Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys
Post by crewdude48   » Fri May 23, 2014 11:48 am

crewdude48
Commodore

cthia wrote:
justdave wrote:"WLBjork, that's a very good guess! :)

Ok I'm not going to give away how Honor won most of these medals, but I can name them and give the Official resaon for awarding each award.

Star of Grayson- Highest award Grayson. (Special warrant from the Queen to wear after PMV, normally foreign awards are placed last, after all other SKM awards, regardless of its importance in the foreign nation)."

thought she had swords w/SoG or is that only w/neck ribbon?

Oh no. I didn't take into account that these awards have to be arranged not only neatly, but in a specific order. Poor Honor, the time it must consume. Or should I say, poor Mac.

Eh. It is not a huge deal. The ribbons are not put on the uniform one at a time. They sell racks with specific numbers of spaces for ribbons, and then you slide your ribbons onto the rack, three to a row, in the correct order. Then it is only a matter of using the three pins on the back of the rack to put it on your uniform.

Medals are even easier, because it is almost impossible to do it properly yourself. Medals are as wide as the ribbons, but are mounted five to a row, not three, so when you buy them, you get them professionally mounted. Admitidly having that much weight handing off your chest sucks, and so does the constant "clang, clang, clang," when you walk.

The only time it is really annoying is when you get a new award. Then you have to get a new rack, figure out where the new one goes, and put all of the awards on the new rack in the correct order.
Post by Neitz   » Fri May 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Neitz
BuNine

WLBjork wrote:My guess on the Survivors Cross is it is awarded when you survive the loss of your ship ie HMAMC Wayfarer and HMS Prince Adrian.....

saber964 wrote:Its a RMN decoration its above the Silesian APC medal and below the POW medal. It is red with two gold stripes and two silver stripes on the ends.

Scott, it looks like we have the Survivor's Cross on Honor's ribbon rack on Color Plate 4 in House of Steel, but it is placed between her CGM and her CSM. Did we get that out of order?

crewdude48 wrote:Eh. It is not a huge deal. The ribbons are not put on the uniform one at a time. They sell racks with specific numbers of spaces for ribbons, and then you slide your ribbons onto the rack, three to a row, in the correct order. Then it is only a matter of using the three pins on the back of the rack to put it on your uniform.

And in TRMN we buy these racks from military surplus stores, PXs, or online (like here: http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/our-products/ribbons-mounts/plastic-ribbon-mounts-3-in-a-row.html). We use these to mount our replica Manticoran ribbons that we have earned in our club activities.
crewdude48 wrote:The only time it is really annoying is when you get a new award. Then you have to get a new rack, figure out where the new one goes, and put all of the awards on the new rack in the correct order.

It sure is annoying! You find that out quickly if you are active in TRMN, where you may earn as many ribbons in two years as someone does in twenty years in the Real World military (or the in-universe RMN, for that matter).

Of course we could speculate that 2000 years in the future they have nanotech and smart fabric that makes that process easy. Doesn't help us any in the here and now, though!
-
WESTMARCH
http://BatRon21.org

MANTICON IS COMING!
Post by cthia   » Fri May 23, 2014 1:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

crewdude48 wrote:
Eh. It is not a huge deal. The ribbons are not put on the uniform one at a time. They sell racks with specific numbers of spaces for ribbons, and then you slide your ribbons onto the rack, three to a row, in the correct order. Then it is only a matter of using the three pins on the back of the rack to put it on your uniform.

Medals are even easier, because it is almost impossible to do it properly yourself. Medals are as wide as the ribbons, but are mounted five to a row, not three, so when you buy them, you get them professionally mounted. Admitidly having that much weight handing off your chest sucks, and so does the constant "clang, clang, clang," when you walk.

The only time it is really annoying is when you get a new award. Then you have to get a new rack, figure out where the new one goes, and put all of the awards on the new rack in the correct order.

Whew! Thanks for that info. It is still much better than the process I envisioned. It also explains how they manage to get them on so neatly.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri May 23, 2014 1:25 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

cthia wrote:
crewdude48 wrote:

Whew! Thanks for that info. It is still much better than the process I envisioned. It also explains how they manage to get them on so neatly.

There are (or at least, there *were*, when I was in the Air Force) also mini-medals, which are, I think about half the size of the regular medals. But IIRC, they could only be worn in very specific situations. It's all kinda hazy since I've been out for 23 years.
Post by cthia   » Fri May 23, 2014 1:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps the hassle might be a reason why Harkness avoided promotion. That and the fact that it can't be easy scuffling with a fleet of medals getting beat and jostled around and constantly getting lost in the scuffle. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by B9Lurker   » Fri May 23, 2014 2:48 pm

B9Lurker
BuNine

justdave wrote:"WLBjork, that's a very good guess! :)

Ok I'm not going to give away how Honor won most of these medals, but I can name them and give the Official resaon for awarding each award.

Star of Grayson- Highest award Grayson. (Special warrant from the Queen to wear after PMV, normally foreign awards are placed last, after all other SKM awards, regardless of its importance in the foreign nation)."

thought she had swords w/SoG or is that only w/neck ribbon?

Oops! The ribbon is there :lol: And it has crossed swords, I was so focused on her RMN awards I forgot her crossed swords! :P

She is meant to wear the neck decoration with ribbon rack (like the MoH) but I don't have a design yet, sorry! :)

Scott B.
Post by B9Lurker   » Fri May 23, 2014 2:55 pm

B9Lurker
BuNine

Neitz wrote:
WLBjork wrote:My guess on the Survivors Cross is it is awarded when you survive the loss of your ship ie HMAMC Wayfarer and HMS Prince Adrian.....

saber964 wrote:Its a RMN decoration its above the Silesian APC medal and below the POW medal. It is red with two gold stripes and two silver stripes on the ends.

Scott, it looks like we have the Survivor's Cross on Honor's ribbon rack on Color Plate 4 in House of Steel, but it is placed between her CGM and her CSM. Did we get that out of order?

John, that was a editing mistake, its right in the order of precedence on colour plate 4, but it's in the wrong place on Honor's ribbon rack. It should go between the Prisoner of War Medal and Silesian Anti-Piracy Campaign Medal. :)

Scott B.
Post by Reader Bob   » Fri May 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

Been out of touch for a while and missed something really important I think: What is HFQ that might be out by Christmas? I hope it isn't 'Honor Fires Queen' :lol:
Post by drothgery   » Fri May 23, 2014 4:39 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:Been out of touch for a while and missed something really important I think: What is HFQ that might be out by Christmas? I hope it isn't 'Honor Fires Queen' :lol:
Hell's Foundation's Quiver, which is the working title for the next Safehold book
Post by Reader Bob   » Fri May 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, thanks for the info. Now I don't need to worry because I am stuck in the Honorverse.

Return to Honorverse