Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests

Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys
Post by lyonheart   » Tue May 20, 2014 6:47 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Cthia,

Back in the '40's and '50's the USAF, especially SAC gave out service ribbons for every country the a/c's wheels touched on a deployment etc, until they were understandably lampooned by the other services as needing flaps on the backs of their uniforms for all of them.

:lol:

L

cthia wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:Honestly if Honor wasn't a genetically engineered super human she wouldn't be able to stand with all the actual medals on her chest instead of ribbons. At the very least she would have to ask for an honorary back brace to go along with all the shinnies from Elizabeth.

:lol: Exactly what I was thinking at the airshow, watching all of the decorated top brass. I immediately thought of Honor. Good thing she wears her hair short, as she needs all of that would be time to don all of her medals and ribbons. If she doesn't retire soon, she's going to have to consider putting them on her back, or start them down her pant leg.

I hope we get to see her receive the Star of Grayson in the movie.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Tue May 20, 2014 7:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Cthia,

Back in the '40's and '50's the USAF, especially SAC gave out service ribbons for every country the a/c's wheels touched on a deployment etc, until they were understandably lampooned by the other services as needing flaps on the backs of their uniforms for all of them.

L

Direwolf18 wrote:Honestly if Honor wasn't a genetically engineered super human she wouldn't be able to stand with all the actual medals on her chest instead of ribbons. At the very least she would have to ask for an honorary back brace to go along with all the shinnies from Elizabeth.

Cthia wrote:
:lol: Exactly what I was thinking at the airshow, watching all of the decorated top brass. I immediately thought of Honor. Good thing she wears her hair short, as she needs all of that would be time to don all of her medals and ribbons. If she doesn't retire soon, she's going to have to consider putting them on her back, or start them down her pant leg.

I hope we get to see her receive the Star of Grayson in the movie.

Thanks for that info. So it's not just me. Don't get me wrong, to see it is very impressive. And the recipients deserve the respect each award commands. But I recall the days in college when I first worked for a large 3-letter computer giant who had a dress code an encyclopedia thick. Name tags, clearance tags, etc. had to be immaculately placed. It took time to do so, or it would be crooked, or unseemly hung, I can't imagine the military, with its stringent dress code to be any different. I wouldn't think an officer would have an immaculately tailored and pressed uniform with all his bells and whistles haphazardly worn. Which to me it seems would take an inordinate amount of time. Also, at the airshow, I immediately realized a disadvantage of wearing all of the bells and whistles. A sniper can easily identify prime military targets.

Last edited by cthia on Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue May 20, 2014 7:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

WLBjork wrote:Been trying to amuse myself with trying to remember or work out Honor's awards myself.

The angle and size of the ones shown in HOS are tricky to make out. However, my analysis is (first awards):

Manticoran Service Medal - Midshipman's cruise

Space Service Deployment Medal - Midshipman's Cruise

Queen Elizabeth III Coronation Medal - this one is obvious!

Havenite War Campaign Medal - no later than IEH

Havenite Operational Service Medal - First Hancock (they weren't at war prior to this)

Manticoran Combat Action Medal - Midshipman's cruise

Fleet Excellence Award - wargames with HMS Hawkwing

Prisoner of War Medal - Hades

Silesian Anti-Piracy Campaign - Midshipman's cruise

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal - rescuing the crew on HMS Manticore

Survivor's Cross - Midshipman's cruise?

Conspicuous Service Medal - ?

Saganami Cross - for sacrificing Price Adrian?

Order of Gallantry - either First Basilisk or Second Yeltsin

Distingushed Service Order - presumably First Hancock

Manticoran Cross - First Basilisk

Order of King Roger - HOTQ

*This ribbon unclear, looks purple with a blue centre stripe, not listed? - ??? (I guess this is supposed to be the Sphinx Cross)

Parliamentary Medal of Valor - The assassination attempt in Yeltsin.

List of Honor Citation - HMS Fearless

Royal Unit Citation for Gallantry - ?

Not shown are Mentioned in Dispatches, Wound Stripes or Monarch's Thanks. Also, the Naval Expert Shooter ribbon is missing - does this lapse?

Oh my, you, and Honor have been quite busy! I appreciate the effort. I started out to do the same thing with all of the main characters. Silly, ambitious little pea was me. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Tue May 20, 2014 8:01 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:I hope we get to see her receive the Star of Grayson in the movie.

Perfect excuse to rip off A New Hope's ending, down to Nimitz roaring the Steadholders into applauding. :P
Post by John Prigent   » Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

Does anyone else remember the cartoon (I think it was in New Yorker?) of a Private with a chest-full of medal ribbons saying to an enquirer 'I got this one for manning the Times Square recruiting booth'?

Cheers

John
Post by WLBjork   » Tue May 20, 2014 8:29 am

WLBjork
Commander

John Prigent wrote:Does anyone else remember the cartoon (I think it was in New Yorker?) of a Private with a chest-full of medal ribbons saying to an enquirer 'I got this one for manning the Times Square recruiting booth'?

Cheers

John

I prefer Captain Bertorelli (sp?), the Italian Captain in 'Allo 'Allo "This-a one is for service in-a Abssynia. This-a one is for service in-a Greece. This-a one is for servicing-a Fiats." :D

I love youtube - here's the clip: http://youtu.be/SdsKz_0JcQk

P.s Cthia, just found a new reference in IEH to Saganami Cross, so edited previous post.
Post by B9Lurker   » Tue May 20, 2014 9:51 am

B9Lurker
BuNine

WLBjork wrote:Been trying to amuse myself with trying to remember or work out Honor's awards myself.

The angle and size of the ones shown in HOS are tricky to make out. However, my analysis is (first awards):

Havenite Operational Service Medal - First Hancock (they weren't at war prior to this)

Saganami Cross - for sacrificing Price Adrian? *edit: can't be, this was awarded sometime around promotion to Commodore, listed in IEH*

*This ribbon unclear, looks purple with a blue centre stripe, not listed? - ??? (I guess this is supposed to be the Sphinx Cross)

Not shown are Mentioned in Dispatches, Wound Stripes or Monarch's Thanks. Also, the Naval Expert Shooter ribbon is missing - does this lapse?

WLBjork, that's a very good guess! :)

Ok I'm not going to give away how Honor won most of these medals, but I can name them and give the Official resaon for awarding each award.

First, the term "Award" includes all Orders, Honours (Honors in the Honorverse) Decorations and Medals.
Honors and Orders are the same thing generally. A Monarchical Chivalric Order to be correct in SKM/SEM terms.
Decorations are for Gallantry (In the face of the enemy) and Bravery (Not in the face of the enemy).[They can be in the form of a cross, star or medallion.]
Medals are for meritorious service, long service, campaigns, coronation etc. [They are in form of a pentagon or medallion]

Ok from the top of Honor's uniform lefthand side;

six hyper stars- a gold star for each hyper-capable warship command.

Parliamentary Medal of Valor- Highest gallantry award for both enlisted and officers.

Star of Grayson- Highest award Grayson. (Special warrant from the Queen to wear after PMV, normally foreign awards are placed last, after all other SKM awards, regardless of its importance in the foreign nation).

Knight Grand Cross of the Order of King Roger- Can be for both gallantry or long meritorious/distinguished service.

Manticore Cross with cluster- Second highest award for gallantry for officers.

Saganami Cross- Third highest award for gallantry for officers.

Order of Gallantry- fourth highest award for gallantry for officers.

Distinguished Service Order with cluster- Outstanding leadership in combat.

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal with two clusters- Awarded for gallantry OR bravery in special conditions i.e War games.

Survivor's Cross- For surviving a destoryed warship in combat.

Conspicuous Service Medal with two clusters- the highest meritorious service award. (Meritorious service is doing a job above and beyond in your non-combat role).

Fleet Exellence Award with three "battle E's"- Top of the Squardon/Fleet in Fleet exercises.

Prisoner of War Medal- This one is obvious :)

Silesian Anti-Piracy Campaign Medal- For deployment in Silesia on anti-piracy patrol (a set minimum time, gallantry award or combat gets you this award).

Havenite War Campaign Medal- For First Manticore/Havenite War.

Havenite Operational Service Medal- For Second Manticore/Havenite War.

Manticoran Combat Action Medal- For seeing combat.

Manticoran Service Medal- Long service medal.

Space Service Deployment Medal- First Hyper translation in uniform.

Navy High Expert Pistol Medal-This one is obvious as well :D

Right side under Honor's name badge:

List of Honor Citation- Awarded to crew aboard ship when ciation was won.

Royal Unit Citation for Gallantry- Awarded for gallantry to the crew aboard ship when ciation was won.

Sleeve of Honor's Uniform:

Monarch's Thanks with four clusters- Personal thanks of the monarch.

Mentioned in Dispatches- lowest gallantry/bravery award.Can be awarded for both, and only one stripe is ever worn on the sleeve regardless of number won.

Three Wound Stripes- Obvious!! :lol:

I hope that helps, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me or ask on the board :D.

Scott B.
Post by lyonheart   » Tue May 20, 2014 10:42 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi B9Lurker,

Thank you very, very much.

Really.

L

B9Lurker wrote:

Saganami Cross - for sacrificing Price Adrian? *edit: can't be, this was awarded sometime around promotion to Commodore, listed in IEH*

Ok I'm not going to give away how Honor won most of these medals, but I can name them and give the Official resaon for awarding each award.

First, the term "Award" includes all Orders, Honours (Honors in the Honorverse) Decorations and Medals.
Honors and Orders are the same thing generally. A Monarchical Chivalric Order to be correct in SKM/SEM terms.
Decorations are for Gallantry (In the face of the enemy) and Bravery (Not in the face of the enemy).[They can be in the form of a cross, star or medallion.]
Medals are for meritorious service, long service, campaigns, coronation etc. [They are in form of a pentagon or medallion]

Parliamentary Medal of Valor- Highest gallantry award for both enlisted and officers.

Star of Grayson- Highest award Grayson. (Special warrant from the Queen to wear after PMV, normally foreign awards are placed last, after all other SKM awards, regardless of its importance in the foreign nation).

Knight Grand Cross of the Order of King Roger- Can be for both gallantry or long meritorious/distinguished service.

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal with two clusters- Awarded for gallantry OR bravery in special conditions i.e War games.

Conspicuous Service Medal with two clusters- the highest meritorious service award. (Meritorious service is doing a job above and beyond in your non-combat role).

Fleet Exellence Award with three "battle E's"- Top of the Squardon/Fleet in Fleet exercises.

Silesian Anti-Piracy Campaign Medal- For deployment in Silesia on anti-piracy patrol (a set minimum time, gallantry award or combat gets you this award).

Royal Unit Citation for Gallantry- Awarded for gallantry to the crew aboard ship when ciation was won.

Mentioned in Dispatches- lowest gallantry/bravery award.Can be awarded for both, and only one stripe is ever worn on the sleeve regardless of number won.

I hope that helps, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me or ask on the board :D.

Scott B.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Amaroq   » Tue May 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Is there a distinction for what type of action/event gets a Monarch's Thanks vs a higher medal for valor?
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by WLBjork   » Tue May 20, 2014 5:56 pm

WLBjork
Commander

B9Lurker wrote:

Scott B.

Aha, 'twas those accursed repeat clusters that kept throwing me off. Not sure why I didn't think of those.

I'm going to guess that the Survivors Cross actually requires a higher value of "destroyed" than War Maiden and CL Fearless suffered, putting the event later in the series - to HAE.

Not sure why I didn't think about the two "Havenite" medals being for the 2 wars - that's a definite d'oh moment.

Manticoran Service is for long service - darn, that's not how I'd read that either.

Return to Honorverse