Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drothgery, Jonathan_S, LewK, penny and 56 guests

Attainable vs Achievable

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Attainable vs Achievable
Post by MuonNeutrino   » Sat May 24, 2014 3:55 pm

MuonNeutrino
Commander

cthia wrote:I'm upset because I have been trying to get nearly a dozen of my foreign friends to join the forums. They have read appalling attacks on others that is alien to them. This will be yet another.

I have to agree. I've been seeing an awful lot of really uncalled-for vitriol lately, more than there ever was when I first showed up here, and I'm really at a loss to understand why. One of the pleasant surprises when I first found that this forum existed was how unusually civil it was, but it doesn't feel nearly so welcoming these days.
Post by Duckk   » Sat May 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

My policy has been to let discussions run their course in the hopes that it will self correct. I don't want to stifle good discussion. That said, I agree things have been taking a turn for the worse lately, so I will be more...proactive when I see aggressive posts.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by stewart   » Sun May 25, 2014 11:31 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Duckk wrote:My policy has been to let discussions run their course in the hopes that it will self correct. I don't want to stifle good discussion. That said, I agree things have been taking a turn for the worse lately, so I will be more...proactive when I see aggressive posts.

Thanks for your oversight Duckk; I have observed that generally, adults (whatever the chronological age) CAN carry on civil conversations, but on rare occasions you need a "school teacher equivalent" with a stout ruler.....

-- Stewart
(retired USN Blueshirt)
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon May 26, 2014 2:01 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Duckk wrote:My policy has been to let discussions run their course in the hopes that it will self correct. I don't want to stifle good discussion. That said, I agree things have been taking a turn for the worse lately, so I will be more...proactive when I see aggressive posts.

Thank you, Duckk.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Michael Everett   » Mon May 26, 2014 3:38 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

So... less excuses to break out the popcorn then...
:D :lol:
My family always had a rule for arguments, the first one to use actual insults lost.
Darn good training in mental self-control and analysis. Almost as good as the pun-wars (where you weren't allowed to re-use a base pun, so if someone used egg-streme, things like egg-sactly couldn't be used. You could say it was no yolk-ing matter!)
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Spacekiwi   » Mon May 26, 2014 5:35 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Ours is of the opinion that the best, most inventive insult wins.....

no fun just suggesting incest, you have to make notes about a drunk goat in the family tree or something.... makes it much more interesting to listen to. :D

Michael Everett wrote:

So... less excuses to break out the popcorn then...
:D :lol:
My family always had a rule for arguments, the first one to use actual insults lost.
Darn good training in mental self-control and analysis. Almost as good as the pun-wars (where you weren't allowed to re-use a base pun, so if someone used egg-streme, things like egg-sactly couldn't be used. You could say it was no yolk-ing matter!)
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Reader Bob   » Mon May 26, 2014 11:50 am

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

I for one totally understand the vitrol: it is born of frustration. We come up with fantastic ideas for new equipment and all and Duckk and/or RFC shoots them down with no quarter given. We want to get onto reading the next books and RFC doesn't get them published tomorrow which is a day after we want them. He's probably off doing totally unnecessary things like eating and sleeping :lol:

Now I suppose that while a totally idiotic person could vent his or her spleen on the two causes of our frustration, a sane Lt. Commander, Ensign, or Fleet Admiral isn't going to step into that. Not even a slightly insane Lt. Commander isn't going to bring down the wrath of the moderator and First Lord.

So who else is there but each other? I am actually amazed by the actual restraint shown by everyone and it makes me try hard to follow their good examples ;)
Post by cthia   » Mon May 26, 2014 12:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:I for one totally understand the vitrol: it is born of frustration. We come up with fantastic ideas for new equipment and all and Duckk and/or RFC shoots them down with no quarter given. We want to get onto reading the next books and RFC doesn't get them published tomorrow which is a day after we want them. He's probably off doing totally unnecessary things like eating and sleeping :lol:

Now I suppose that while a totally idiotic person could vent his or her spleen on the two causes of our frustration, a sane Lt. Commander, Ensign, or Fleet Admiral isn't going to step into that. Not even a slightly insane Lt. Commander isn't going to bring down the wrath of the moderator and First Lord.

So who else is there but each other? I am actually amazed by the actual restraint shown by everyone and it makes me try hard to follow their good examples ;)

I used to be impatient about the next coming title as well, until I read this. It gives me much more understanding about the seemingly insurmountable odds of which our illustrious author is faced...

All in all, Weber publishes more than half a million words a year despite a nearly-crippling wrist injury in the 1990s. The accident left him with a shattered wrist and a looming deadline. The doctors put in pins and screws. Undaunted, Weber invested in voice recognition software. The software, if anything, has increased his productivity.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by dan92677   » Mon May 26, 2014 1:42 pm

dan92677
Commander

Duckk, I thank you! We don't need more vitriol, the world has enough, already.

Thank you!!!
Post by blind_pyro   » Tue May 27, 2014 10:01 am

blind_pyro
Ensign

cthia wrote:<snip>Again, I applaud you for asking such an innocent question.
I like when questions like this are asked. It helps me see things I missed. Because of family life, I have to read fast and I haven't had a chance to go back and reread any of the Honorverse books since we got our own house five years ago and then kids started coming along. Too many other projects like bathroom remodels and room updates and ethernet drops...

[Seriously, if you have crown molding, do you really need to put a wallpaper border of molding under it?]

Return to Honorverse