Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: state02 and 109 guests

Movie or tv series

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Movie or tv series
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 8:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:So far in my long life I have seen only a few good books turned into good movies. Even with the good ones I have a few issues but that has to be expected. I think that I have mentioned this before but I was totally disgusted with the movie 'Hunt for Red October'. Not only did they change very important parts, for what I consider poor reasons, they left out so much of the really nice parts IMHO. Good books need to be read. But I would love to see a good book turned into a visual medium. But I'm a bit picky: put into it everything that I think was good in the book. I think that anything like the Honorverse books the only possibility to do it anywhere close to right would be a very long series. I'm thinking an entire season of two to four hour per week episodes for each novel. For some it could be even longer. Would I buy the DVD's, all thirty or so of them, if that was done? Yes, I would even if it meant Ramen Noodles for dinner for the year. At least if the film-maker followed the books like a fundamental religious fanatic. :!:

I know what you mean. When I think of good books made into movies, I immediately think 'Close Encounters of The Third Kind.' It even rivaled the very good book. 'Hunger Games' is okay so far.

If Honorverse ever sees tv, which channel would be best? The Sci-Fi channel? I'm concerned because some channels seem to cancel shows too quickly.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Reader Bob   » Sun May 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

ethia, I have only seen one movie made from a book that I actually read and thought was good that I thought was good too: 'The DiVinci Code'. Only insignificant details were different. Now 'The Clan of the Cave Bear' was one of my favorite books and the movie was worse than horrible! I don't think that horriblest is a word but it would apply if it was. As a result, I don't see many movies any more. I watch Cosmos and then watch Cosmos again. ;)
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:ethia, I have only seen one movie made from a book that I actually read and thought was good that I thought was good too: 'The DiVinci Code'. Only insignificant details were different. Now 'The Clan of the Cave Bear' was one of my favorite books and the movie was worse than horrible! I don't think that horriblest is a word but it would apply if it was. As a result, I don't see many movies any more. I watch Cosmos and then watch Cosmos again. ;)

Timely you brought that up. I have read all of Dan Brown's books. Love 'em. I have not seen the Da Vinci Code movie. Been meaning to. Because of your excellent rating, I shall very soon. Thanks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ripsql   » Mon May 26, 2014 4:15 am

ripsql
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I am kinda dreading the movie. Though I have high hopes that rfc will have very good veto powers. A very good book that got turned into an action movie - stupid, World War Z. Very nice book but the movie is a total rewrite to make one character the focal point. Wow, how can they just rewrite the entire story like that and call it a movie adaptation.

I think this can be made into a very nice animated series. Just look at some of the light novels in japan that was turned into an animated series. I have read some of the translations and watch some of the animated shows and they do a very good job keeping with the novels. Of course, I don't think Hollywood here can do something like that due to their own self importance which is a pity.

Hmm, I wonder if a kickstarter would work for this :)
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon May 26, 2014 1:09 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

ripsql wrote: Wow, how can they just rewrite the entire story like that and call it a movie adaptation.

My thoughts exactly regarding Starship Troopers.
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Mon May 26, 2014 1:24 pm

TheGlyphstone

MaxxQ wrote:
ripsql wrote: Wow, how can they just rewrite the entire story like that and call it a movie adaptation.

My thoughts exactly regarding Starship Troopers.

Starship Troopers is pretty infamously a movie that was written separately then attached to the name for marketing. The director was on record as having only read the first chapter or two, then putting the book down and forgetting about it.
Post by ripsql   » Mon May 26, 2014 6:50 pm

ripsql

TheGlyphstone wrote:
Starship Troopers is pretty infamously a movie that was written separately then attached to the name for marketing. The director was on record as having only read the first chapter or two, then putting the book down and forgetting about it.

Haven't read the book. Kinda enjoyed the brain washing setup of the movie. ...Cough
Anyways, I did hear about the difference to put it mildly from the series and the movie. I think the biggest part of it was doogie howser in the totalitarian getup...that is the impression I got from reading the discussion on how bad it was.
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon May 26, 2014 8:37 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

ripsql wrote:
TheGlyphstone wrote:

Haven't read the book. Kinda enjoyed the brain washing setup of the movie. ...Cough
Anyways, I did hear about the difference to put it mildly from the series and the movie. I think the biggest part of it was doogie howser in the totalitarian getup...that is the impression I got from reading the discussion on how bad it was.

Neil Patrick Harris was the *least* of the problems with that "movie". Singular - there *are* no other Starship Troopers movies, and if I had my way, there wouldn't be the first one, either. :mrgreen:

Read the book.
Post by John Prigent   » Tue May 27, 2014 9:06 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

If I had to nominate my favourite for 'worst-ever movie from a good book' it would simply have to be The War of the Worlds. About the only things that weren't changed from Wells' story were that the action took place on Earth and the invaders were from Mars. A truer conversion to movie format would need to be a steam-punk film, and that might work rather well - as long as it stayed set in England and had an English-speaking cast. And NO unneeded brat tagging along!
Cheers
John
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue May 27, 2014 11:05 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

John Prigent wrote:If I had to nominate my favourite for 'worst-ever movie from a good book' it would simply have to be The War of the Worlds.

I assume that you're talking about the more recent version because the first film version was pretty good, while the radio play was inspired.

Seriously, how many radio plays cause mass panic?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Honorverse