Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 49 guests

Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue May 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

WLBjork wrote:Manticoran Service is for long service - darn, that's not how I'd read that either.

Possibly the equivalent of the National Defense Service ribbon -- known to USAF types as "the Battle of Lackland" ribbon?

Basically a "starter ribbon" so even new enlistees have something over that pocket. :D
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by saber964   » Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm

saber964
Admiral

My guess on the Survivors Cross is it is awarded when you survive the loss of your ship ie HMAMC Wayfarer and HMS Prince Adrian. But not getting it back like HMS Fearless. Also y'all forgot the Sidemore Presidential Medal, which is probably the Sidemorian equivalent to the PMV and SG.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 20, 2014 6:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ok, I searched for Thandi. I thought she'd have a few blings herself. But alas, none are listed? I suppose that since she was a Solarian citizen only by proxy hindered promotion and awards. Perhaps there are awards she has received on Torch I am not aware of since I haven't read it yet.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by WLBjork   » Wed May 21, 2014 3:28 am

WLBjork
Commander

saber964 wrote:My guess on the Survivors Cross is it is awarded when you survive the loss of your ship ie HMAMC Wayfarer and HMS Prince Adrian. But not getting it back like HMS Fearless. Also y'all forgot the Sidemore Presidential Medal, which is probably the Sidemorian equivalent to the PMV and SG.

Not a Manticoran medal, so she's not wearing it ;)

Just been rechecking and am surprised Honor doesn't have the Queen Elizabeth III Coronation Medal. At 7-8 years older than the Queen, I would have thought that Honor would have been a Lieutenant at the time. Such medals in the UK would be awarded to all those serving at the time - I recently got a medallion for being non-emergency crew with the Ambulance Service at the time of the Diamond Jubilee (those on the Emergency side got a full up medal).

So is Manticore more stringent in it's awarding of such medals?
Post by B9Lurker   » Wed May 21, 2014 9:17 am

B9Lurker
BuNine

Weird Harold wrote:
WLBjork wrote:Manticoran Service is for long service - darn, that's not how I'd read that either.

Possibly the equivalent of the National Defense Service ribbon -- known to USAF types as "the Battle of Lackland" ribbon?

Basically a "starter ribbon" so even new enlistees have something over that pocket. :D

Actually it is a long service award. :) X number of years service with no black marks, then you receive the medal. It's an officers only award.

For the UK/Commonwealth it's like the Tri-service Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GC). Difference is, the Manticoran Service Medal is an Officers only award. And there is only one ribbon, were as the LS&GC medal, each service has a different ribbon.

For the US i'ts like the Good Conduct Medal (in fact that's the name of the enlisted version in the RMN/RMMC/RMA). Again the difference is, it's an officers only award.

Scott B.
Post by B9Lurker   » Wed May 21, 2014 9:30 am

B9Lurker
BuNine

WLBjork wrote:
saber964 wrote:My guess on the Survivors Cross is it is awarded when you survive the loss of your ship ie HMAMC Wayfarer and HMS Prince Adrian. But not getting it back like HMS Fearless. Also y'all forgot the Sidemore Presidential Medal, which is probably the Sidemorian equivalent to the PMV and SG.

Just been rechecking and am surprised Honor doesn't have the Queen Elizabeth III Coronation Medal. At 7-8 years older than the Queen, I would have thought that Honor would have been a Lieutenant at the time. Such medals in the UK would be awarded to all those serving at the time - I recently got a medallion for being non-emergency crew with the Ambulance Service at the time of the Diamond Jubilee (those on the Emergency side got a full up medal).

She COULD wear the Sidemore Presidential Medal, but it would be last on her ribbon rack. (The real reason? I haven't designed a ribbon or decoration for it yet :P )

The Jubilee/Coronation medals have a set period of service in each service. In the Uk, 5 years is the norm. It's also given to special individuals.

In the SKM its the same, set number of years or special individuals. Honor didn't quite make the set number of years. So yes, Manticore is more stringent in the set number of service years. :D

Scott B.
Post by WLBjork   » Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 am

WLBjork
Commander

Another d'oh. Yes, there is a 5-year service requirement :oops: in the UK (I had ~7.5 at the time :D).

I blame working evening shifts then only getting 5-6 hours sleep :lol:
Post by saber964   » Thu May 22, 2014 4:38 pm

saber964
Admiral

WLBjork wrote:

Its a RMN decoration its above the Silesian APC medal and below the POW medal. It is red with two gold stripes and two silver stripes on the ends.
Post by justdave   » Thu May 22, 2014 11:29 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

"WLBjork, that's a very good guess! :)

Ok I'm not going to give away how Honor won most of these medals, but I can name them and give the Official resaon for awarding each award.

Star of Grayson- Highest award Grayson. (Special warrant from the Queen to wear after PMV, normally foreign awards are placed last, after all other SKM awards, regardless of its importance in the foreign nation)."

thought she had swords w/SoG or is that only w/neck ribbon?
Post by cthia   » Fri May 23, 2014 10:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

justdave wrote:"WLBjork, that's a very good guess! :)

Ok I'm not going to give away how Honor won most of these medals, but I can name them and give the Official resaon for awarding each award.

Star of Grayson- Highest award Grayson. (Special warrant from the Queen to wear after PMV, normally foreign awards are placed last, after all other SKM awards, regardless of its importance in the foreign nation)."

thought she had swords w/SoG or is that only w/neck ribbon?

Oh no. I didn't take into account that these awards have to be arranged not only neatly, but in a specific order. Poor Honor, the time it must consume. Or should I say, poor Mac.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse