Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 122 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:04 pm

saber964
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of the Grayson Letters from Home shorts that I seem to remember (apart from which publication it was)

Pretty sure those were web only; never part of any publication.

Here's a link: http://www.baen.com/presby-grayson-letters.html

You can also download from baen's free library. Download Free short stories 2011 and 2012. They contain Honorverse BuTech9 and Grayson letters home. The first has Letter from Stephanie which gives us a date for the discovery of certain celery thiefs.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:45 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I never questioned whether Manticoran English was American in nature or British. I always imagined it was American English and never questioned or considered that it could be British. Blame that on my American naiveté. But I'm almost a married man, to an English girl. Her constant accent has made me wonder about the English spoken about Mount Royal Palace. I don't recall it being mentioned before. Has it?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:45 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

don't think anything been explicitly said beyond that a large amount of the colonists came from Britain, Weston Europe and America

given the monarchy and aristocracy i've always assumed that it is Queen's English used not American. though the fact that it is written in American has given me doubts on occasion
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Dauntless wrote:don't think anything been explicitly said beyond that a large amount of the colonists came from Britain, Weston Europe and America

given the monarchy and aristocracy i've always assumed that it is Queen's English used not American. though the fact that it is written in American has given me doubts on occasion
After a couple of thousand years, it's probably far more different from either than they are from each other.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote: After a couple of thousand years, it's probably far more different from either than they are from each other.

It could have diverged almost as much as Australian, or it could be being the most proper English of the Queen as being taught in India. :lol:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by drothgery   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:47 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:don't think anything been explicitly said beyond that a large amount of the colonists came from Britain, Weston Europe and America
Most of the original colonists died in the Plague Years, and the second set of colonists came from all over (a lot of Sphinx-ians came from other heavy grav planets that had been colonized in the interim).
Post by n7axw   » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:56 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
Most of the original colonists died in the Plague Years, and the second set of colonists came from all over (a lot of Sphinx-ians came from other heavy grav planets that had been colonized in the interim).

Saying "most" of the colonists died is probably a bit of a stretch. But it was bad enough, severe enough to threaten the viability of the colony. IIRC, about 60% of the original colonists died of the plague.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'm not asking this question solely limited to the Honorverse. Although, if anyone has an Honorverse equivalent answer, feel free. Although the particular passage says it was the first time it had happened in the Star Kingdom's history, I'm not sure if it applies elsewhere in the Honorverse as well.

Spurred on by one of Hutch's latest posts in the "Fav' Passages" thread, is there a limit to how much rank an officer can be skipped? Honor was bumped three full grades from Commodore to Admiral.

In modern day military navies, is it possible to skip as many grades or more? Does anyone know of a real life equivalent?

Just interested.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:26 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

don't know if it is true but I heard that in ww2 a major was the senior officer on the spot in one of the small remote asian countries Burma perhaps?

but he knew none of the locals and would accept a major in charge, so he told everyone he was a general. after the war when the higher ups learned about this they decided that they couldn't let it be known that he'd lied to their allies so they promoted him to general and then then retired him and and ask that be ambassador/envoy to that country.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:

After a couple of thousand years, it's probably far more different from either than they are from each other.

Remember the comments about the language used in the recording of Edward Saganami's last battle - it was called archaic - and that's a recording that happens 1700 years from now. Watching a 2015 blockbuster in 1920 PD has got to be worse than reading Chauncer today. The language drift must be enormous.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse