Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Artificial Intelligence

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Artificial Intelligence
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sat May 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cralkhi wrote:OK, all the evil overlord stuff is one thing, but what does the actual cloning gain you? There's still no advantage over natural birth.

The thing is that cloning makes no practical difference, so there is no real use for it.

Look up eugenics... and try not to hate humanity when you do so.
"Battle Cruisers lead the way!"
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If true intelligence is ever realized via artificial means would it remain correct to call it 'artificial?'

True intelligence is intelligence, isn't it?

At that point, we would owe the new intelligence the same consideration as any other human, politically correctness...

Artificially Created Intelligence. AI->ACI.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:37 am

Dieu_Le_Fera

I would say yes, it would remain artificial until it starts to procreate on its own. That would be kind of scary in the classic trope of A.I. in Sci-Fi. I would be surprised if we would ever allow it, but that could be a whole "nother" debate that would include if it is ethical for us to genetically engineer animals to become "sentient", or in better terms to "uplift" another species.
Post by Hutch   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:46 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:I would say yes, it would remain artificial until it starts to procreate on its own. That would be kind of scary in the classic trope of A.I. in Sci-Fi. I would be surprised if we would ever allow it, but that could be a whole "nother" debate that would include if it is ethical for us to genetically engineer animals to become "sentient", or in better terms to "uplift" another species.

(and also in response to cthia's post immediately preceeeding yours).

The on-line Cartoon "Schlock Mercenary", while more comedy/fantasy that 'hard' SF, does postulate a civilization with "intelligent" AI and 'uplifted' elephants, chimps and gorillas, and portrays a society that has adjusted to this (along with space-faring aliens and...others.

It is a much different place that the MWW universe, but it seems to work (in fits and starts...)

OK, unpaid advertisement over.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:I would say yes, it would remain artificial until it starts to procreate on its own. That would be kind of scary in the classic trope of A.I. in Sci-Fi. I would be surprised if we would ever allow it, but that could be a whole "nother" debate that would include if it is ethical for us to genetically engineer animals to become "sentient", or in better terms to "uplift" another species.

Would procreation include one-upping man and building a 'better' version of AI?

Yes, I agree. There is a gamut of ethical and moral considerations entangled within that silicone jungle.

Edit:
There is also the safety issue. Creating a true intelligence, devoid of the inconsistencies, weaknesses and shortcomings of man would be akin to creating an intelligence with the efficiency, proficiency and drive of ants. How would we compete and avoid obsolescence?

If only the strong survive. Man would die.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:08 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera

Hutch wrote:The on-line Cartoon "Schlock Mercenary", while more comedy/fantasy that 'hard' SF, does postulate a civilization with "intelligent" AI and 'uplifted' elephants, chimps and gorillas, and portrays a society that has adjusted to this (along with space-faring aliens and...others.

"Uplifted" Elephants?! I would honestly hate to see their protective mentality when it comes to their young be brought to the for-front along with their sentience. I doubt even "uplifting" could get rid of that. On second thought.. it might do us some good...

There is also the safety issue. Creating a true intelligence, devoid of the inconsistencies, weaknesses and shortcomings of man would be akin to creating an intelligence with the efficiency, proficiency and drive of ants. How would we compete and avoid obsolescence?

That is subjective, who is to say the intelligence wouldn't be curious of us? *sorry for the late edit you ninja posted me!*
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:

(and also in response to cthia's post immediately preceeeding yours).

The on-line Cartoon "Schlock Mercenary", while more comedy/fantasy that 'hard' SF, does postulate a civilization with "intelligent" AI and 'uplifted' elephants, chimps and gorillas, and portrays a society that has adjusted to this (along with space-faring aliens and...others.

It is a much different place that the MWW universe, but it seems to work (in fits and starts...)

OK, unpaid advertisement over.

I wasn't aware of this cartoon Hutch. It seems quite fascinating, what I have read from its site. Thanks, right down my alley. Strrrrike!

And the author has been nominated for four Hugo awards!

Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

When you say allow what do you mean, specifically?

1. Allow the creation of a true AI?
2. Allow that true AI to procreate?

Both are excursions inside that ethical and moral jungle.

Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:34 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera

cthia wrote:When you say allow what do you mean, specifically?

Allow the AI to procreate.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:
cthia wrote:When you say allow what do you mean, specifically?

Allow the AI to procreate.

If it's true intelligence would we have the right? Even God gave man free will.

That bag of ethical and moral worms are squirming. And I fear the AI would feel sleighted.

Slavery all over again? Only thing changed are the organs.

Return to Honorverse