Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Artificial Intelligence

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Artificial Intelligence
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat May 24, 2014 3:11 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

cthia wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:Let me say one thing: two thousand years.

A large part of today's problems are due to widespread use of a language that's insecure by design (pointer arithmetic that has unrestricted access to memory) and an operating system that violates the most basic principles of security (superuser, anyone?)

Forgive me John but this cracks me up. I am ROTF. You see, I remember a time. I was not much more than a kid, when the masses screamed "Give us more access to the machine!" Personal computers were not personal computers if the person owning the computer had limited access to the capabilities of the machine. There were loads of professional as well as hobbyist programmers early on in the computer industry, but their potential genius was hampered, even thwarted with limited access to the true capabilities of the hardware. Enter Atari. The power placed into the hands of the end user was unprecedented. Albeit through machine language, total access was given to the system. The Atari featured an Amy chip. A synthesizer chip which allowed, by direct manipulation of pointers, total access to the chip. The industry saw Ataris flying off the shelves. I got one too! Atari's marked the beginning of incredible musical composition programs. Artists, musical groups, composers had Ataris center stage driving their creativity, rivaling systems costing thousands of dollars. Companies wanted to license the chip. Other personal computers followed suit (Commodore) by allowing access to more and more memory locations. Although some methods employed were cumbersome at best. i.e. Peeks and pokes, because of an unavailability of low-level machine languages/compilers.

As long as you're claiming some level of expertise from a position of anonymity where nobody can check up on you, I'll just say that my first paid job in the computer industry was in 1965, in a shop that had an IBM 705, 1401 and 1410.

My name is exactly what it says on my userid, I'm currently living in Albuquerque and the other person (people) on this forum who live here can undoubtedly find me at the next Bubonicon if they care to.

Would you like to give us your real name and your credentials so we can see whether you know what you're talking about?

I don't care in the least what hobbyists who played around with early microprocessors did. My concern on this forum is science and technology in the Honorverse, which is set 2000 years in the future.

cthia wrote:Realize that pointer arithmetic is directly related to computer design. Can we say 'registers?'

As you might suspect from the above, yes, I know registers. I've programmed computers in assembler all the way from that IBM 705 I mentioned through fairly late models of the IBM mainframes.

cthia wrote:Also, one can virtually disavow the use of pointer arithmetic within programming projects but doing so would add complexity and size to efforts. 'Loop unwinding' comes to mind.

If that's the case, why do head-to-head comparisons on code size between, say C and C++ on the one hand, and Google's Go language or Python on the other show that the latter take about half the number of lines of code to do the same job - and Go is about as fast as C, given the level of compiler optimization.

cthia wrote:As far as superuser advantages/disadvantages. First off, the superuser program in a Windows vs. Linux environment are completely different beasts. Superuser capability was something added on to Windows as an afterthought. It was designed with Linux from the outset. SU is a significant part of the reason that Linux is so secure. Without it, many capabilities of the environment as well as security itself would be little more than a pipe dream. The problem comes with less than knowledgeable use of su. You have no idea how many people log in to the su account just to play games, surf, etc.

Really? How do you know whether I have any idea how many people log into superuser to play games, etc.? Are you telepathic?

I do in fact know that lots of people abuse "administrator" privileges of one kind or another. Even though I'm retired, I am an industry insider, and I've never made any effort to hide that.

Since you apparently don't know basic security principles, let me clue you in. Ask any security professional, and one of the things they'll tell you is "least privilege." That isn't even a new concept with computer systems; it's as old as bureaucracy.

The only thing the top level user on a system needs to do is establish other user accounts. That person does not need to install programs, read email or play canasta in the top level account. Those activities are delegated to other people who have exactly the privileges needed to get their jobs done efficiently and effectively; no more and no less.

One thought I'd like to leave you with: "secure if properly administered" equals "insecure by design." If you've never stepped back from the cool toys you played with as a child, or the systems you work with now, you may not have any realistic idea of actual computer science as distinct from current malpractice.
Post by cthia   » Sat May 24, 2014 6:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The post was meant to be funny. It is obvious that somehow I have wronged you. Your posts always seem to be aggressive in tone. The last thread I encountered you John, I flat out refused to discuss with you because of this same aggressive nature. I posted as much. I do wish that it would stop. At least email me, tell me how I have wronged you so that I can give you a proper apology. I think, from last threads, that I have shown that apologizing is not beyond me.

Surely you are not serious that I give my real name so that this nonsense can follow me into my personal life. I have loved ones that I care about you know. And your asking me makes me feel uncomfortable.

Actually I had no problem stating my real name. And if you followed all of my posts you would have come by it on several occasions, my full name. Acquaintances contacted me and explained why that is not a good idea. So I edited my name out. Others may know that read the posts pre-edit. I was even going to use my real name when I first signed up. But I saw that hardly noone else did and I didn't want to seem...odd. It took me a day to think of cthia. This is my first forum.

It's just a forum. But civility is cheap.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JohnRoth   » Sat May 24, 2014 7:54 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

cthia wrote:The post was meant to be funny. It is obvious that somehow I have wronged you. Your posts always seem to be aggressive in tone. The last thread I encountered you John, I flat out refused to discuss with you because of this same aggressive nature. I posted as much. I do wish that it would stop. At least email me, tell me how I have wronged you so that I can give you a proper apology. I think, from last threads, that I have shown that apologizing is not beyond me.

Let's see if I understand the conversational twist here. You chose to not look at the substantive issues I had with what you said, instead opting to use an ad hominum attack by labeling my behavior "aggressive."

cthia wrote:Surely you are not serious that I give my real name so that this nonsense can follow me into my personal life. I have loved ones that I care about you know. And your asking me makes me feel uncomfortable.

Actually I had no problem stating my real name. And if you followed all of my posts you would have come by it on several occasions, my full name. Acquaintances contacted me and explained why that is not a good idea. So I edited my name out. Others may know that read the posts pre-edit. I was even going to use my real name when I first signed up. But I saw that hardly noone else did and I didn't want to seem...odd. It took me a day to think of cthia. This is my first forum.

The reason I asked for credentials is that you were making fun of my opinions, as if you were somehow more knowledgeable, had more experience or were senior in the field, and that entitled you to use humor to cut me down to size. When someone tries to pull rank, I want to know what their rank is. Maybe it turns out to be someone I actually think I can learn from.

cthia wrote:It's just a forum. But civility is cheap.

Yes, it is. There are sound reasons why the old-fashioned rules of procedure said to talk to the subject and avoid talking to the person. Sometimes us old fogies actually knew something.
Post by cthia   » Sat May 24, 2014 8:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
The reason I asked for credentials is that you were making fun of my opinions, as if you were somehow more knowledgeable, had more experience or were senior in the field, and that entitled you to use humor to cut me down to size. When someone tries to pull rank, I want to know what their rank is. Maybe it turns out to be someone I actually think I can learn from.

No John. I wasn't making fun of your opinions. But I accept that you feel that way. I apologize. Sincerely. I simply thought that it was funny, that you feel that pointer arithmetic was a problem, when in the 80's people loved the power it brought. I think that that's ironic. I wasn't making and challenges to your statement. Just an observation. I simply wished to share that bit of nostalgia. Many of my posts, certainly as of late, are done quickly. I have so many fires burning. As promised, I try and correct typos and grammar. It's not in my nature to be confrontational, although I can lose my cool just like the next guy. But I'll apologize, for the sake of decency, even if I do not feel I was responsible.

If you feel that I was belittling you then that really matters to me. And to you I say, forgive me. Please. Although it was not my intention, obviously it is what I achieved.

Something else. I really thought it funny your statement. Just funny. No aspersions cast, and I really was thinking that this was an opportunity to...mend fences with you over past incidences.

Perhaps I should be mindful of the tone of my own posts. I promise to do so.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Sat May 24, 2014 11:16 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

John, cut it out. Asking someone to post their real name and identifying information on this forum is beyond rude, and Cthia has every right to feel intimidated by your demands. Just stop now.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 4:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Okay, lemon meringue if you're going to throw pies. I always thought a good use of an AI would be to train on the mat. Instead of getting your butt kicked by Honor or Babcock. I know there are disadvantages to that. But it crossed my mind. I guess that's a bit of Laura Croft Tombraider.

Post by Michael Everett   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 5:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:Image

:lol:
At least I didn't get a disliked pecan pie in the face. Yuck!

Post by Yow   » Sun May 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

All that I understood out of this entire thread.

cthia wrote:At least I didn't get a disliked pecan pie in the face. Yuck!

:shock: cthia doesn't like pecan pie?

Bold italics quote by me.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 6:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Yow wrote:All that I understood out of this entire thread.

cthia wrote:At least I didn't get a disliked pecan pie in the face. Yuck!

:shock: cthia doesn't like pecan pie?

Bold italics quote by me.

:lol:
No Cthia doesn't. As far as pie goes, lemon meringue and apple. That's it!

I like pecans, but not in a pie. I like raisins. Love raisins, but loathe them in cereal, cakes, pies. Raisin cookies are okay, but the raisins are not whole. I like fruit, but whose idea was it to make a fruitcake, except...a fruitcake!?

Return to Honorverse