Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: zyffyr and 45 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Certainly if anyone's history can benefit from the calming effects of a teeecat it's Berry and Lars.

Wouldn't you think that is a bit different, considering that since they were born and raised on Sphinx they're somewhat "domesticated" and think as Sphinxians?
ldwechsler wrote:Major booboo. Lars and Berry were born on Terra and eventually raised on Manticore. They might well have visited Sphinx, but not in textev.

The main problem is that the right treecat and person have to meet. Just because someone like Victor would be great with one does not mean he will meet the one that will bond.

All of the recent partnerships are exactly that. They are partnerships, not bonding experiences. Or, at least, there are none that we know of.

Just because someone could be helped by such a bond does not mean it will happen. Michell is Elizabeth's first cousin and was a roommate of Honor but does not have a treecat.

There are not that many bonded pairs outside of the rangers who live on Sphinx.

That was made in response to lyonheart's post...

Since we first read about Genghis in At All Costs, his companion Judson van Hale was the son of a freed genetic slave born and raised on Sphinx, so we've known for almost a dozen years that genetic slaves can definitely attract treecats.

Though I certainly could have made it clearer.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 am

drothgery
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:My primary surprise in Cauldron of Ghosts was that the Torch government didn't come home with their own passel of treecats.

Eh. Tropical climates are very uncomfortable for treecats. That's going to put a damper on non-bonded 'cats going to Torch.
Post by kzt   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:08 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
lyonheart wrote:My primary surprise in Cauldron of Ghosts was that the Torch government didn't come home with their own passel of treecats.

Eh. Tropical climates are very uncomfortable for treecats. That's going to put a damper on non-bonded 'cats going to Torch.

Not once we shave them!
Post by pnakasone   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:46 am

pnakasone
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
drothgery wrote:Eh. Tropical climates are very uncomfortable for treecats. That's going to put a damper on non-bonded 'cats going to Torch.

Not once we shave them!

The furry buzz saws would have something to say about being shaved to anyone who tries.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pnakasone wrote:Eh. Tropical climates are very uncomfortable for treecats. That's going to put a damper on non-bonded 'cats going to Torch.

Not once we shave them![/quote]

Treecats are considered "people." They go where they want to go. Some might decide to go to Torch. But so far, except for those partnered with key leaders in the Grand Alliance, they are on the three planets of Manticore, mainly Sphynx, and Grayson.

No textev that they have sent some to Haven, etc.

I would guess there won't be any real moves until there are reports from some treecats who go to the planets and, probably, a few adoptions.

It was a big deal when Grayson got them.
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
pnakasone wrote:Eh. Tropical climates are very uncomfortable for treecats. That's going to put a damper on non-bonded 'cats going to Torch.
kzt wrote:Not once we shave them!

Treecats are considered "people." They go where they want to go. Some might decide to go to Torch. But so far, except for those partnered with key leaders in the Grand Alliance, they are on the three planets of Manticore, mainly Sphynx, and Grayson.

I would guess there won't be any real moves until there are reports from some treecats who go to the planets and, probably, a few adoptions.

I've never been sure about treecats bonding with Havenites. (A whisper so as not to rile a rose.)

What if the Alliance crumbles and war between Haven and Manticore begins anew? That would leave treecats on opposite sides. AT ODDS. I think it would be prudent for treecats to sit that one out.

<Stuck between a wedge and a hard place>

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

Not once we shave them!

It was a big deal when Grayson got them.[/quote]
I'm certain that the treecat partnered with senior Havenite officials (Pritchett, etc al) went back to Haven with them when they returned home. It was part of the treecats participation in the war against the MAlign.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

Not once we shave them!
ldwechsler wrote:Treecats are considered "people." They go where they want to go. Some might decide to go to Torch. But so far, except for those partnered with key leaders in the Grand Alliance, they are on the three planets of Manticore, mainly Sphynx, and Grayson.

fallsfromtrees wrote:I'm certain that the treecat partnered with senior Havenite officials (Pritchett, etc al) went back to Haven with them when they returned home. It was part of the treecats participation in the war against the MAlign.

Only in a platonic capacity, no bondings. They are free to leave without "bond repercussions."

Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

While contemplating whether Houseman had cause to sue Honor upstream, something else came to mind. Actually, the seed was planted in the Humor thread and the germinated thought resurfaced upstream.

Will it be possible to subpoena treecats as witnesses against their persons in a court of law? Or will treecats be given exemption under the law as spouses are here on Earth with Spousal Immunity?

AT ODDS!

<Memory Singers request the right not to have to sing in court against a spouse>

Some wholeass of a lawyer who also never liked treecats could purposely badger treecats in a court of law and try to force a wedge between the bonded pair. The treecats may find that there may be some unwanted implications associated with being intelligent and hanging out with two-legs.

Post by lyonheart   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:01 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Pnakasone,

Is that Indonesian, Malaysian or Thai?

No shaving will be necessary, although KZT did make me smile.

Genghis apparently had adjusted quite well to the tropical climate just like Nimitz in EoH, so once they're there, there should be few problems. ;) [ hurrah for synonyms!]

I wouldn't be surprised if the treecats didn't have or get set aside reserves or enclaves with picket-wood trees and prey etc in an environmental dome, NTM Skydomes might have some experience and even be willing to do it at cost {although the Andermanni and RoH will probably insist on paying all costs], if necessary, as part of the 'homesteading' agreement to keep the new generation treecats closer to their Sphinx 'roots' to appease the conservative treecat elders. ;)

Something else to recognise is, are all the special treecat db's and shuttles that will be needed as Samantha/Golden Voice's plan unfolds, which will be modified to fit all treecat requirements, including far fewer human seats to hide under, etc.

Imagine how much prey, NTM rabbits, they may have to ship and restock?

Of course,Dispatch Boats ought to be big enough for the initial treecat colonies, but imagine the call signs and ship logos etc.

anyone for some fun suggestions? :D

All the very best,

L

pnakasone wrote:
kzt wrote:quote="drothgery"
Eh. Tropical climates are very uncomfortable for treecats. That's going to put a damper on non-bonded 'cats going to Torch.quote
Not once we shave them!

The furry buzz saws would have something to say about being shaved to anyone who tries.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse