Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 31 guests

How many missiles can an Invictus control...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
How many missiles can an Invictus control...
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun May 18, 2014 10:26 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

In a single salvo?

Is it the 200 Honor mentions speaking to Filireta?

Is it 400?

Is it 200 Apollo missiles and they each donkey control 8 missiles?

1600 total active missiles plus the 200 Apollo?

400 Apollo and 3200 Mk23's?

From one ship using the Keyhole II platforms.
Post by Hutch   » Sun May 18, 2014 10:55 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

That's...actually an rather interesting question and I am not sure that there is textev for it (I leave it to others better schooled than I to show me my error).

Going back in history, we know the Gryphon (last of the non-Pod SD's) had a broadside of 37 missiles and each chase armament had nine launchers, giving us 92 tubes. Figure at least 50% redundancy, and that would be 138 controls.

So having 200 would be reasonable for an Invictus.

And I would think they would be able to control 200 Apollo missiles, giving one ship the ability to throw a salvo of 1,600 missiles (8 per control unit).

Of course, that would require rolling and positioning 200 pods, and even with the loadouts on the Invictus, that would expend their firepower in about five salvos....which doesn't seem logical--I mean, yes, you can blow the heck out of things, but if there is anything left after those five salvos, you have to cut and run.

But perhaps I am wrong--looking for other and perhaps more informed comments.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Re: How many missiles can an Invictus control...
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sun May 18, 2014 11:14 am

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Hutch wrote:That's...actually an rather interesting question and I am not sure that there is textev for it (I leave it to others better schooled than I to show me my error).

Going back in history, we know the Gryphon (last of the non-Pod SD's) had a broadside of 37 missiles and each chase armament had nine launchers, giving us 92 tubes. Figure at least 50% redundancy, and that would be 138 controls.

So having 200 would be reasonable for an Invictus.

And I would think they would be able to control 200 Apollo missiles, giving one ship the ability to throw a salvo of 1,600 missiles (8 per control unit).

Of course, that would require rolling and positioning 200 pods, and even with the loadouts on the Invictus, that would expend their firepower in about five salvos....which doesn't seem logical--I mean, yes, you can blow the heck out of things, but if there is anything left after those five salvos, you have to cut and run.

But perhaps I am wrong--looking for other and perhaps more informed comments.

According to House of Steel, the Saganami-C class heavy cruiser can have "full control of up to three stacked broadsides". With each broadside having 20 launchers, a stacked broadside therefore has 40 launchers, and three stacked broadsides means 120 missile salvos. So, the Saganami-C can fire and control (presumably) 120 missiles in a salvo, perhaps more.

This would match the description of the Battle of Spindle, where "The twelve ships of Cruiser Squadron 94 and Cruiser Division 96.1 fired just over fifteen hundred missile pods at Task Force 496, Solarian League Navy." That indicates the Saganami-C maxes out at 125 pods.

Aivars Terekhov said that any two Grand Alliance SDs could have controlled every missile fired at Spindle. This isn't all that surprising, given the Invictus has more than 18 times the mass of the Saganami-C. He was probably understating it, at least when it comes to the Invictus, I have no idea the maximum capabilities of a Havenite SD.

But, conservatively, it's safe to assume that the Invictus can control 750 missiles at a time, under ideal conditions.

With Apollo, this means a single Invictus can fire off 6000 missile salvos minimum, under ideal conditions.

(It also probably means that an Invictus has an absolute maximum somewhere short of 1500 control links... which makes sense, given they only carry 1074 pods.)

Last edited by Crown Loyalist on Sun May 18, 2014 11:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sun May 18, 2014 11:31 am

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Slightly different logic, which I think is probably not as good as the above:

The Star Knight class CA had a broadside of 12 missile launchers, and 3 chasers. That's 30 launchers. I'll say the ship had a 50% redundancy against combat damage, so she would have had 45 control links.

Star Knight - 45 control links.
Saganami-C - 125 control links.

Using the same logic for the Gryphon and Invictus, which are basically same generation ships, and assuming that the Invictus is improved in the same proportion:

Gryphon - 138 control links.
Invictus - 383 control links.

But, this doesn't account for the fact that the Invictus isn't a SD, it's a SD(P). I'd say this is an absolute minimum for the capabilities of an Invictus, but my bet would be the 750 links, 6000 missiles number is closer to accurate. 383 would probably be the number for a SD(L).
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun May 18, 2014 11:58 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:That's...actually an rather interesting question and I am not sure that there is textev for it (I leave it to others better schooled than I to show me my error).
The 'Keyhole platform survivability' pearl tells us that one Keyhole II can control missiles from multiple SD(P)s.

But it doesn't tell us how many, or how deeply they can stack. (Since logically if it can control a 6 ship squadron's quad-stacked launch, it could control 2 squadrons worth of double-stacked pods, or 4 squadrons single-stacking)

I also wonder if there's a limit on how many missiles can be FL controlled from a single wall of battle. Basically is there a limit on the number of grav 'ripples' you can send from a relatively compact spot before they start 'stepping on' each other; and mutual interference prevents the signals from being readable.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun May 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

We know, from the Battle Of Spindle, that the 480,000 ton Saganami-C has 128 missile control channels. Assign each one to an Apollo command missile, and that's 1,024 attack or EW missiles. Thus, 12 Saganami-C cruisers hit Crandall's fleet with 12,288 missiles. Boom.

Invictus is about 8 1/2 million tons. That's a ship over 17 times the size of a Saganami-C that has been specifically designed to launch and control huge salvos of missiles. It carries two Keyhole-2 devices. Why would it have less than 2,000 control channels? I'd say it has between 2,000 and 4,000, or 16,000 to 32,000 missiles with Apollo.

When Filareta walked into The Solly Ass-Kicking At Manticore, just 2 or 3 Invictus SD(P)'s would have outgunned his whole fleet. Pods and all. Admiral Harrington was...understating her ships' capabilities. Just a bit.
-----------------
Bring out yer dead!
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sun May 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Imaginos1892 wrote:We know, from the Battle Of Spindle, that the 480,000 ton Saganami-C has 128 missile control channels. Assign each one to an Apollo command missile, and that's 1,024 attack or EW missiles. Thus, 12 Saganami-C cruisers hit Crandall's fleet with 12,288 missiles. Boom.

Invictus is about 8 1/2 million tons. That's a ship over 17 times the size of a Saganami-C that has been specifically designed to launch and control huge salvos of missiles. It carries two Keyhole-2 devices. Why would it have less than 2,000 control channels? I'd say it has between 2,000 and 4,000, or 16,000 to 32,000 missiles with Apollo.

When Filareta walked into The Solly Ass-Kicking At Manticore, just 2 or 3 Invictus SD(P)'s would have outgunned his whole fleet. Pods and all. Admiral Harrington was...understating her ships' capabilities. Just a bit.
-----------------
Bring out yer dead!

The Invictus would have less than 2000 control channels because the Invictus cannot carry much more than 1000 pods. Constructing an Invictus with that many control channels is wasting space, because they can't use that capability in most circumstances.
Post by J6P   » Sun May 18, 2014 4:30 pm

J6P
Captain (Junior Grade)

Harrington A is over 4000 before Apollo.

Read the battle of Elric in Ashes of Victory.

Invictus will be the same or more.
Post by Potato   » Sun May 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Potato
Captain of the List

That does not sound correct at all. There were only 4900 missiles fired in the first place, controlled by 3 SD(P)s, 2 SDs, 16 BCs, 10 CAs, 12 CLS, and 8 DDs.
Post by J6P   » Sun May 18, 2014 4:48 pm

J6P
Captain (Junior Grade)

Potato wrote:That does not sound correct at all. There were only 4900 missiles fired in the first place, controlled by 3 SD(P)s, 2 SDs, 16 BCs, 10 CAs, 12 CLS, and 8 DDs.

And text states exactly, 1 SDP controlled them all. Even if it is a typo, it would be 3 SDP's controlling them all. Over 1500 in either case.

Either way,

A LOT

Return to Honorverse