Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys
Post by Reader Bob   » Fri May 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

I have House of Steel e-arc in both rtf and lit. I don't get decent enough resulution on the dress uniform for fleet admiral (Honor's I think) to check what the ribbons are. Where are you getting the information?

Thanks
Post by Senior Chief   » Sat May 24, 2014 1:46 am

Senior Chief
Commander

WLBjork wrote:Been trying to amuse myself with trying to remember or work out Honor's awards myself.

The angle and size of the ones shown in HOS are tricky to make out. However, my analysis is (first awards):

Manticoran Service Medal - Midshipman's cruise

Space Service Deployment Medal - Midshipman's Cruise

Queen Elizabeth III Coronation Medal - this one is obvious!

Havenite War Campaign Medal - no later than IEH

Havenite Operational Service Medal - First Hancock (they weren't at war prior to this)

Manticoran Combat Action Medal - Midshipman's cruise

Fleet Excellence Award - wargames with HMS Hawkwing

Prisoner of War Medal - Hades

Silesian Anti-Piracy Campaign - Midshipman's cruise

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal - rescuing the crew on HMS Manticore

Survivor's Cross - Midshipman's cruise?

Conspicuous Service Medal - ?

Saganami Cross - for sacrificing Price Adrian? *edit: can't be, this was awarded sometime around promotion to Commodore, listed in IEH*

Order of Gallantry - either First Basilisk or Second Yeltsin

Distingushed Service Order - presumably First Hancock

Manticoran Cross - First Basilisk

Order of King Roger - HOTQ

*This ribbon unclear, looks purple with a blue centre stripe, not listed? - ??? (I guess this is supposed to be the Sphinx Cross)

Parliamentary Medal of Valor - The assassination attempt in Yeltsin.

List of Honor Citation - HMS Fearless

Royal Unit Citation for Gallantry - ?

Not shown are Mentioned in Dispatches, Wound Stripes or Monarch's Thanks. Also, the Naval Expert Shooter ribbon is missing - does this lapse?

Hmmmm I spent 22 years in the military and when I retired I had 21 medals which did not count the 5 repeats and the 4 campaign stars attached to one of the medals. Combat... what war stories I could tell over a tankard of ale or coffee at the VA.

IMO Honor's are much better than mine... rereading the entire series for the umpteenth time... Lost count. Great series....
Post by WLBjork   » Sat May 24, 2014 8:50 am

WLBjork
Commander

Reader Bob wrote:I have House of Steel e-arc in both rtf and lit. I don't get decent enough resulution on the dress uniform for fleet admiral (Honor's I think) to check what the ribbons are. Where are you getting the information?

Thanks

B9Lurker is the person who created the medal ribbon artwork in House of Steel.

I just did the best I could at looking at the ribbons and matching them to the previous page.

As you note, they aren't the clearest of things to see. A couple of the colours seem a bit off, and the repeat clusters have thrown me a couple of times. Hate to think how long I dithered between the Order of Gallantry and the Order of Queen Elizabeth, but a very close look (hardcover) just allows me to spot the pale blue centre striple.
Post by B9Lurker   » Sat May 24, 2014 11:00 am

B9Lurker
BuNine

WLBjork wrote:
Reader Bob wrote:I have House of Steel e-arc in both rtf and lit. I don't get decent enough resulution on the dress uniform for fleet admiral (Honor's I think) to check what the ribbons are. Where are you getting the information?

Thanks

B9Lurker is the person who created the medal ribbon artwork in House of Steel.

I just did the best I could at looking at the ribbons and matching them to the previous page.

As you note, they aren't the clearest of things to see. A couple of the colours seem a bit off, and the repeat clusters have thrown me a couple of times. Hate to think how long I dithered between the Order of Gallantry and the Order of Queen Elizabeth, but a very close look (hardcover) just allows me to spot the pale blue centre striple.

I just looked at my HC copy of House of Steel. It is very hard to make out some/a lot of the ribbons.

Ok what I will do is see if I can get the PDF version of the colour plates up on our blog/website (just like the RMMC and RMA plates) and put a link to it from here. Please bear with me on this, as it may take a while, if I get the go ahead :)

Scott B.
Post by Reader Bob   » Sat May 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

B9lurker, you are an angel! I really want to be able to see everything and hoped that there was already some place to look but what you are offering is the next best thing. I will be looking for it.

Thanks for everything you do for us. :D
Post by cthia   » Sat May 24, 2014 2:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:B9lurker, you are an angel! I really want to be able to see everything and hoped that there was already some place to look but what you are offering is the next best thing. I will be looking for it.

Thanks for everything you do for us. :D

I second that! He saved me from mounds of research and improperly allocated free time.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by WLBjork   » Sat May 24, 2014 2:53 pm

WLBjork
Commander

B9lurker, gonna be a bit cheeky and point out that you could improve the chances by calling it an errata, and correcting the position of the Survivor's Cross as well as designing adding the ribbon for the Sidemore Presidential Medal, as well as those one or two other errors which crept in :D

Now, to suck eggs, first take an egg...
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 7:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Has there even been mention of Elizabeth's crown?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Yow   » Mon May 26, 2014 3:51 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Has there even been mention of Elizabeth's crown?

...nooooooooo??? :?: :?

This is the only thing I remember Elizabeth having been mentioned wearing a crown is in HoS and I have to wonder if it wasn't meant figuratively. I do not remember a physical crown being mentioned. Of course one would think that there is one because Queen Berry's crown is mentioned and it has a mouse on it with cheese looking like it got caught out.

“It’s obvious,” she continued after a moment, “that my father’s plan for a mutual defense treaty with San Martin is no longer possible. Its success would have depended on carrying the proposal in one, bold sweep, and whatever President Ramirez might want, he could never convince his legislature to approve an action which would necessarily infuriate the People’s Republic of Haven”—her mouth seemed to tighten and Ariel’s ears flattened—“at the invitation of a minor Queen who’s worn her crown for less than a week. That means we’re not going to find ourselves in a position to prevent the fall of Trevor’s Star.”

Bold italics quote is me

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"

Return to Honorverse