Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Artificial Intelligence

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Artificial Intelligence
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Hello "Pandora's box."
"Battle Cruisers lead the way!"
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cthia wrote:
There is also the safety issue. Creating a true intelligence, devoid of the inconsistencies, weaknesses and shortcomings of man would be akin to creating an intelligence with the efficiency, proficiency and drive of ants. How would we compete and avoid obsolescence?

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:
That is subjective, who is to say the intelligence wouldn't be curious of us? *sorry for the late edit you ninja posted me!*

I agree that it is subjective, and I like that angle on it. I would be willing to bet on that curiosity. Where would that curiosity ultimately lead, after the novelty has worn off and all the data and jury is in on man?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:Hello "Pandora's box."

High-five from Cthia!
Pandora's box or either her footlocker. (borrowed the footlocker bit from my niece :roll: )

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I wont pretend or even try to comment in depth on your later questions, I just don't know. I studied history in school and my skills in programming and the like are far from the ability to actually give sources. But I can say this, we have for as long as we have been "civilized" tried to understand where and how we came to be. I honestly doubt that would change if we ever brought up a true A.I *from the pattern of sentience*. I "suspect" the A.I. would do the same. The A.I. would try to understand where it came from.. and maybe understand us.

It might not though, and thus my Pandora's box comment.
"Battle Cruisers lead the way!"
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:I wont pretend or even try to comment in depth on your later questions, I just don't know. I studied history in school and my skills in programming and the like are far from the ability to actually give sources. But I can say this, we have for as long as we have been "civilized" tried to understand where and how we came to be. I honestly doubt that would change if we ever brought up a true A.I *from the pattern of sentience*. I "suspect" the A.I. would do the same. The A.I. would try to understand where it came from.. and maybe understand us.

It might not though, and thus my Pandora's box comment.

Oh don't worry about the programming skills part. We are proceeding as if AI is achievable.

And I totally agree that your optimistic path is certainly possible. It is why several posts ago I stated that it might be quite wise to impart the idea of a Deity within its programming. Somehow the idea of an AI grounded in faith and Christian values, regardless of one's own beliefs, is less intimidating.

A Confuscious AI sounds welcoming, even...logical.

Post by Annachie   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

But a Spock one sounds more believable. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by DDHvi   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Perhaps I failed to make clear that I have reservations of mankind attempting to create an intelligence. Intelligence implies free will. Free will implies the freedom to become a homicidal maniac. Mankind cannot control itself, how can we hope to create something that will control itself? And what intelligent entity wants to be controlled? If mankind creates an Artificial Intelligence, we will have to use ourselves as a baseline. We will have to teach it everything we know. And what we know ain't shit. Therefore what it will know will be shit. And sooner or later, shit stinks.

True intelligence beget intelligent decisions. Beget intelligent actions. A suicidal, homicidal species (man) is not intelligent. A species that destroys his own planet is not intelligent. Creating a truly intelligent entity, to live and observe mankind's unintelligent nature invites rebellion born of self preservation and logic. If an intelligent machine has to live on Earth do you think it's going to continue watching man destroy its home?

But I think it's a moot point. Because of the Halting Problem.

An aside:
Being a computer professional, I've met many professionals who disbelieve in the concept of a God. Yet they believe in the possibility and even inevitability of true Artificial Intelligence? A phenomena that is intelligent, that thinks for itself is a life form. It's interesting that man has the nerve and audacity to think that at some point he can create life, but that an entity long ago couldn't have beat him to it. ;)

Very good point, with the caveat that the question is not whether we were beat to it, but rather, what is the evidence that we were so beat. Refusal to look at evidence, especially any that disagrees with your ideas, is very extremely handicapping :!:

I've looked at the tuned universe, irreducable complication, low probability of chance production of complex biochemicals; to the extent I can, and conclude we were beat to it. Many will not even look at the Design theory evidence. One current example is the "moonlighting" biochemicals, which may also be an example of irreducable complication.

True statements agree with reality.

False statements disagree with reality.

Fantasy statements do not connect with reality, therefore cannot be true.

To the evidence and to the facts, but be humble enough to realize that the way you organize the facts you know may not be correct.

Translation: every human is wrong somewhere, the problem is how to locate the error.

Note that the idea of being wrong has to assume a reality.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

when it comes to AI, i hope that we get a Bolo type AI. I do love RFC's "Miles to go" story and a machine falling in love with a human is so poetic, (love really does have no boundaries kind of thing)

I expect us to get an dahk type (as in we made a smart computer that then evolves into a sentient self aware AI). most realistic i think. plus that way we might actually survive it's awaking.

am very afraid that we will end up with skynet. There are days when i look at what we are doing to our fellow humans and everything else on this planet and half wonder if it doesn't have the right idea!
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:48 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

cthia wrote:And I totally agree that your optimistic path is certainly possible. It is why several posts ago I stated that it might be quite wise to impart the idea of a Deity within its programming. Somehow the idea of an AI grounded in faith and Christian values, regardless of one's own beliefs, is less intimidating.

Speaking as someone without Christian beliefs, an artificial intelligence with an idea of Deity in its programming, much less grounded in faith and Christian values, is not less intimidating than an AI without them. It is in fact stark raving screaming trying to hide terrifying. Nightmare fodder.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:52 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

cthia wrote:Oh don't worry about the programming skills part. We are proceeding as if AI is achievable.

And I totally agree that your optimistic path is certainly possible. It is why several posts ago I stated that it might be quite wise to impart the idea of a Deity within its programming. Somehow the idea of an AI grounded in faith and Christian values, regardless of one's own beliefs, is less intimidating.

No, it is extremely horrifying.

Anyone stupid enough to program "god"(or "christian values" whatever that actually means, which of the thousands of versions were you referring to?) into an AI is someone who needs the Garfield treatment ASAP. Along with the AI.

Garfield treatment btw is based on an old comic, it basically refers to "dragged into an alley and shot". Just to be clear.

Just as a comparison, Hitler and Stalin were two people firmly entrenched into "christian values". Especially Stalin who started his career training to become a priest.

Without the cultural norms mitigating, "christian values" or "deiism" is extreme lunacy to enter into an AI with any kind of power.

Return to Honorverse