Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Mycall4me, tlb and 93 guests

Ray Chatterjee

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Ray Chatterjee
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun May 11, 2014 11:20 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

I don't know how many of you personally knew Ray Chatterjee, but those of you who did were fortunate.

Those of you who didn't know him in real life still encountered him, in a way, in Storm from the Shadows, as Commodore Ray "Bear" Chatterjee, DesRon 301's CO. He really was as big as a bear, too.

He was also one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet and a charter member of the Baen Barflies who was deeply involved in their comings and goings. I don't remember which con I first met him at, but I do remember that he was hunting down "beverages of choice" and was relentless about finding me one.

We lost him this weekend, after a very long illness, and we're all a little poorer for his going and a little richer for the time we had him.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Ray Chatterjee
Post by roseandheather   » Sun May 11, 2014 11:25 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:I don't know how many of you personally knew Ray Chatterjee, but those of you who did were fortunate.

Those of you who didn't know him in real life still encountered him, in a way, in Storm from the Shadows, as Commodore Ray "Bear" Chatterjee, DesRon 301's CO. He really was as big as a bear, too.

He was also one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet and a charter member of the Baen Barflies who was deeply involved in their comings and goings. I don't remember which con I first met him at, but I do remember that he was hunting down "beverages of choice" and was relentless about finding me one.

We lost him this weekend, after a very long illness, and we're all a little poorer for his going and a little richer for the time we had him.

Oh, dear.

Obviously I never knew him, but if he was anything like the character named for him, losing him is a tremendous loss to humanity in general and to the Baen family in particular.

Godspeed and God bless.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sun May 11, 2014 11:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Many blessings to that family. It is good to know that that character was patterned after someone real. Whenever I reread and encounter him in the book, it will have a new heartfelt meaning. In a way, he is immortalized.

Again,
God Bless The Family and Loved Ones.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Spacekiwi   » Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

My sincerest regrets to the family for losing him.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by lyonheart   » Mon May 12, 2014 5:48 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hello RFC,

The commodore was one of my favorite characters, as little as we saw of him, as telegraphed as his loss in NT was, despite the "Yada, yada, yada" line that I didn't feel would last 2000 years, although they would probably have something close.

I wanted to know about him, why he was so popular, how he earned his promotions, so losing that made his loss more painful, the loss of all three Roland DD's more real.

I hope sharing his character with so many readers and fans brought some solace to his family.

L

runsforcelery wrote:I don't know how many of you personally knew Ray Chatterjee, but those of you who did were fortunate.

Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by phillies   » Mon May 12, 2014 9:02 pm

phillies
Admiral

Deep sympathies. Thank you for immortalizing him.
Post by namelessfly   » Mon May 12, 2014 10:11 pm

namelessfly

How about commeorating the real life Chaterlee's memory with a short story about the fictional Chaterlee's exploits.
Post by Hutch   » Tue May 13, 2014 8:08 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

namelessfly wrote:How about commeorating the real life Chaterlee's memory with a short story about the fictional Chaterlee's exploits.

While I seldom agree with your Australopithecine politics ;) , fly, I fully agree with the above-like Dominica Santos (OBS) and so many others, he became a recognizable and likeable character in just a few pages and then was taken from us too soon, too soon.

My sympathies to the Chatterjee family on their loss.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Tenshinai   » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

:(
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed May 14, 2014 3:26 am

Michael Everett
Admiral

He is not gone, merely voyaging far away.

Godspeed, Ray.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Honorverse