heat!!! And the poor misinformed women, who wore short skirts and heels trying to climb completely vertical on a metal ladder followed closely by a male trying not to look under her skirt. Or the same short skirted women standing on an upper deck that is simply metal grating and people one deck below seeing classified under garments or lack thereof.

The second tour was completely different than the first as I remember it. But the arrival at CIC proved to be just as exciting. You feel powerful. Turn the ship on, let's set her out to sea!!!

I am so looking forward to the Honorverse CIC.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/55f.htm
http://www.virhistory.com/navy/ships/bb55-cic.htm

Aside:
Missing from the pics are the location of ships shown on a huge board peered thru a cutout from CIC, outside on the deck of the ship. They were just toy-like models moved by a huge pointer by hand. Very interesting the advances in CIC even now, much less on a Superdreadnaught.

Women, if you ever tour the USS North Carolina, dress extremely comfortably, without short skirts or heels. Take plenty of water. Pace yourself, but remember, no restrooms. A trip to the restroom requires backtracking several hours of touring, through people.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Sun May 25, 2014 4:27 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I beieve that this story is also told in "House of Steel in the section on the history of Grayson.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 4:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
That wiki says nothing about divorce and I can find no reference to her husband or descendants in the Masadan Hierarchy. I don't know of any religion that bars widows from remarriage -- assuming they let widows survive the husband, that is.

Yes, I know Harold. That was my point. There was no mention of a divorce, so I wondered how it was handled. You may be right about the letter of the law as far as religion is concerned with widows. But some religions do frown upon divorce, spurred on by Mark 10:9. And even some widowed women I know refuse to remarry because of a personal religious belief.

Post by Weird Harold   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Yes, I know Harold. That was my point. There was no mention of a divorce, so I wondered how it was handled.

If she was a widow, there would be no question of divorce. Wedding vows are "'Til Death us do part" and widows have been "parted" from their spouse--the vows have been fulfilled.

Personal commitments beyond the death of a spouse are not a part of religious doctrine -- except for the practice of Suttee, which isn't a part of CoHU doctrine.

Whether Steadholder Bancroft died in the civil war or was banished and declared legally deceased, Barbara was bound only by Grayson doctrine and secular law. I would expect that all of the legal details were taken care of before she became Barbara Mayhew.

Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Yes, I know Harold. That was my point. There was no mention of a divorce, so I wondered how it was handled.

If she was a widow, there would be no question of divorce. Wedding vows are "'Til Death us do part" and widows have been "parted" from their spouse--the vows have been fulfilled.

Personal commitments beyond the death of a spouse are not a part of religious doctrine -- except for the practice of Suttee, which isn't a part of CoHU doctrine.

Whether Steadholder Bancroft died in the civil war or was banished and declared legally deceased, Barbara was bound only by Grayson doctrine and secular law. I would expect that all of the legal details were taken care of before she became Barbara Mayhew.

But he didn't die. Not that I'm aware of. Therefore she wasn't a widow. Hence my concern. But crewdude supplied the missing link to my understanding...
crewdude48 wrote:
Well, the Faithful were banished off of the face of Grayson. I know in 1400's France and Spain, a person who was banished was considered legally dead within their original country. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was put into law on Grayson by Benjamin the Great, if only to make cleanup after the war that much easier.

Post by Michael Everett   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

King James
Mark 10:9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

This could be taken to mean that nuclear fission is against the dictates of christianity...
After all, it relies on splitting the atom...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Honorverse