Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests

Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys
Post by cthia   » Mon May 19, 2014 10:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Honorverse medals. http://www.davidweber.net/pictures/inde ... ersemedals

This weekend I attended this year's airshow at MCAS Cherry Point, Havelock. NC's largest 3-day event. Being a large military family it's a tradition with us. I noticed a lot of top brass there it seems, with all the medals and honors bestowed. Talk about blinging. Gees. It got me to thinking about Honor and how she must look with all of her medals, awards and honors. I mean, she has just about all of the ABC's.

Lady Dame Honor Stephanie Alexander-Harrington, PMV, SG, GCR, MC*, SC, OG, DSO*, CGM**, Steadholder Harrington, Duchess Harrington, Countess White Haven, was a citizen of the Star Kingdom and Star Empire of Manticore and the Protectorate of Grayson, and an officer in the Royal Manticoran Navy and Grayson Space Navy.
Here's my problem. I can find a listing of what everyone has, by way of medals. The wiki is fairly good and useful about that. But finding why everyone received each medal is another of our copper-plated bitches it seems. And I'm digging all the way to China again. Is there a convenient listing somewhere labelling recipients of medals and giving reference why they were awarded? For instance, I cannot find why Michelle Henke was awarded the CGM or most of the others awarded the CGM. It'd be nice to have in one convenient comprehensive place all of the awards and reasons.

An aside:
con·spic·u·ous
adjective
standing out so as to be clearly visible.
"he was very thin, with a conspicuous Adam's apple"
attracting notice or attention.
"he showed conspicuous bravery"

I think everyone involved with the assault on Denver Summervale's chalet should be given an off-the-books ICGM. InConspicuous CGM.

The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal CGM

The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal was a prestigous decoration awarded by the Star Kingdom of Manticore to members of the Manticoran military or the Manticoran Alliance.
It was awarded to officers and enlisted crew for conspicuous bravery.

Lieutenant Travis Long was nominated for the CGM for his conduct in the battle against the Volsung Mercenaries, but the family of Admiral Carlton Locatelli used its influence to keep him from receiving it. (HHA6.2: ACTA)

Honor Harrington received the CGM for her role in saving the lives of crewmembers aboard the superdreadnought HMS Manticore during an explosion in her forward power room. (HH1)

Clusters Edit
The addition of Clusters indicated that the CGM had been awarded to an individual more than once. (HH7)
Known recipients Edit
Lieutenant Honor Harrington, RMN
Captain (JG) Michael Oversteegen, RMN
Midshipwoman Abigail Hearns, GSN
Electronics Technician Second Class Ginger Lewis, RMN
Captain Michelle Henke, RMN
Chief Warrant Officer Horace Harkness, RMN
Senior Chief Petty Officer Aubrey Wanderman RMN
Rear Admiral Roger Winton RMN

Last edited by cthia on Mon May 19, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Medals, Awards and Elizabeth's toys
Post by SWM   » Mon May 19, 2014 11:10 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Didn't Maxxq post a picture once of a uniform with all or most of Honor's medals on it?
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon May 19, 2014 12:10 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

SWM wrote:Didn't Maxxq post a picture once of a uniform with all or most of Honor's medals on it?

T'weren't me.

Not that I recall, anyway.
Post by SWM   » Mon May 19, 2014 12:46 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

No, I was mistaken. It was B9Lurker, and he was pointing to the sneak preview images of the pictures that were later published in House of Steel. Several uniforms with full regalia were depicted, but not Honor's uniform. B9Lurker identified all the fruit salad on those uniforms, though (including Babcock). His post is at:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4307&p=99217&hilit=gallantry+merit#p99217
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by B9Lurker   » Mon May 19, 2014 12:47 pm

B9Lurker
BuNine

cthia wrote:Honorverse medals. http://www.davidweber.net/pictures/inde ... ersemedals

This weekend I attended this year's airshow at MCAS Cherry Point, Havelock. NC's largest 3-day event. Being a large military family it's a tradition with us. I noticed a lot of top brass there it seems, with all the medals and honors bestowed. Talk about blinging. Gees. It got me to thinking about Honor and how she must look with all of her medals, awards and honors. I mean, she has just about all of the ABC's.

Lady Dame Honor Stephanie Alexander-Harrington, PMV, SG, GCR, MC*, SC, OG, DSO*, CGM**, Steadholder Harrington, Duchess Harrington, Countess White Haven, was a citizen of the Star Kingdom and Star Empire of Manticore and the Protectorate of Grayson, and an officer in the Royal Manticoran Navy and Grayson Space Navy.
Here's my problem. I can find a listing of what everyone has, by way of medals. The wiki is fairly good and useful about that. But finding why everyone received each medal is another of our copper-plated bitches it seems. And I'm digging all the way to China again. Is there a convenient listing somewhere labelling recipients of medals and giving reference why they were awarded? For instance, I cannot find why Michelle Henke was awarded the CGM or most of the others awarded the CGM. It'd be nice to have in one convenient comprehensive place all of the awards and reasons.

An aside:
con·spic·u·ous
adjective
standing out so as to be clearly visible.
"he was very thin, with a conspicuous Adam's apple"
attracting notice or attention.
"he showed conspicuous bravery"

I think everyone involved with the assault on Denver Summervale's chalet should be given an off-the-books ICGM. Inconspicuous CGM.

The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal CGM

The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal was a prestigous decoration awarded by the Star Kingdom of Manticore to members of the Manticoran military or the Manticoran Alliance.
It was awarded to officers and enlisted crew for conspicuous bravery.

Lieutenant Travis Long was nominated for the CGM for his conduct in the battle against the Volsung Mercenaries, but the family of Admiral Carlton Locatelli used its influence to keep him from receiving it. (HHA6.2: ACTA)

Honor Harrington received the CGM for her role in saving the lives of crewmembers aboard the superdreadnought HMS Manticore during an explosion in her forward power room. (HH1)

Clusters Edit
The addition of Clusters indicated that the CGM had been awarded to an individual more than once. (HH7)
Known recipients Edit
Lieutenant Honor Harrington, RMN
Captain (JG) Michael Oversteegen, RMN
Midshipwoman Abigail Hearns, GSN
Electronics Technician Second Class Ginger Lewis, RMN
Captain Michelle Henke, RMN
Chief Warrant Officer Horace Harkness, RMN
Senior Chief Petty Officer Aubrey Wanderman RMN
Rear Admiral Roger Winton RMN

Ok All Awards, Decorations and Medals is my speciality :). I designed those awards, and Thomas Marrone did the art work.

The HoS has the most up to date picture of her "ribbon rack".

The Honorverse Wiki's post nominal letters for Honor are correct as I edited that part. Of course Honor has many more awards than the post nominals show, as meritorious service, campaign, coronation, markswomanship awards to name a few, are not granted post nominals letters.

As to how and why they are awarded? That is up to RFC to decide if he wants to share :D But I can say with some certainty, that most awards will never have an explaination, just to darn many! :lol:

But I am in the stages of designing an Awards Citation Scroll for BuNine, but at this stage not sure who's award it will be, and when it will be released.

Scott B.
Post by cthia   » Mon May 19, 2014 1:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Honorverse medals. http://www.davidweber.net/pictures/inde ... ersemedals

B9Lurker wrote:
Ok All Awards, Decorations and Medals is my speciality :). I designed those awards, and Thomas Marrone did the art work.

The HoS has the most up to date picture of her "ribbon rack".

The Honorverse Wiki's post nominal letters for Honor are correct as I edited that part. Of course Honor has many more awards than the post nominals show, as meritorious service, campaign, coronation, markswomanship awards to name a few, are not granted post nominals letters.

As to how and why they are awarded? That is up to RFC to decide if he wants to share :D But I can say with some certainty, that most awards will never have an explaination, just to darn many! :lol:

But I am in the stages of designing an Awards Citation Scroll for BuNine, but at this stage not sure who's award it will be, and when it will be released.

Scott B.

Nice info. Thanks. It saved me from a load of work. I'd love to see your current project when it's complete.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 pm

saber964
Admiral

The awarding of decoration can be highly subjective and fraught with injustices. But usually when a ship or unit is in battle the CO can recommend or be authorized to award lesser decorations. The awarding of lessor decorations is based on the highest award given un less there is a compelling reason to award a higher award to a particular individual. For example if a ships captain is awarded a Navy Cross he is authorized to recommend a set number of lesser decorations. ie 2-4 Silver Stars and 6-8 Bronze Stars. During WWII a recon B-17 bomber was IIRC awarded 2 Medals of Honor, 8 Distinguished Service Crosses, 2 Distinguish Flying Crosses, and 8 Purple Hearts.
Post by Direwolf18   » Mon May 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Honestly if Honor wasn't a genetically engineered super human she wouldn't be able to stand with all the actual medals on her chest instead of ribbons. At the very least she would have to ask for an honorary back brace to go along with all the shinnies from Elizabeth.
Post by cthia   » Mon May 19, 2014 8:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:Honestly if Honor wasn't a genetically engineered super human she wouldn't be able to stand with all the actual medals on her chest instead of ribbons. At the very least she would have to ask for an honorary back brace to go along with all the shinnies from Elizabeth.

:lol: Exactly what I was thinking at the airshow, watching all of the decorated top brass. I immediately thought of Honor. Good thing she wears her hair short, as she needs all of that would be time to don all of her medals and ribbons. If she doesn't retire soon, she's going to have to consider putting them on her back, or start them down her pant leg.

I hope we get to see her receive the Star of Grayson in the movie.

Post by WLBjork   » Tue May 20, 2014 5:14 am

WLBjork
Commander

Been trying to amuse myself with trying to remember or work out Honor's awards myself.

The angle and size of the ones shown in HOS are tricky to make out. However, my analysis is (first awards):

Manticoran Service Medal - Midshipman's cruise

Space Service Deployment Medal - Midshipman's Cruise

Queen Elizabeth III Coronation Medal - this one is obvious!

Havenite War Campaign Medal - no later than IEH

Havenite Operational Service Medal - First Hancock (they weren't at war prior to this)

Manticoran Combat Action Medal - Midshipman's cruise

Fleet Excellence Award - wargames with HMS Hawkwing

Prisoner of War Medal - Hades

Silesian Anti-Piracy Campaign - Midshipman's cruise

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal - rescuing the crew on HMS Manticore

Survivor's Cross - Midshipman's cruise?

Conspicuous Service Medal - ?

Saganami Cross - for sacrificing Price Adrian? *edit: can't be, this was awarded sometime around promotion to Commodore, listed in IEH*

Order of Gallantry - either First Basilisk or Second Yeltsin

Distingushed Service Order - presumably First Hancock

Manticoran Cross - First Basilisk

Order of King Roger - HOTQ

*This ribbon unclear, looks purple with a blue centre stripe, not listed? - ??? (I guess this is supposed to be the Sphinx Cross)

Parliamentary Medal of Valor - The assassination attempt in Yeltsin.

List of Honor Citation - HMS Fearless

Royal Unit Citation for Gallantry - ?

Not shown are Mentioned in Dispatches, Wound Stripes or Monarch's Thanks. Also, the Naval Expert Shooter ribbon is missing - does this lapse?
Last edited by WLBjork on Tue May 20, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Honorverse