Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

SPOILER: Post CoG prognostications; ONI & SIS near Talbot

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPOILER: Post CoG prognostications; ONI & SIS near Talb
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun May 25, 2014 7:30 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SYED wrote:The haven forces has plenty of lower lech, but workable LAC . They could loan manticore them and possibly even carriers and supplies. The would be higher tech than the quadrant is used to but, not as high as manticore ones. even if less effective they could be deployed in greater numbers, and still be a threat to solly hyper craft, pirates and raiders will suffer greatly.

IIRC, the RHNs LACs were not designed nor are they capable of taking on Hyper warships. The RHN LAC philosophy is counter-lac and AMS defensive use, not offensive use (except against systems defended only by LACs)

Also, most of the LAC squadrons earmarked for the Talbot Quadrant were in place, in route, or working up at the time of the Yawata Strike. There's no real reason to divert RHN LACs to the TQ.

A few RHN CL or CA squadrons diverted to beef up TQ defenses wouldn't hurt, but aren't really needed at present.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by drothgery   » Sun May 25, 2014 1:35 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
SYED wrote:The haven forces has plenty of lower lech, but workable LAC . They could loan manticore them and possibly even carriers and supplies. The would be higher tech than the quadrant is used to but, not as high as manticore ones. even if less effective they could be deployed in greater numbers, and still be a threat to solly hyper craft, pirates and raiders will suffer greatly.

IIRC, the RHNs LACs were not designed nor are they capable of taking on Hyper warships. The RHN LAC philosophy is counter-lac and AMS defensive use, not offensive use (except against systems defended only by LACs)
That was true of the original Havenite LAC. The post-Erewhon tech transfer models with fission plants are somewhat more capable (though still not up to tangling with Shrikes or, especially, Katanas).
Post by crewdude48   » Sun May 25, 2014 1:43 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

drothgery wrote:That was true of the original Havenite LAC. The post-Erewhon tech transfer models with fission plants are somewhat more capable

Do you have any textev of RHN fission powered LACs? Not calling you out or anything, I just don't remember any.

drothgery wrote:(though still not up to tangling with Shrikes or, especially, Katanas).

Um, tangling with RMN LACs is exactly what RHN LACs were designed to do. They were very specifically designed as CAP type ships. Or should that be "combat space patrol?"
Post by drothgery   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:01 pm

drothgery
Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:
drothgery wrote:That was true of the original Havenite LAC. The post-Erewhon tech transfer models with fission plants are somewhat more capable

Do you have any textev of RHN fission powered LACs? Not calling you out or anything, I just don't remember any.
I'm much too lazy to search the books, but I believe it was mentioned way back in AAC that the Cimmetre-Alpha and Beta models had fission plants (and the Alpha has a Shrike-esque giant spinal laser -- though not a graser).
Post by crewdude48   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:13 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

drothgery wrote:I'm much too lazy to search the books, but I believe it was mentioned way back in AAC that the Cimmetre-Alpha and Beta models had fission plants (and the Alpha has a Shrike-esque giant spinal laser -- though not a graser).

Thank you.

AAC wrote:Over two-thirds of Smirnoff's ships were Cimeterre Alpha and Cimeterre Beta birds, built around the new fission power plants and improved capacitors Shannon Foraker and her technical crews had been able to produce after the windfall of technical data from Erewhon.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:I'm much too lazy to search the books, but I believe it was mentioned way back in AAC that the Cimmetre-Alpha and Beta models had fission plants (and the Alpha has a Shrike-esque giant spinal laser -- though not a graser).

Can't say for sure about the Beta, but the Cimmitere Alpha is explicity described as NOT haveing a fusion plant and having a Laser instead of a Grazer because it didn't have a big enough energy budget.

I don't recall any mention of fission plants in the Betas either, but then I don't recall much at all of the description of the upgrades.

Post by SWM   » Tue May 27, 2014 10:20 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

There is no need for RHN LACs in the Talbott Quadrant because there are already Manticoran enough LACs stationed there.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by lyonheart   » Tue May 27, 2014 1:05 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Weird Harold,

There aren't any Apollo system Defense pods in the TQ, yet.

What they've got are the pre-Apollo Mk-23's, which leave quite a bit to be desired, but they're certainly better than nothing.

Story wise, do you want pirates to discover why RMN LAC's have the mission, or do you want them scared off by word from freighters passing through that they have SL/RMN SD's in orbit, albeit old or obsolete?

The 69 FF ships whether they're new Gladiator's or Nevada's or old Ramparts and Mulligan's, are more than adequate against the rest of the verge apparently, besides showing the SEM/TQ flag as they make their visits while they patrol protecting the TQ freighters etc, obviously spreading the SEM's version of what happened at NT and Spindle etc, the subtext being the advantages of joining the GA.

I got burned by RFC almost 8 years ago at the bar for suggesting that Rembrandt and the RTU, after building heavy cruisers, might have begun to consider the requirements for some small BC's [400-600Kt], given the prestige of having a few sashay around the verge, and what did posters suggest; the gist of his response being absolutely nobody in the TC was considering building BC's of any kind, which didn't contradict my post's intent at all.

But that wasn't the first or last time... ;) :D

L

Weird Harold wrote:
kzt wrote:There are certain SLN strategies (which we have discussed) in which LACs are nearly useless as a defense.

True, no system is perfect. That is why the TQ systems were allocated System Defense Apollo setups as well as LAC squadrons.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue May 27, 2014 1:22 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:There aren't any Apollo system Defense pods in the TQ, yet.

What they've got are the pre-Apollo Mk-23's, which leave quite a bit to be desired, but they're certainly better than nothing.

I'm pretty sure that all Mk23s were withdrawn from the TQ after the Yawata Strike. I'm not sure what they were replaced with, but the plan was for Mk25 Apollos and Moriarity (as is being provided to Beowulf.)

The LACs are sufficient for most threats and the SLN has been pushed back by Adm Gold Peak far enough they're going to be more concerned with reclaiming lost systems than taking new ones.

lyonheart wrote:Story wise, do you want pirates to discover why RMN LAC's have the mission, or do you want them scared off by word from freighters passing through that they have SL/RMN SD's in orbit, albeit old or obsolete?

Blood-thirsty beast that I am, I'd prefer for pirates to make a fatal underestimation of TQ defenses. Every pilot destroyed is one less to take his depredations to a less well protected target.

lyonheart wrote:The 69 FF ships whether they're new Gladiator's or Nevada's or old Ramparts and Mulligan's, are more than adequate against the rest of the verge apparently, ...

I agree with SFC that all of the captured SLN ships are "worthless as warships." For the manpower and operating costs of one SLN BC, they can man a dozen or so LACs totaling five or ten times the war-fighting ability of the SLN BC.

Post by lyonheart   » Tue May 27, 2014 1:45 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi JTG452,

I again grant the desire to use only RMN ships even those immediately intended for reclamation before OB, but if you were Krietzmann, with all the SLN ships in orbit, it would be idiocy not to use them if you could.

As Helen noted in CoS, while BF is pretty obsolete, FF was much closer to cutting edge tech.

You might want to review TSotS because the rather new Gladiator CA's were very very good even when crewed by pirates, quite comparable to the RMN's then current Sag-B CA's, and originally the same tonnage of 425 Kt, which changed in HoS, IIRC, for some reason.

We don't know what the name of the latest BF SD class is, and from what we've seen so far it doesn't matter; but the FF crews we've seen haven't been too worried about engaging common verge equivalent ships, so I think the TQG would be more than pleased to add them in lieu of not having any new RMN ships added for at least a 2-4 years, aside from local production, but 69 ships totaling around 21-22 million tons is probably at least a few years of such construction, and so very welcome indeed.

Being an internal matter of the TQG, I suspect the RMN officially isn't too concerned, since its essentially an internal TQ matter, NTM all education and training can be used eventually.

I suspect the SLN and SLN Marine standards aren't as high as the RMN's, so more of the TQ population ought to qualify, at least for the SLN Marines and thus the TQG GC.

Given Spindle's SLN POW's number around 387,000 from just the warships, a third being marines means ~129,000 are marines with roughly ~32,000 having powered armor, quite useful to the new TQG ground component, so that just over 8,000 volunteer troops from their armies or PPF's from each TQ member could quickly be equipped, ready to be sent out to help 10th Fleet surprisingly soon for Mike.

While skin-suits might be a personal item of equipment in the RMN, the RHN and I suspect the SLN adapt or modify ship's issue TO&E as needed in the ship's workshops or industrial modules, and the TQG could easily require the volunteers sent meet the required suit metrics for quicker fittings.

L

jtg452 wrote:The captured Solly FF ships were useless against 1st tier Manty ships and all of those captured Solly FF ships are better than the Solly BF ships that would most likely compose any attack force.

IF (and, to me, that's a big 'IF') the decision is made to do a crash training program in Talbot to form a self reliant defense force, it would be more logical to use 2nd or 3rd tier 'obsolete', mothballed MANTY ships. The training cadre would be intimately familiar with them, they are proven designs, all the bugs have been worked out of them, all their flaws are known, there's a plethora of knowledge and spares available, and they would still be far more effective than anything the Sollys have to throw against them. Anything that the Sollys could handle has already been destroyed by the Peeps or scrapped and replaced by more effective platforms by now. Remember, SLN ship design has been pretty stagnate for decades while the Havenites and the Manties have been innovating constantly for the same period. If the SLN was superior to the pre-Wars ships, the Manties are now generations beyond that tech level. If Nikes are good enough to be Solly SD killers, then what would Star Knight design generation Manty ships be like against their Solly equivalent if they are armed with late generation weapons? I figure they could still punch over their weight class across the board, just not to the level that the Nikes do.

Personally, I don't see the logic in even doing something like pulling the mothball fleet out of the wrecker's hands and manning them for local protection in Talbot. I think the best course- which is the route that RFC seems to be headed, as far as I can tell- is to educate and train the Talboters up to RMN standards and integrate them into the whole Navy. Setting up local SDF's can happen after you have a core of experienced spacers to transfer from the regular navy to the SDF's.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse