Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 98 guests

CLACs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: CLACs
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun May 18, 2014 11:49 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:The only group we have been shown that is working with new frigates is Torch. These were designed, built and ,for all intents and purposes, donated to Torch my the Hoffman Cartel.

This is a very wealthy person with enough resources and a very deep feeling about and commitment to the Anti-Slavery movement. Klaus has a number of reasons for creating this very potent little hyper-capable warship class.
Don't forget, while they ended up going to Torch, Hauptman originally built them for the Anti-Slavery League. It was (if I didn't get my dates mixed up) at least designed, if not necessarily laid down or completed prior to the independence of Torch. So they weren't designed with any system defense role in mind, they're pure slaver hunters.

Now as the most modern unit in Anti-Slavery League / Audubon Ballroom hands they were 'inherited' by Torch and put to use as, among other things, training ships to build up a sufficient trainer base to handle real warships.
kzt wrote:The fact that 2nd fleet's SD(P)s killed something like 90%-95% of the RMN LACs that closed on them and took no damage in the process is a kind of significant data point.

Yeah, they did a lot of damage to the screen, but they just died against the wallers.
Just don't try to sweep GSN or RMN screen with LACs; not even with Shrikes/Ferrets.

Having full up starships able to spit anti-LAC Vipers back in their face really takes the wind out of an offensive LAC sweep. :shock:
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon May 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Now you tell us, sir!

I do have more gnats to strain.
I was thinking of officers on the bridge,
looking at their crt screens,
and reporting aloud what they saw on them.
"Sea-lacks over there, ten million klicks to port, sir!"

But also on a space station:
"Sea-lack approaching docking bay."

Ain't that gnatty? :lol:

Howard T. Map-addict (aka Naughty Moose)

runsforcelery wrote:below

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:I also say "lack" and "clack."

When sending messages in battle, speed is important.
One-syllable Clack is faster than See-Lac.
Besides, See-Lac might be heard as "See The Lac."

So Lac, Clack, and Co-Lac.

HTM

I'm afraid the official version is "sea-lack."

Frankly, I can't think of any circumstances under
which someone would say "see the LAC" or "see a LAC"
and have it confused with someone saying "C-LAC"
simply because people aren't going to be
seeing LACs with their naked eyes
(or even most optical sensors) at engagement ranges.
Bit of gnat-straining here, I think. :)
Post by Reader Bob   » Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

Just wunderin, is the war against SL and Malign going to last long enough for whole new classes of CLAC's and all to be designed, built, and have their sea-trials before the evil ones have met their just deserts? I kind of hope so but would also like the get to the end of the story about a week before I say bye-bye to everything :(
Post by n7axw   » Tue May 20, 2014 6:40 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:Just wunderin, is the war against SL and Malign going to last long enough for whole new classes of CLAC's and all to be designed, built, and have their sea-trials before the evil ones have met their just deserts? I kind of hope so but would also like the get to the end of the story about a week before I say bye-bye to everything :(

Are you ailing?? :mrgreen:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Direwolf18   » Tue May 20, 2014 9:01 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Yea... I know RFC has given us his official word, but I'm not changing at this point. He has commented himself about sailors and marines tendencies to butcher official names to make them easier to say. (i.e high angle guns in safehold are simply called angles)

Going to put myself in that second category.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue May 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

First out friends have to learn how to detect Spider drive ships and then they have to discover the actual purpose of the not-yet-formed RF and THEN they have to find the secret wormhole network and, of course, Darius.

Just for fun, can you imagine a Grayson fleet showing up at Darius with a compeat loadout of SD( P )s, CLACs and a workind detection system against Spider drives? . First they clear the sky of any Alignment ship and then they hammer ALL of the Darius industrial infrastructued DOWN onto the planet. You want a Test, we'll give you a Test---go ahead, try to send ANYTHING into orbit for the next 200 years. Evolve with that!
Post by KNick   » Tue May 20, 2014 9:14 pm

KNick
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Reader Bob wrote:Just wunderin, is the war against SL and Malign going to last long enough for whole new classes of CLAC's and all to be designed, built, and have their sea-trials before the evil ones have met their just deserts? I kind of hope so but would also like the get to the end of the story about a week before I say bye-bye to everything :(

Are you ailing?? :mrgreen:

Don

Like me, not ailing, just ageing.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by n7axw   » Tue May 20, 2014 11:52 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Hi KNick,

Me too! Just got elected president of the Old Farts Club! :lol:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Re: Honorverse series, the future..?
Post by kzt   » Wed May 21, 2014 12:45 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:
Just for fun, can you imagine a Grayson fleet showing up at Darius with a compeat loadout of SD( P )s, CLACs and a workind detection system against Spider drives? . First they clear the sky of any Alignment ship and then they hammer ALL of the Darius industrial infrastructued DOWN onto the planet. You want a Test, we'll give you a Test---go ahead, try to send ANYTHING into orbit for the next 200 years. Evolve with that!

Sure, can you imagine a MA led fleet of the SL worlds showing up at manticore with 10,000 SDs loaded with millions of FTL controlled missiles?
Post by SYED   » Wed May 21, 2014 2:11 am

SYED
Rear Admiral

Lac might be the easiest ships to build quickly, great for protecting systems at a distance, and these ships are capable of taking on hyper capable units , not those of the wall, but still warships. They do have plenty of spare merchant ships to carry them.
While league warships might now fear their hypercapable units, they would never fear such small units, which will allow lots of traps to be set.

Return to Honorverse