Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 32 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:There might be some marriages that do occur but we're turning RFC into Barbara Cartland.

Except RFC can write much better than Barbara Cartland (or most other Romance novelists.) 8-)

Perhaps most, but not all. Christine Feehan's Ghostwalkers paranormal romance series is a hotbed of a twisted, roasting, lava spewing mêlée of burning hot desire that makes me have to resort to oven mitts just to hold her books.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

I always thought that Ginger was a nickname, so I found it funny when she read her orders to take command of CW and she was addressed as Captain (Junior Grade) Ginger Lewis.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:30 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:I always thought that Ginger was a nickname, so I found it funny when she read her orders to take command of CW and she was addressed as Captain (Junior Grade) Ginger Lewis.

Me too. Upon thinking about it, though, she must have had a shock-top of read hair at birth. Her name would have been an obvious choice for parents leaning towards descriptive names or who have many ginger relatives.

Of course, given Honorverse genetics, most parents would know to a large extent what their children would look like prior to birth. Folks would have to wait to and see the characteristics of the children to name them in light of those physical characteristics.
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One day Torch will be a bustling system. Is it too far-fetched to assume that the Torch Navy would be given free access to the MWJ? Because of the familial ties?

Certainly Berry doesn't have to pay for transit.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:10 pm

drothgery
Admiral

cthia wrote:One day Torch will be a bustling system. Is it too far-fetched to assume that the Torch Navy would be given free access to the MWJ? Because of the familial ties?

If Torch is a formal military ally of Manticore, the RTN will have the same free access to the Junction that the GSN (and other Manticoran Alliance members) have 'now'. However, at least at Torch's founding, Web Du Havel intended for Torch to be neutral in all conflicts other than those involving Mesa (and presumably the Alignment, now that they know it exists), so I don't know how that will play out. Torch's civilian traffic will of course pay junction transit fees; even Manticoran civilian traffic does.
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
cthia wrote:One day Torch will be a bustling system. Is it too far-fetched to assume that the Torch Navy would be given free access to the MWJ? Because of the familial ties?

If Torch is a formal military ally of Manticore, the RTN will have the same free access to the Junction that the GSN (and other Manticoran Alliance members) have 'now'. However, at least at Torch's founding, Web Du Havel intended for Torch to be neutral in all conflicts other than those involving Mesa (and presumably the Alignment, now that they know it exists), so I don't know how that will play out. Torch's civilian traffic will of course pay junction transit fees; even Manticoran civilian traffic does.

Thanks for the info. I always thought the notion of a navy gearing up to go to war, but then having to stop to pay toll charges is funny. I wonder if the transits are made then billed. Or paid before transit, which could waste precious time if you are headed to war.

As far as civilian traffic, I assumed that the allies would be given a reduced rate to transit. Perhaps even 50 % off. I know that that would strain Manticore's resources now, with Lacoon in full swing, but the Havenites were all but starving before they joined the alliance. I would assume that that was part of the bargaining chip proposed initially -- to ease the financial strain the Havenite government had of feeding its people.

I assumed that the RTN would have free access, alliance member or no. They are a young system trying to get its feet in the door of the galaxy, so to speak. Surely Beth would do all she can to assist in that endeavor. Even allow free commercial transit to help Torch's businesses grow, before beginning to charge them. It would have been my guess, on a multiple choice test, anyways.

Post by pappilon   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:07 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Certainly Berry doesn't have to pay for transit.

Torch already is a bustling system. It has some tree or something that is harvested and processed for its extremely valuable medicinal properties.

But I'm sure the little customs pinnaces don't dock with the freighters and collect the junction fees, like a toll collector in a meter maid cart. The ships' transit dates are recorded and a bill sent to the shipping company main office for payment. Being 30 days overdue would probably get your hulls pulled out of line and sequestered until the bill is paid.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by saber964   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:45 pm

saber964
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:I always thought that Ginger was a nickname, so I found it funny when she read her orders to take command of CW and she was addressed as Captain (Junior Grade) Ginger Lewis.

It's a common enough name. It's just not used all that much. It's like the name Samantha. It wasn't all that popular until the T.V. show Bewitched came out in the mid sixties. Then it went from the mid four hundreds to the top fifty in less than five years and has remained high for decades.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:It's like the name Samantha. It wasn't all that popular until the T.V. show Bewitched came out in the mid sixties. Then it went from the mid four hundreds to the top fifty in less than five years and has remained high for decades.

I'll bet Stargate gave 'Samantha' another big boost! And 'Janet' too. 'Vala', probably not so much.
———————————
They say I can't be a nonconformist because I’m not like the other nonconformists.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:

Certainly Berry doesn't have to pay for transit

Torch already is a bustling system. It has some tree or something that is harvested and processed for its extremely valuable medicinal properties.

But I'm sure the little customs pinnaces don't dock with the freighters and collect the junction fees, like a toll collector in a meter maid cart. The ships' transit dates are recorded and a bill sent to the shipping company main office for payment. Being 30 days overdue would probably get your hulls pulled out of line and sequestered until the bill is paid.

The fees get paid electronically. The visit from the customs ships is to do visual inspections of cargo, the ship itself and various on-board logs.
Berry's ship bringing her to Manticore is quite possibly is going to have the fee waived as a visiting head of state but that would depend on the agreements with Manticore. Anything else from Torch is going to pay per the fees and probably have customs inspections as per the tarif schedule and other consideratons. Torch SDF/Naval ships fall under a different set of rules primarily because they are armed, again "other considerations"

Return to Honorverse